•  

Thread: Well.... I think I've reached that fork in the road....

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Well.... I think I've reached that fork in the road....

...And I'm pretty bummed! I saw this other little car, next thing you know, I'm made a deal, and now it's pretty much time to pull the tags from my aveo. So abruptly too!.

It was a trooper and the motor still runs as good as the day I drove it off the lot! I wanted to push it to 250,000 miles. I got close, tomorrow it should click to 190,000. That's why I'll be so sad to let it go. I'll really miss, the super cheap plug n play cruise control mod I did when I first got it. Best mod on any car I ever did!

I'm pretty sure this was by far the most economical car I ever owned, (not the most trouble free, but I do that work myself)

I'm also going to miss the room in the back (took the seat out long time ago). I could fit my E bike back there without taking the wheels off. The car would swallow it up right through the rear door.

It actually became my apartment for one summer, and even helped out as a shag wagon,lol one time.

I sorta wish I'd waited until Novemebr when the inspection is due... but maybe it's just time..here's it's issues, I may have been ok getting them all fixed, but the Uniboy is Rusting out bad in the lower rocker's (rust belt car). Rear passnger quarter has typical rot. Drivers side strut tower is nearly gone (passenger side was replaced late last year), oil pan leaks from an exhaust repair mishap with a grinding wheel, JB weld keeps it reasonable.

Needs a complete new exhaust, second oxygen sensor doesn't get a good reading due to a leak at the flange, so the check engine light is permanently on, along with the Airbag light.

I loved it's 5 speed fun. It only went thru 1 clutch. maybe 3 sets of brakes, 2 timing belt's. But there was all the regular failure prone fixes, wheel bearings and control arm bushing's. But fixed them all myself. For better and worse.

Over all I'd say I really won with this car. Perhaps, I could have and should have gotten one from down south to keep on running, with this one retiring as the parts car. But that's a lot harder than making the deal on the Smart car I've decided to replace it with. Yes, thats right I got a reasonable deal on a used 2011 smart car. We'll see if this goes good or bad! But I made a deal on it, and I can only afford to transfer the plates and registration from the Aveo, leaving my blueberry aveo without tag's. and basically parked. I will probably be interested in selling some parts off of it... I'm in Rochester NY. Hit me up if you need anything! Willing to sell the motor, transmission, ect. 4 decent aluminum 15" (factory) wheels with nearly new Douglass tires on them...

Over all I want to say thank you to everyone here who helped me with questions through the years. Sold me part's, and were genuinely a great group of dedicated individuals, all helping each other out. You guys Rocked!

Signing Off now with a sigh... Daily Driver Mark.

Find Aveo How-to's at my blog. http://aveodiy.blogspot.com/
      Timing belt replacement how-to with photos and more....

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Sad to hear that. Still, congrats and enjoy your new car!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rhyder7 For This Useful Post:

DailyDriverMark (03-17-2019)

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Would you be interested in selling the positive battery terminal? If so, how much would you want for it?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Wow, same reasons I had to give up my 73 Cadillac and 89 Olds over time. Rot set in BAD. Keep the lil guy, if you can, and you may run into a ruined engine w/good body for it's parts and have a go again?

I'm just starting my adventure with my lil hatchback. So far I'm happier with it than the 80 Chevette (name bbe cursed) I once had.
      An Aveo can at least get out of it's own way!
      The knobs stay on!
      The doors close!
      It don't crap out for no reason!
      You're not suddenly looking up at the headliner--because the seat failed!
      The hatchback doesn't smack your head!
      The body doesn't lean with you in!

I could go on! That Chevette caused a 30+ year distaste for itty bitty cars.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DWood For This Useful Post:

DailyDriverMark (03-17-2019)

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I'll let you know, still not sure if I'm going to re register it to use it for 5 more months as a work car / ebike adventure car.
      Find Aveo How-to's at my blog. http://aveodiy.blogspot.com/
      Timing belt replacement how-to with photos and more....

What do you mean there's no turbo? northguest47's Avatar
      Thanks
      It was the lack of volume that kept me from getting smaller. If you can do it, do it. Why pay gas to take steel everywhere, for example. Its a tough call you are on, in the metropolitan city the smaller the better for ease and safety, yet even the aveo is 'considered' small even though I can fit a full sized suburban recycling wheelie container in it