•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: transmission fluid

Should I keep it? red04fourdoor's Avatar
      Thanks

transmission fluid

why is the type 4 fluid that our cars use amber? seems like it would be easy to confuse with regular engine oil.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I guess we should be thankful no one accidentally put it on their pancakes..

You need to know what your fluids are if you are changing them. I'm not sure how confusing them should occur, if you drain the wrong thing, then you go to add more, its already full? So you would know you made a mistake.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      I guess we should be thankful no one accidentally put it on their pancakes..

You need to know what your fluids are if you are changing them. I'm not sure how confusing them should occur, if you drain the wrong thing, then you go to add more, its already full? So you would know you made a mistake.
      no I meant that somebody could accidentally put engine oil in there. it looks like engine oil. I know it's not but somebody who didn't know could. the dipstick even says "a/t oil". im a mechanic-in-training, I just never had or encountered something with this oil. what brand do you use?

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      What I liked about fluids with different colors/odors... being able to diagnose the new leak on my driveway from my 1st generation Aveo.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by red04fourdoor View Post
      no I meant that somebody could accidentally put engine oil in there. it looks like engine oil. I know it's not but somebody who didn't know could. the dipstick even says "a/t oil". im a mechanic-in-training, I just never had or encountered something with this oil. what brand do you use?
      You say:
      im a mechanic-in-training
      I smell a whiff of troll, baiting a response from the regulars here. No, A/T fluid is obviously a very different color than engine oil. In recent years GM even made the color of the oil dipstick handle yellow on the Aveo, probably to accommodate those who are illiterate in any language. But I think you already know the difference.

Einstein was right: "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

Also, IMHO, those who feign ignorance are best ignored.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      You say:

I smell a whiff of troll, baiting a response from the regulars here. No, A/T fluid is obviously a very different color than engine oil. In recent years GM even made the color of the oil dipstick handle yellow on the Aveo, probably to accommodate those who are illiterate in any language. But I think you already know the difference.

Einstein was right: "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

Also, IMHO, those who feign ignorance are best ignored.

uh I wasn't trolling. I really wondered why they used this fluid. ive never owned or had to do anything with a vehicle using this fluid. just was curious if anyone knew the specifics on it. Im sorry I asked. and yes, I really am going to school to be a auto tech. is that a problem of some sort? I never took our transmission class as it was an elective and cost extra money. sorry to have offended

Thanks
      Don't worry about it red04fourdoor. Thymeclock gets fire ants in his pants every once in a while. We're all here to learn and help each other, sometimes we just forget that.

Thanks
      thanks Daox.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by red04fourdoor View Post
      uh I wasn't trolling. I really wondered why they used this fluid. ive never owned or had to do anything with a vehicle using this fluid. just was curious if anyone knew the specifics on it. Im sorry I asked. and yes, I really am going to school to be a auto tech. is that a problem of some sort? I never took our transmission class as it was an elective and cost extra money. sorry to have offended
      It's very simple: all new transmission fluid looks RED and all new motor oil looks YELLOW.

If you do a search of this forum you will find detailed discussions about the transmission fluid used in Aveos.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      It's very simple: all new transmission fluid looks RED and all new motor oil looks YELLOW.

If you do a search of this forum you will find detailed discussions about the transmission fluid used in Aveos.
      this type 4 stuff can either be red or AMBER when new.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast