•  

Thread: Those who installed factory fog lights for 09-11 Aveo5 - What connector did you use?

Wants moh powah
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Those who installed factory fog lights for 09-11 Aveo5 - What connector did you use?

I'd like to add factory fog lights but it looks like they have a nonstandard plug on them. What are the connection options? Not looking to hack into the factory lights to do HID or anything I want it as close to OEM as possible.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i looked into this on my car and there was no provisions for the oem harness. So i bought a fog light kit and used that. You need a bulb type connector which is at pepboys/advance. i forget the number though, but i'm 99% sure it was the same connector end as the fog bulb. but i wired that into the aftermarket harness, and if you buy the headlight switch, you can wire it to the switch as well.

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      You were able to find an after-market connector that plugged in to the back of the factory fogs? The picture of the connector in the FSM looks like a specialty plug...but I haven't taken the picture down to Advance or Autozone to compare yet.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      I'm 99% sure you can buy the pigtails thru GM or autozone...you'd just need to know the bulb size when you go, which I don't know off the top of my head. but then you can just splice it to your harness and keep the stock bulb size. that's what I plan on doing when I get around to it..probably next project on my to-do list

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by wylee View Post
      You were able to find an after-market connector that plugged in to the back of the factory fogs? The picture of the connector in the FSM looks like a specialty plug...but I haven't taken the picture down to Advance or Autozone to compare yet.
      if you have the fog light already, you will notice the connector on the back is the same as the back of bulb inside, its just molded into the housing. If that makes sense.

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      I don't have the fog lights yet. I want to make sure I'll be able to make a weather resistant connection before I buy them. Aftermarket kits tend to have very poorly protected connections in my experience. Bling lights has a kit for ~ $75 but I'd rather spend a little extra and only have to do it once. Maybe the bling lights kit is good but past experience tells me there's no replacement for OEM stuff when it comes to head and fog lights.

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      Ok, looks like the OEM plug is an H11/880/881. I bought what was supposedly direct OEM replacements but they are H3's inside with what appears to be H11 plugs on the back. Had I known that DEPO lights were actually H3's, I probably would've ponied up the extra $ for GM parts.

Last edited by wylee; 04-02-2012 at 10:42 PM.
      Sorry GM, the Turbo Sonic was priced too close to the Focus ST. I gots me a Ford.