•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snowdrift-ing

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Snowdrift-ing

As most in the NE region have probably expirienced, its time to drive on snowy roads.

Im just south of Lake Ontario. Finally winter is hitting and the roads have been slick and slushy for a few days.

I've been getting good at drifting my aveo with the handbrake.

At first it was parking lots to get a feel for how the car reacts.

Today was my first on road--(oh and Im not telling anyone to actually try this or believe me). Better off not trying it, versus damaging your car.

On a snow packed road, early in the am with no other traffic present I had the tail wide turning onto a left hand road. I gunned it and it pulled out of the drift smoothly.

It would take a lot more car to get the same effect on dry pavement. It sure was cool feeling like I was in a skyline gtr for a second or 2...lol.

Hope my little aveo didnt mind. Seemed to handle it just fine

30 MPG avg.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      yeah when it got slick here a few weeks ago i was practicing too in a parking lot

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      My aveo did nice in the snow and slush too...it was quite fun

CarDomain
      For mods visit my CarDomain.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Oh...I did it with my hand brake too I wanted to mention.

I promised myself I wouldnt try ANY of my old tricks in this car (I ruined a new 1997 cavalier way back) My aveo has been so well behaved -knock on wood- that I couldnt help but try out this old technique.

Only on slick surfaces where it dosent take any major effort to get the back kicking out.
      like a clear, snow/ice covered parking lot and such.

I dont have it down pat....with my GM H body....a completely different chassis,and RWD I can keep the thing ridin sideways usually as long as I want.

But my new aveo is a totally different animal.

So I'm a little nervous and unsure of how this odd wheelbase responds.

I'm not used to the lightness, Fwd, and having the wheels way out at each corner. The H body is totally opposite.

You cant drive an Hbody at the speed limit on a snow covered highway.

The aveo shines here.
      30 MPG avg.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      I can get mine to slide a fair amount....and you don't have to be going too fast either. Did I mention I had studded snow tires? :P
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks
      One thing I noticed about the aveo in snow is that it's real easy for the back end to get away from you, or for you to misjudge your speed and end up in a snow bank. It likes to just "keep going." Though my old snow fun car was 1,200lbs... so maybe I'm just not used to it yet.

Use your handbrake to correct miscalculations. In most circumstances a 2wd vehicle will always be faster with the back end tucked in where it's supposed to be.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by exodus
      One thing I noticed about the aveo in snow is that it's real easy for the back end to get away from you, or for you to misjudge your speed and end up in a snow bank. It likes to just "keep going." Though my old snow fun car was 1,200lbs... so maybe I'm just not used to it yet.

Use your handbrake to correct miscalculations. In most circumstances a 2wd vehicle will always be faster with the back end tucked in where it's supposed to be.
      Ive also noticed the ease in which the back end breaks loose, on any surface in any weather.

my favorite trick that my co workers absolutely love is get goin, e brake it so u get moving into a circle, hit reverse, and keep it spinning. its quite a rush...its quite hard to nail perfectly, and not stall as i usually do because by the time i hit it in reverse, im usually spinning fast and accidentally leave off the clutch and slam the brakes...but in a fwd...reverse is a handy little tool...but u have to be careful

Thanks
      the reverse gear also has no syncronizer on it... you'll be chipping teeth in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by dmeech
      Ive also noticed the ease in which the back end breaks loose, on any surface in any weather.
      I thought I was crazy when the car would pivot on the front wheels under braking. Finally someone else who has seen it too.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

Thanks
      Where'bouts South of Lake Ontario? I am near Rochester, NY

Icelandic Blue with "LOW VEO" tags

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2396518

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast