•  

Thread: over heating

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

over heating

This morning i went to workout, a few minutes into the drive the check engine light came on. i thought nothing of it , then i noticed the temperature needle was getting higher so i stopped, and checked the water level, water in reservoir was almost empty. I put in about 3 litres and now it works great. I don't appear to have a leak so how come my water level was so low? I had the thermostat replaced about 6 months ago so I know water levels were good
      I am just concerned that i might have a small leak

BM

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by BattlingMaxo View Post
      This morning i went to workout, a few minutes into the drive the check engine light came on. i thought nothing of it , then i noticed the temperature needle was getting higher so i stopped, and checked the water level, water in reservoir was almost empty. I put in about 3 litres and now it works great. I don't appear to have a leak so how come my water level was so low? I had the thermostat replaced about 6 months ago so I know water levels were good
      I am just concerned that i might have a small leak

BM
      There has to be a leak (or possibly it might be a bad head gasket) as you have lost fluid. How old is the car? Have you noticed any white smoke coming out of the tailpipe?

I hope you didn't just use plain water as antifreeze/coolant is a must. Water is better than nothing in a pinch, but you will need to make sure the coolant is the right strength and that the radiator is full, as well as having the right level in the overflow reservoir.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      There has to be a leak (or possibly it might be a bad head gasket) as you have lost fluid. How old is the car? Have you noticed any white smoke coming out of the tailpipe?

I hope you didn't just use plain water as antifreeze/coolant is a must. Water is better than nothing in a pinch, but you will need to make sure the coolant is the right strength and that the radiator is full, as well as having the right level in the overflow reservoir.
      No white smoke coming out of the tail pipe and I did use all water Any advice on draining it a bit so i can add antifreeze? I will keep looking for any leaks. The only water on ground is from the air but i can't see anything else.

BM

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      The drain is a little hard to access. It's on the passenger side radiator tank, about half way down. I believe is takes a 14mm wrench.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      What was the code from the CEL? Likely unrelated, but perhaps it is. Do you have any idea how much sand is likely to be in the water you used? City water generally has less sand in it than well water. If it's likely to have a significant amount of sand, you might want to consider a full flush because sand can kill a water pump. Had you been checking the coolant level regularly in the 6 months since the T-stat was changed? If not, it could have been a very slow leak, and one of the usual suspects for slow leaks is the connecting hoses to the T-stat, especially if they reused the old clamps and hose.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      What was the code from the CEL? Likely unrelated, but perhaps it is. Do you have any idea how much sand is likely to be in the water you used? City water generally has less sand in it than well water. If it's likely to have a significant amount of sand, you might want to consider a full flush because sand can kill a water pump. Had you been checking the coolant level regularly in the 6 months since the T-stat was changed? If not, it could have been a very slow leak, and one of the usual suspects for slow leaks is the connecting hoses to the T-stat, especially if they reused the old clamps and hose.

I used city water but your slow leak suggestion is probably what it is I NEVER check levels, but i have been checking the last few days and water levels are the same even in the 90 plus degrees we have been having.

BM

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by BattlingMaxo View Post
      No white smoke coming out of the tail pipe and I did use all water Any advice on draining it a bit so i can add antifreeze? I will keep looking for any leaks. The only water on ground is from the air but i can't see anything else.

BM
      Don't just drain it "a bit". Drain the system completely and install coolant /antifreeze of the right proportions for your climate.

Also, you didn't answer the question asked: how old (and also) what is the mileage on this car?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      Don't just drain it "a bit". Drain the system completely and install coolant /antifreeze of the right proportions for your climate.

Also, you didn't answer the question asked: how old (and also) what is the mileage on this car?

Sorry, 2004 and about 132.000 Also i think there might be a small leak in the radiator but not sure. if there is a small leak what about using a stop leak it should work and will be a lot cheaper than buying a new radiator

BM