•  

Thread: Timing belt warnings

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Timing belt warnings

I have a 2006 Chevy aveo that I just bought from a dealership. It's got 99,914 miles on it and I don't know when or if the timing belt has been replaced. Is there any warning signs before a timing belt goes? A friend of mine that also owns a 2004 aveo says I have another 20,000 miles before it goes! Can anyone tell me the signs to look for or listen for.

Still love my daily driver classic67's Avatar
      Thanks
      well your freind is wrong most go between 70 and 80 some earlier some later you can ask anybody on here. I would just replace it to be safe its cheaper than a new engine for sure. If you dont feel that you can do it take it to the dealer and have them do it. If they dont and say your good than ask for a printed inspection from them so you are covered and if it goes then your not liable for bad maint. There arent many signs if any it just goes. It usaully happens when engine is under load like highway speeds or over reving 5-7000 RPM. Just what your driving and get it checked asap.

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Although the timing belts/pulleys on 06's seem to be sturdier than those on 04 & 05's (from what I read online), my 06 manual still says to change them at 60k miles. If your new wheels has 99+k, you're really pushing your luck going any longer.

I believe the 07's and beyond changed the recommendation to 100k miles.

I'll keep it and add a turbo Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by mcthumber View Post
      I believe the 07's and beyond changed the recommendation to 100k miles.
      07/08's are 60,000 mile replacement....ECOTEC engines from 09 and up are 100,000 mile replacement.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Ive read just as many stories on here about belts breaking as I have about pulleys and tensioners that will do the same thing and that is trash your motor! I would replace the whole timing kit which you can get on Amazon.com right now for less than $100. The Gates is the best to me for $97.80 and the AC Delco for $90.57 A mechanic would charge you about $700 but if you can do it yourself then thats even better. If you have any questions let me know. Ive done 12 of these so far so I know what Im talking about. No matter how good the belt looks, whats the engine time on the pulley and tensioner???? Thats why I would change all of it for less than $100.

PS If you want to just inspect the belt then just remove top timing cover thus exposing intake and exhaust sprockets with timing belt and bump stratrer evry 2 seconds so as to look at belt. All belts have 125 teeth. Good luck. I could tell you more but it would scare you.
      Last edited by patricklprice; 03-23-2013 at 04:36 AM. Reason: spelling

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Thanks everyone for the info... I think I will change it just for my piece if mind! Since the dealership I got it from didn't know if the previous owner had changed it or not.

What's wrong with my car? dmcnelly's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Aveo5_boy View Post
      07/08's are 60,000 mile replacement....ECOTEC engines from 09 and up are 100,000 mile replacement.
      Well ****. I'm at 52k, getting all ready to change my belt, and now I see this. Perhaps I should crack the owner's manual open.

(I've got an '09 sedan, icyww.)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Im a more of a hands off conservative approach guy meaning like it or not you will have to remove the water-pump so as to replace the the o-ring gasket while adjusting the timimg belt any way and you HAVE to remove both the pulley and tensiioner any way just to get the back plastic timing cover to spring out to remove the water pump anyway so you might as well as replace those components anyway.. It will take a saturday with parts in hand. The book says 2 hrs but for us less confident people that dont turn wrenches for a living then it takes longer. Any questions then write back. Get your kit from Amazon.com My mechancis wanted to charge me $785 and the dealership wanted $1,200. For what??? 2 hrs work? For a $100 to $200 in parts? And 2 hrs labor? The GM mechanic does it at job-rate at $14 an hr at $28 for his 2 hrs???? Sounds crazy I know but thats the way it it really is. Any ??? ask me. Ive done 12 of these. Come to Indianapolis and I will do it for a $100 with your help. NO! Im not ASE certified but I am a retired Army helicopter mechanic.