•  

Thread: n00b Questions...

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

n00b Questions...

I'm awaiting delivery on my new 2009 Pontiac Wave SE... Its the new VVT 1.6l 5-speed. I have done alot of research here and would like to get some confirmation on a few things along with some questions.... I have found lots of EU suppliers for the opels / kalos, but not alot for the N. American ones.

CAI - I have read that both a 92 civic/integra GSR one will work with a few tweaks true?

Exhaust - Seems alot of people using a Magnaflow universal, or a Flowmaster Delta 60. I read the best is to delete resonators as well.(cant touch the cats yet with the factory warranty) I am assuming all the piping is 2"?

Tires / Wheels bolt pattern 4x100, I have read things about people changing the tire size from a 185/55/15 to a 195/50/15 any benefits to this? is 17" the max size rim?

What else have you guys done, besides internals work, to help maximize fuel economy and performance?

Thanks is advance

Bforce

2009 Wave SE 5 speed
      2007 Dakota SLT 4.7L

Gone:
      2007 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Gas Pig
      2007 Cobalt LT 2.2L Familymobile
      2006 Cobalt SS 2.4L POS
      1986 Ranger XLT 2.8L Dropped n Chopped and missed

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: n00b Questions...

our engine is completely different from the early aveo.

that cai looks like it will still work though. althoug i was going to try this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-00-Ho ... 240%3A1318

i figure you will need to cut the pipe that goes to the throttle body down, and then use a piece from the other section to get it into the wheel well..

they do make a cai for the aveo on ebay too. but from what i can tell our throttle body sits at a different angle. which may or may not matter..

the exhaust is best at 2" if you free up restriction, we dont have the other things available to need a bigger exhaust than that.

tires people are running up to a 18 inch wheel. not many, the popular choice is a 17 here.. your question about the two tires sizes is the wider footprint of the tire for better traction and handling. while maintaining most of the same sidewall height.

fuel economy and performance don't really going together all the time. but do influence each other a great deal.
      right now, getting a light weight wheel tire combination (lighter than stock), a cai and freeing up some exhaust will give you some "power" and economy. Xiogary sells some parts on ebay to free up some more power (lightweight pulleys etc) and you can also do other machine work not jst engine internals to fee up more power (lighten the flywheel) so options are available, but nothing is buy and bolt on like a honda.