•  

Thread: Are you missing this part too?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Question Are you missing this part too?

While giving my 2009 G3 Wave a thorough cleaning recently I discovered what I think is a major flaw in the front right fender. See if you are missing this part too. Open the front passenger door. Just in front of the door hinge on the body there is no rubber insulating panel that should close and seal the inside of the fender. As a result, dirt and other debris gets trapped inside the fender. On my car this cavity contains a considerable amount of wet mud. I think this will significantly shorten the life of that fender... it will promote rust from the inside out. Compare this to the front left fender and the black rubber panel is in place.

I asked my GM dealer about this and after a lengthy search through their manuals, parts catalog and service bulletins they concluded that the part does not exist. That is how these Aveos and Waves were made. They suggested I call GM directly about this to see if there is a fix or if there is one planned.

Have you noticed this on your car? Please check and see. If the rubber panel is absent on your car is will be easy to spot... there will be an open space inside your fender from the bottom to the top. Compare to the left side.

Please reply to me if your car is the same and maybe as a group we can get GM to address this.

Phillip

I'll keep it and add a turbo festersays's Avatar
      Thanks
      HAHA. I just checked on my 2009 Pontiac G3, and mine is missing too. It seems more like a foam-like piece that is missing. How do we go about getting this taken care of?

Kinda funny how something this blatantly obvious could have slipped by in production.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I think that if we get enough people to complain en masse,,, a petition perhaps, then maybe GM will do something. My dealer had a hunch that GM is aware of the issue based on the way the left side part was described in their parts list... it specifically said that there was no comparable part for the right side. Perhaps they have had inquiries/complaints already. Regardless I think a large group of complainants might get some satisfaction... a fix, or at some point new fenders for all. It's worth a try.

Thanks
      I agree. I don't know how we'd raise awareness about it, that's the main problem. Here's a picture of what we're talking about for people who don't know what to look for.

In this picture you can clearly see the black barrier to protect your fender from stuff getting in there. Driver side.

Here on the passenger side, you can see all the way through the wheel well/bumper.

I have no clue on why this is posting like this. At least you can clearly see the side where the piece is missing.
      Attached Images Attached Images   
      Last edited by festersays; 11-25-2011 at 01:33 AM.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      You silly, its for growing plants and tree's.... btw, that plastic barrier, doesnt do anything.....
      Attached Images Attached Images   
      Find Aveo How-to's at my blog. http://aveodiy.blogspot.com/
      Timing belt replacement how-to with photos and more....

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by DailyDriverMark View Post
      You silly, its for growing plants and tree's.... btw, that plastic barrier, doesnt do anything.....
      I hope those plants are legal!

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by phurst View Post
      just in front of the door hinge on the body there is no rubber insulating panel that should close and seal the inside of the fender. As a result, dirt and other debris gets trapped inside the fender.
      It is there to dampen sound rather than seal which is why GM could be selective about placement. Though is still strange that they saw need only on the tranny side fender.... saved them about $2USD/vehicle. Anyone know if they put this on the left for RHD cars, too?

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      its likely that since the left fender has the entire engine/front body harness running through it, right behind that insulation piece, there was more of a need to seal the fender cavity from different things, than the other side.

Thanks
      Might sound a little ignorant, but if we want that piece on the other side as well, couldn't we just order a replacement for the left side, and put in in backwards so it fits the right side?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by festersays View Post
      ...couldn't we just order a replacement for the left side, and put in in backwards so it fits the right side?
      That should work... you just need to specify "left" side. The local dealer cancelled my on-line order with apologies because I specified the right side when I ordered one thinking it was missing. I'm in the camp with it being a junk collector based on the garbage (but no growing plants) I cleaned out from behind it, so didn't bother getting one for the right since it was never there in the first place.