•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy your own car again?

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      old_biker, good to hear I'm not the only one who , on occasion will admit to enjoying a tinture a of "everclear". As for the Subaru, or its equivalent, I'm looking for a 2-3 yr old vehicle just out of personal lease. The manual trans I want is the "fly in the wine" since most people don't lease a three-pedal. If all else fails, I will look for a 2-3 yr old Jeep Unlimited with 6spd. I've downloaded a 2018 list of ALL suvs, passanger cars n trucks that are still available with 5 or 6 spd. I'm not interested in the European makes due to the outrageous, in my opinion, maintenance costs. Anything I end up with, must be rated (5) stars by the Insurance Institute. If all else fails, I'll keep my '08 Ram 6spd and continue to bitch about poor gas mileage.

Last edited by kcROB; 12-21-2018 at 04:44 PM.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I sent you a PM on why I asked about new or used car, good luck on your hunt, another oddity popped in my head, unsure if was offered in stick shift, but Honda made a Crosstour, all wheel drive, more like a Subaru in style.

Thanks
      The Honda HRV comes in a spl ordered 6spd, but NOT all wheel drive, same as Mazada CX5...no AWD, but a manual trans. Haven't chkd out VW, but I don't want a turbo...not needed the way I drive n a potential source of problems as time/miles accumulate.
      Last edited by kcROB; 12-31-2018 at 09:46 PM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      My Aveo has been a decent first car. It has a phantom starting issue that decides to pop up every couple of months that no-one seems to be able to diagnose, but when it starts 99% of the time it performs very well. I wouldn't buy another Aveo however; I'd like to avoid the worry about interference engines and timing belts. I want to upgrade to something bigger and with some more modern luxuries like electric windows, but the Aveo should be with me a few more years

Thanks
      NirAveo, good decision to keep your Aveo for a time! The longer you keep it, more likely you are to save money for an upgrade later. Word of caution: Many recently flood-damaged cars from Texas, Florida n other U.S.low-lying coastal areas have been declared salvage by U.S. insurance company standards. These cars have been shipped out-of-country (U.S.A.) to other countries such as yours n eastern Europe where they are sold.It is my understanding that a branded title such as flood, etc is "lost" when sold in other countries.The buyer would not know that the vehicle was written off as salvage. Salt n fresh water damage can be a major source of all maner of problems.Buy one of those n you will wish many times over you had your Aveo back.The cars literally rust from the inside out with a myriad of electrical problems, engine light on, etc. When you find the suv or big sedan you want, do all you can to trace its history esp if it is a U.S. made brand. Have a knowledgeable person check for signs of submersion. Avoid these vehicles no mater how they shine and all the bells n whistles they have. Your faithful Aveo will serve you well while you take your time n do thorough research on your next ride. Good luck!
      Last edited by kcROB; 12-26-2018 at 12:34 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kcROB For This Useful Post:

NirvAveo (12-28-2018)

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by NirvAveo View Post
      My Aveo has been a decent first car. It has a phantom starting issue that decides to pop up every couple of months that no-one seems to be able to diagnose, but when it starts 99% of the time it performs very well. I wouldn't buy another Aveo however; I'd like to avoid the worry about interference engines and timing belts. I want to upgrade to something bigger and with some more modern luxuries like electric windows, but the Aveo should be with me a few more years
      majority of engines made are interference, do not le that intimidate you. the alternative are chain driven cams, which have their own issues, some have issues if not completely full of oil, so just driving close to 1 quart low can damage chain. all cars have "issues" research before you buy to see if can deal with those issues.

for electric windows, I have not looked into issue yet, but I think there may be options to add them. I just got my car a few days ago, but that is 1 mod I have been thinking about. I want ability to roll windows up if I run into rain. lol. probably could add power door locks if wanted?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to old_biker For This Useful Post:

NirvAveo (12-28-2018)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Interesting point on the flood damaged cars - a major local forum here has an active thread where someone is struggling with issues in a Ford Focus that looks to be flood damaged after giving numerous electrical problems. This sounds like a case study in flood damaged cars that you mentioned.

Thanks
      I would definitely buy it if I saw my car, and knew what I was getting. It's at 190,000 miles right now, and waiting on a new door and fender after a deer hit last month, but drives fine. No oil or coolant leaks, and it's unusual to spend more than $800 any given year on maintenance - since I work on it myself.

But I'm only saying that because I bought it brand new with 47 miles on the odometer. Since then, it's been to Portland, OR multiple times, down the Pacific Coast highway, across Vail pass multiple times, to Casper, WY to see the eclipse, etc etc. It's been running Castrol GTX oil since I got it, and I tend to put in high quality parts - like my Contitech timing belt kit - rather than taking it to a garage.

I'll probably keep it until 250,000 or maybe a little bit beyond.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zchandran For This Useful Post:

northguest47 (02-09-2019)

Thanks
      No. Other than great gas mileage I can't say I like my car much.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks
      Yeah, I'd probably buy mine again.

I don't call it "Sacrificial Anode" for nothin'.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast