•  

Thread: New to here and new to owning a Aveo

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

New to here and new to owning a Aveo

Greetings, picking up a 2009 Aveo5 (automatic) for a commute vehicle for work. 112K miles in good condition. Going to go through when I pick it up all the fluid, filters, plugs etc.

Anything in particular I should be aware of? Common issues?

Thanks!

Last edited by kurthb; 12-12-2022 at 08:08 PM.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      At 112k, you should make sure there is a record of the timing belt being changed. Replacement interval is 100k for the 09+ model years, but they are not known to break early like any Aveo from 08 and before.
      Since it's an interference engine, a broken belt nearly guarantees bent valves and an expensive tear-down. If you are handy you can DIY it but, personally, as critical as that belt is I'd rather pay someone else to assume the financial risk of doing the work wrong.

Also, it's generally recommended to avoid platinum spark plugs and use either the standard copper or iridium plugs. The evidence is purely anecdotal, but it seems like people have more issues with platinum than the other 2.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Thanks for the reply, maintenance tasks are coming along. I believe the timing belt to be original just based upon the other belts look original, but that is an assumption. Trying to get the transmission fluid exchanged..5X so far and getting closer to an acceptable red color...oil changed, brake fluid and power steering fluids also changed. Need to remove the TPMS dash light, not worth looking into and old fashion keeping an eye on tire pressure myself works. Next up is plugs..hope to get to that in the next week. Back to the timing belt, might have my local trustworthy shop quote me a price. I can do it myself, but BRRRRR it's winter and I even in the garage is not ideal.
      Clock resets to 1:00 at almost every start...was thinking of just running the constant 12 directly from clock to battery, thought there might just be too much loss.
      Lastly keep getting a P0137, I know the upstream 02 was just changed before i bought it and this is pointing to the downstream..monitoring the downstream 02 sensor voltage I can confirm it is indeed low...going back to dealer for them to take a peek and maybe change the 02...