•  

Thread: those who don't have alarms MIGHT want to invest in one soon...

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks

those who don't have alarms MIGHT want to invest in one soon...

Automotive news just published an article about the most and least stolen cars for 2013, and I was HORRIFIED to see the AVEO on the MOST STOLEN list from NHTSA. (even though it was only for the 2011 MY, in my Mind i'm extending it to encompass the 2007-2011 MYs) so those who do not have some sort of protection in/for their aveos MIGHT want to invest in either an alarm system, a Large Dog, or start excercising your 2nd Amendment Rights.

Here's the article in question: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#axzz2YZ8eIt1Y

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 2010AveoLT View Post
      Automotive news just published an article about the most and least stolen cars for 2013, and I was HORRIFIED to see the AVEO on the MOST STOLEN list from NHTSA. (even though it was only for the 2011 MY, in my Mind i'm extending it to encompass the 2007-2011 MYs) so those who do not have some sort of protection in/for their aveos MIGHT want to invest in either an alarm system, a Large Dog, or start excercising your 2nd Amendment Rights.
      The dog idea is good, but if a thief is out to steal your car they might steal your car along with the dog in it. A gun is useful only if you are within shooting range of the car and are a good shot.

Frankly, I can't imagine why anyone would want to steal an Aveo considering its low resale value. But two other strategies are: keep it in a locked garage when at home, and/or install an ignition kill switch, that is well hidden - i.e. in a place where a car thief would give up trying to overcome it before he could find it.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      The dog idea is good, but if a thief is out to steal your car they might steal your car along with the dog in it. A gun is useful only if you are within shooting range of the car and are a good shot.

Frankly, I can't imagine why anyone would want to steal an Aveo considering its low resale value. But two other strategies are: keep it in a locked garage when at home, and/or install an ignition kill switch, that is well hidden - i.e. in a place where a car thief would give up trying to overcome it before he could find it.
      I can think of a Reason why: they are ripped apart down to their component parts, and sold on the Overseas Black market; especially the engines, since the NA Market has the Largest Engines.
      Last edited by 2010AveoLT; 07-10-2013 at 08:24 PM.

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks
      If they want your car bad enough theyre going to take it anyway. Nothing is going to stop them short of locking it in a bank vault. Full coverage insurances gives me a peace of mind. anybody want to steal my Cruze? I wouldn't mind buying the new Cruze Eco-D diesel!
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by NYChevoo View Post
      If they want your car bad enough theyre going to take it anyway. Nothing is going to stop them short of locking it in a bank vault. Full coverage insurances gives me a peace of mind. anybody want to steal my Cruze? I wouldn't mind buying the new Cruze Eco-D diesel!
      we actually rented a '13 Cruze LT (with the 1.4 Turbo and 6 speed auto) last month in Vegas and drove it to Bakersfield, CA; the Parents and sister could not fathom the MyLink Radio and DIC, and Black Leather Seats+California Sun/Heated Seat Game=Fully Cooked Behind! Dad actually felt CRAMPED in the Cruze, and yet when he drives Scoots, he feels FINE! (I've joked that Scoots has a TARDIS like Interior) so we traded the Cruze (and the Rental Company) for a Chrysler 200 (and later a Dodge Avenger) from Scoots' original owners.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      If you are serious about making a car much harder to steal, you will install a hidden ignition cut-off switch.

If you don't care whether the car is stolen or not, (especially if you are not fond of it) insure it to the hilt.

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 2010AveoLT View Post
      we actually rented a '13 Cruze LT (with the 1.4 Turbo and 6 speed auto) last month in Vegas and drove it to Bakersfield, CA; the Parents and sister could not fathom the MyLink Radio and DIC, and Black Leather Seats+California Sun/Heated Seat Game=Fully Cooked Behind! Dad actually felt CRAMPED in the Cruze, and yet when he drives Scoots, he feels FINE! (I've joked that Scoots has a TARDIS like Interior) so we traded the Cruze (and the Rental Company) for a Chrysler 200 (and later a Dodge Avenger) from Scoots' original owners.
      Then one thing I definitely will say is a negative about my Cruze is that the rear legroom is nonexistent. I had more rear legroom in my 2004 Aveo sedan. Even my wifes new 2012 Sonic has more rear legroom.

Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?