•  

Thread: Thermostat question

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Thermostat question

I can't get any heat but the good new is my thermostat is open so car does not overheat. How much does it cost to replace thermostat in 2004 hatchback? Can i do it myself? I have replaced thermostats in other cars i used to have but not sure about bleeding in hte aveo.

BattlingMaxo

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      "bleeding" is done basically the same way you do all coolant systems.

the thermostat can be replaced, get a metal housing with it, and it shouldn't take more than an hour with putting tools away.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      But the parts guy said some thermostats have a built-in housing which is about $70 while others it's just the thermostat no housing needed about $7.00 Not sure how to bleed The way i did it before was a bit of a headache, the info i found bleeding an aveo was not very detailed. if you have a link post it

jay
      What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      well the parts guy is probably talking about a thermostat with the metal housing as the plastic ones get brittle are not worth anything after a couple of years and you will be glad you changed over but that being said it is a relatively easy job and as the bolts and everything in in a relatively easy to get to position and napa has the metal housing for $37 and the thermostat for under $6 so spend a little money and buy the right thing and you will be glad you did when winter hits and your car needs to be at the proper operating temp anyway to run right as for bleeding it the way these are set up just fill it and the system will sort of "self bleed" itself .

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      There are a few things to look out for when changing the Thermostat on the Aveo. There are actually 3 different kinds for that generations motor. Two are plastic and have the thermostat integrated into the housing, the third is aluminum that has a separate replaceable thermostat. For the plastic assemblies there is an early one which was replaced after a recall notice that came out in about '06. If i recall correctly the revised model had a spout or 2 off the side which was used to divert coolant to the throttle body to prevent it from freezing open. The early model either had one spout or none. I cant remember exactly but when I replaced it last November I was sent the wrong one and had to exchange it.

But its an easy repair. the most difficult part for me was finding a tool to reach the Radiator drain with the limited tools I had.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      By the way mine have a metal housing, so i got lucky. I thought for sure since it is 2004 it would be plastic. I never had to change thermostat before and bought it new

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I think it may be more common for the earliest ones to have metal housings, I could see the integrated plastic housings being swapped in later as penny pinching measure. But Just take note on the torque specs when reinstalling, Ive seen a couple break from over torquing.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      ok, where's the drain plug ? thanks!