•  
    Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Miles per gallon went up

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 06T200 View Post
      Thanks for the tip Boris! One of the rare seafoam stories that actually has a positive conclusion - for a change. Any effort to clean the injectors (on the bench, or additives) can help restore a clean spray pattern and this can add on an MPG or so. But you can do this with any cleaner product, even straight kerosene, which is the main ingredient in most of these 'products'.

Here is one comparison showing what chemical cocktails are in these 'snake oils'. Comparision of some injector cleaner ingredients | Fuels and Fuel Additives: Gasoline and Diesel | Bob Is The Oil Guy

and the main ingredient in seafoam?? Naphtha - good ol lighter fluid! I would guess the additive packages in most pump gasoline (at least here in CA) contain many of the same ingredients.
      Here is a continued discussion of the subject that is relevant:

http://http://www.bobistheoilguy.com...opics/269397/1

There is no point in arguing with Boris in his defense of SeaFoam. People tend to become angry when their beliefs are questioned.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      Here is a continued discussion of the subject that is relevant:

http://http://www.bobistheoilguy.com...opics/269397/1

There is no point in arguing with Boris in his defense of SeaFoam. People tend to become angry when their beliefs are questioned.
      I do not defend anything. My best guess is you tried to fix a failing mechanical issue with it and you think it failed because a liquid in a bottle did nothing for you, or something along them lines.

You try to twist my post into whatever agenda it is you have, I won't have any part in that so thank god you are running along.

If you are so fancied by disputing what I observed then don't use feeble attempts at my intelligence and imply I don't know what's in it and then try to bring me down to your level and tell me it's nothing more than water that foams up the gas. On top of making yourself look ignorant to what is in the bottle and how it works you then pretend it did nothing. Well then prove it. Don't just come here and tell everyone you don't know what's in the bottle then tell me it's water and it actually did nothing. Cool story, really it is (your story). Now stop with trying to project your inexperience and lack of knowledge onto me. I know what's in the bottle, I know how what's in there interacts with moisture, sludge and varnishes. So come at this with hard evidence on why seafoam did not cause the mileage increase and explain to everyone what the actual cause was. Only then will you be seen as somewhat intelligent. You have failed miserably up to this point. Pretty sure my 11 year old boy knows more about maintaining a car than you do. From what you've said so far that's not an insult. Just an observed fact where I sit. Seriously dude, water that foams the gas.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Boris Bush View Post

You try to twist my post into whatever agenda it is you have, I won't have any part in that so thank god you are running along.
      I've been on this forum much longer than you have, and I'm not "running" anywhere.

In post #7 I wrote:
      I'm not attacking you. I'm questioning the validity and effectiveness of a product and your belief in it.

I accept that the SeaFoam worked for you. I never said that it couldn't possibly work. I questioned its ingredients and the manner in which it is being marketed.
      You conveniently ignore that and continue to squawk like a wet hen. You feel you are under attack because you have tied your ego to a bottle of automotive additive. With such a fierce defense of the product it suggests that you might be a sales agent for it.

You haven't added anything substantial to this discussion except relentless expression of how upset you are. It's time to calm down and untwist the knot in your panties.

Thanks
      Yawn.......

Simple & Clean :) AndrewButler05's Avatar
      Thanks
      From what I have read so far of this "discussion", I'm going to throw my two cents in as fairly as I can.

Thymeclock, when you first posted you tried to play a game of Jenga with the idea and composition of Seafoam. I understand that you personally don't use them, but you understand that they do work for some people and you don't deny that. Or you feel that they simply make people think that there is a noticeable difference when in fact there is not. That's fine, and is a matter of personal opinion. Sometimes your posts come across as a little condescending. I can see this from both sides, I see how you meant to state your opinion and mild understanding of Seafoam. I also understand how Boris read it as condescending to him personally. I mean no disrespect, that is an honest statement from me.

Boris, I don't think that you were too defensive. However, you are standing firmly on the evidence that seafoam had a serious positive impact on your mileage. I stand behind you on that, having personally used it and have family members that do in their vehicles. There is nothing wrong with standing on blatant evidence that something has worked. However, I believe that Thymeclock should have at least worded his first post differently.

I know this thread is about seafoam specifically, and it's effectiveness. It's chemical composition and what actually makes it tick, deserves another thread entirely. I would actually be very curious to hear people's arguments. This thread is about people who have had success with using Seafoam and possibly other additives. No offense, just sayin'.

*Takes a breath*

Being that I have now brought that up, here's my two cents on the "Additives" topic.

I don't drive that far anymore to work and back or running errands, not to mention the fact that this is a small town. I don't even use a full tank of gas in a months time, I use just over 1/2 a tank and top off.

I buy one of the Valvoline Nitro-Shot additives once a month when I fill up. Granted that is not Seafoam, but my Highway MPG still sits right at ~38 and about ~27 in town and has since the day I bought it.

A buddy of mine owns his own station and carries Phillips 66 fuel. It is decent fuel, but Chewy appears to like the Nitro-Shot and my mileage stays up. If I don't use it the mileage drops about 5 points off City and Highway, but otherwise runs perfectly fine with no other issues.

Granted, I have never used Seafoam in Chewy and won't unless it's needed. The Nitro-Shot works just fine, and I run Max-Life Oil and Transmission fluid. Why switch if what I'm using works?

My Dad and my Granny both use Seafoam in their older vehicles, and it does make a noticeable difference. They also buy one of the Nitro-Shots for their cars every few months to clean them out. They buy fuel at other places, so I know we aren't picking up "dirty" fuel and have to run cleaners all the time. Besides Troy's is a brand new station and has only been open a couple of months. They buy most of their fuel from him now, and I won't buy it anywhere else now. I ran the Nitro even when I was buying fuel at our JayC Co-Op, and my mileage has stayed up.

Just my two cents.

-Andrew
      Last edited by AndrewButler05; 02-06-2015 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Removed duplicate word...

Thanks
      Not to defend/offend anyone, but when I first saw this post it smacked of 'seafoam shill' IMO. Years back it was extremely common to see online posts from (so called) users with a very low post count, show up and post a similar claim. Something like " I saved $$ using XYZ product", what many were able to flesh out as paid marketing trolls, using clever marketing with a bit of research. Some sort of intake 'vortex' widget comes to mind, or 12vdc 'blowers' claims were really out there on many forums. So Boris, I think you accidentally, not by intent appeared as one of the said 'trolls' of the past, and this may have triggered some bias. I would not take Thymeclock's comments as an attack, just a bias perhaps, many of us have.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 06T200 For This Useful Post:

AndrewButler05 (02-06-2015),Thymeclock (02-07-2015)

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by AndrewButler05 View Post
      From what I have read so far of this "discussion", I'm going to throw my two cents in as fairly as I can.

Thymeclock, when you first posted you tried to play a game of Jenga...
      Please explain "Jenga". I'm not here to play games, I'm here to participate in discussion among adults. I don't understand foreign or colloquial terms, loosely applied.

Sometimes your posts come across as a little condescending.
      I fully agree. Some people will consider me condescending.

I can see this from both sides, I see how you meant to state your opinion and mild understanding of Seafoam. I also understand how Boris read it as condescending to him personally. I mean no disrespect, that is an honest statement from me.

Boris, I don't think that you were too defensive. However, you are standing firmly on the evidence that seafoam had a serious positive impact on your mileage. I stand behind you on that, having personally used it and have family members that do in their vehicles. There is nothing wrong with standing on blatant evidence that something has worked. However, I believe that Thymeclock should have at least worded his first post differently.
      Actually his 'evidence' cited is neither "blatant', nor provable. His testimonial is one of personal experience, and it may or may not be true or accurate. It is anecdotal. I'm not disputing that he believed it was beneficial to him. His testimony is based upon his personal observation and evaluation. However, that is not factual proof that any product is proven to be effective.

How many times do I need to re-quote myself before people start listening? I'll repeat my own words again:
      What I am saying is that it's just one of many automotive additives of dubious value. Additives are usually bought by people hoping for a quick fix and a cheap solution for a problem that is often expensive and irremediable. The auto parts stores have shelves full of such additives. Some do work. Some will never work. And some work some of the time, depending upon the circumstances.
      Andrew said:
      I know this thread is about seafoam specifically, and it's effectiveness. It's chemical composition and what actually makes it tick, deserves another thread entirely.
      No, this thread IS about Sea Foam, it's composition, and whether it actually works, or whether it is perceived as being effective. I see no reason to open another thread, unless it descends to the level of taking personal offense and defensiveness over opinion and criticism voiced about a particular, favored product.

I would actually be very curious to hear people's arguments. This thread is about people who have had success with using Seafoam and possibly other additives. No offense, just sayin'.
      Not everyone who has used SeaFoam (or any additive, for that matter) has found it effective. There is room for disagreement, and discussion of a topic is what civilized adults do - without taking it personally.

To get back to actual discussion: one of the people quoted in the discussion links about Sea Foam that I posted essentially said that he uses a lot of it. I'm wondering why use of any of it would be considered necessary, and even more so why using a lot of it would be desirable?

Simple & Clean :) AndrewButler05's Avatar
      Thanks
      I'm actually surprised that a man of your years does not know what Jenga is. You picked it apart entirely with your first post, if you were aware of Jenga you would have understood the reference perfectly.

Perhaps a Google search is in your future...?

I will not argue with someone this arrogant and condescending. You were the one that first posted negativity here, and keep defending yourself with the same flawed statement(s).

Anyone who has a personal bias towards Sea Foam or any of the other additives, does not need to repeatedly pick the substance apart.

Anyone else care to share their two cents regarding Sea Foam? It would be a contribution to this thread and make something of it. It does not need to be torn apart by Thymeclock, or really anyone else. This thread has enough negativity as it stands.

I rest my case with this...

-Andrew

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post

No, this thread IS about Sea Foam, it's composition, and whether it actually works, or whether it is perceived as being effective. I see no reason to open another thread, unless it descends to the level of taking personal offense and defensiveness over opinion and criticism voiced about a particular, favored product.

No. You can start a thread about its composition and if it works or not. This thread is about how I am getting continuous higher MPG after its use for the first time on a very well maintained no mechanical problems car.

maybe he should start his own thread on why he hates seafoam, what's in the can and how it fails. I would not post a discrediting post if he did. All I would say is after 99,500 well maintained miles I tried it in a tank of gas and subsequent tanks yielded a 4mpg increase. I'm sure there would be plenty of other replies where people posted they needed to change the spark plugs and it didn't help as well. Of course it will fail in an application like that.

My my guess is when he was young he used a mechanic in a bottle and it didn't fix his problem, now all car related chemicals are failures to him.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Boris Bush For This Useful Post:

AndrewButler05 (02-07-2015)

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by AndrewButler05 View Post
      I'm actually surprised that a man of your years does not know what Jenga is.

Perhaps a Google search is in your future...?
      Talk about arrogant and condescending. Your comment is demonstrably that. Anybody can Google anything, but frankly, I don't care or need to know about Jenga because it has nothing to do with automotive additives. No one knows everything - not even you.

I will not argue with someone this arrogant and condescending. You were the one that first posted negativity here, and keep defending yourself with the same flawed statement(s).
      So that's it. You have appointed yourself to be the speech police and no negativity or skepticism is allowed, because it disturbs you..

Anyone else care to share their two cents regarding Sea Foam? It would be a contribution to this thread and make something of it. It does not need to be torn apart by Thymeclock, or really anyone else. This thread has enough negativity as it stands.
      In other words, only positive comments about SeaFoam are now welcome in this thread. So don't dare say anything other that that or you will be belittled. That's an attempt at silencing others through intimidation.

Okay...

Seafoam is the best additive ever invented. It works miracles! It increases MPG! Everyone should use it, the more frequently, the better. Never question this product or claims made about effectiveness. People who question or disagree need to be ridiculed and SILENCED!

Are you happy now?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast