•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips for taking care of 2007 Aveo5?

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      The first scheduled maintenance would be the 60k miles, I would ask about that, 90% it was not changed.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      That is another question. I am supposed to go into the shop this weekend for them to recondition some scratches in the paint that wasn't done before I bought the car. I'm not sure when my "scheduled" maintenance intervals are, as 2 years of maintenance are included with it. Is that something that the dealership does as it is under warranty? (It is actually still under it's original GM warranty for another few months.)

I'll keep it and add a turbo Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by gorilla p View Post
      I'm not sure when my "scheduled" maintenance intervals are, as 2 years of maintenance are included with it. Is that something that the dealership does as it is under warranty? (It is actually still under it's original GM warranty for another few months.)
      Your scheduled maintenance intervals are in the owners manual link that I gave you in my previous post. It is under the section "maintenance schedule" and gives you the months/mileage you should be having your car serviced and what your service should include.....I follow the short trip/city schedule when doing my routine maintenance.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      OK, I looked and saw that. I'm supposed to replace the timing belt at 60K miles. I'm at exactly 60,218 miles right now (the dealer had it at 59,880 miles) I'm supposed to bring it in tomorrow. Is this something that they should do as the car is under full bumper-to-bumper warranty? I've read conflicting information in regards to this.

Thanks
      The dealer does not have to do a thing, but I would ask them to see if they will change it anyways, or at least inspect it, though that will not stop it from breaking if it was not changed to begin with. If the dealer does nothing, it will cost $500-600 at a good shop (do not let the dealer do it unless is somewhere in that price range) to have the belt changed/water pump, etc..., which should set you up for another 60k miles.

Still, if you complain enough, they should change it I think.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Aveo5_boy View Post
      Your scheduled maintenance intervals are in the owners manual link that I gave you in my previous post. It is under the section "maintenance schedule" and gives you the months/mileage you should be having your car serviced and what your service should include.....I follow the short trip/city schedule when doing my routine maintenance.

My 09 aveo has 100k miles listed. Does that mean I'm covered until then?

I'll keep it and add a turbo Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
      My 09 aveo has 100k miles listed. Does that mean I'm covered until then?
      If the factory warranty is 100,000 miles/5 year then yes you are covered to 100,000 miles unless the 5 years comes first. Now, from what was explained to me from my dealership was that it is important to have the timing belt inspected by them periodically (after midway point of your warranty) and this will avoid GM from trying to get out of the warranty repairs if the belt snaps. It seems weird that you are covered during that warranty period but GM will most likely say it was due to your negligence that you didn't get it inspected.......the whole mess could have been avoided if it was inspected by the dealer....blah, blah, blah.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Aveo5_boy View Post
      If the factory warranty is 100,000 miles/5 year then yes you are covered to 100,000 miles unless the 5 years comes first. Now, from what was explained to me from my dealership was that it is important to have the timing belt inspected by them periodically (after midway point of your warranty) and this will avoid GM from trying to get out of the warranty repairs if the belt snaps. It seems weird that you are covered during that warranty period but GM will most likely say it was due to your negligence that you didn't get it inspected.......the whole mess could have been avoided if it was inspected by the dealer....blah, blah, blah.
      +1, if you do not follow that manual like a law and do everything it says to do at the dealer than kiss your warranty and say goodbye. Of course though, the 2nd gen aveos seem to have been built very well, I doubt you will have any issues besides your normal problems.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

surprized thanks

thats Great thanks

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by gorilla p View Post
      The 1yr/12K warranty is full bumper to bumper. It also includes and 5 yr/100K powertrain warranty. Mine also included 2 years of maintenance including tire rotations and oil changes. (they threw in lifetime car washes as well) The powertrain warranty specifically says that "Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval".
      More info here.
      Used Car Warranty | Bumper-To-Bumper Used Car Warranty | Certified Pre-Owned
      The reason that I purchased this car and probably paid a little too much for it ($7800) is because I wanted something somewhat inexpensive that was clean looking, wasn't too ugly, got good gas mileage and had a good warranty on it. This is the car
      Congrats on the car. Tell us what you got. An automatic, manual, color, a sedan or a hatchback? Just ask your dealer to show you in paper when the belt was changed, IF it was. He has all the repairs in the records for the car. OR you can pay for 'CARFAX' to find out all about your car, all its reapirs, since it has been in use. I dont know how much it costs. But I think it is fairly cheap.
      I had that 2 year maintenance warranty to, GM gave it to me because of all the trouble I had with my dealer in the beginning. USE IT. Get evevery oil change you can, rotate the tires, align the front end, etc...it is worth it. That 1 year bumper to bumper had to have been expensive. USE it. For every creak or groan you hear. One year goes fast. This way IF you have the same problem come up after the warranty runs out, you have SOME proof that a problem exsists with whatever you had repaired,and you might get it fixed again for free, or at a discount, if you have proof that you had problems with it when you had the warranty.
      I hope the warranty wasnt to expensive. It is a pretty good little car, its not a beauty queen, but it lasts and it gets you where you want to go,and looks pretty good. Keep a good polish on it, my finish is still factory new, after 6+ years in the Fla. sun, I polish it throughly 4 times a year if not more, and not a spot of rust on it.

IF you are a do it yourself guy, I would replace the sparkplugs, go up to the top line Bosch ones. I had Splitfires and they were ok, then i went to Bosch Plus 4's, with 4 tips, and it runs even nicer and smoother, and I have very little mileage on my car. But at 59K , yours should have been changed before you bought it, but if not, you can do it easily for like $25. And replace your IN CABIN air filter. IF your dealer carries it, it is expensive, I found mine online after months or looking, and it is only $13! But my dealer still doesnt have one to this day! It will make your car smell fresh in a flash, if it has any odor in it. I changed mine at the 1 year mark, like the manual says to, and it was black, full of dust, tiny bugs, and just junk.

It took all of 10 mins to replace. Anyway. Thats some tips on keeping up your Aveo. Common sense things. With that warranty you have, man, use it! Fill us in on what you bought, are you a city driver or highway guy? Would love to hear about YOUR mileage experience. Enjoy your new ride.!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12