•  
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Making the headlights really clear?

Thanks
      I used that Turtle Wax polish, and worked fine, but after 6 months or a year, the lenses became a bit yellow and blurry. What I did was to use polishing compound to restore them again, and worked fine, at least by now

Chevrolet Aveo 1.5L SOHC 8V
      - El Salvador, Central America -

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by gothstone View Post
      You can sand or polish by hand or with a kit. No matter how you do it your taking a thin layer off the plastic. You will also be taking off most of the UV protection, so after you do it they will yellow faster. Get a plastic UV protectant coating and apply it to the headlights every time you wash the car. The one I've been using is Bluemagic Headlight lens sealer because that's all I can find in my area. Before I started using it headlights had to be redone about once a year. Now I can go 3. I miss the days of sealed beams and new glass every time you bought lights.
      I appreciated and agree with all your comments - except the word "sand".

It's a very fine line between fine abrasives and polishes. Even toothpaste is rather abrasive, compared to some compounds. Hand washing and use of a plastic polish will probably do the job.

I too miss the days of glass headlights. Nowadays they would make the entire vehicle out of plastic if they could, with products lacking durability or permanence: touted as "affordable" and soon disposable, by design.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      I appreciated and agree with all your comments - except the word "sand".

It's a very fine line between fine abrasives and polishes. Even toothpaste is rather abrasive, compared to some compounds. Hand washing and use of a plastic polish will probably do the job.
      It depends on the damage. For just yellowing polish is enough. For deep scratches it would take forever. When I've been too low on $ for a nice kit I've grabbed 300, 500, 1000, and 3000 grit sand paper at the hobby shop and stepped through them to get the job done. You still have to finish with a polishing compound to get really clear, but the lower grit (Ha ha, low at 300 which is about the highest you go with paint!) helps rip off the scratched surface, and each progressive step higher gets you a bit closer to smooth again. But ya, if the lights aren't deeply scratched your just wasting material by sanding first. A buddy of mine with a newer Lexus asked me to do his. When I took a look I laughed at him and pulled out a bottle paint prep wax and tar remover and gave them a quick wipe. They sparkled. His "yellowing" was just build up of poorly done wax jobs.

Thanks
      Plastix or the Blue Coral brand works great. I've tried both and they are good.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      wetsanding the headlights is the best method in my opinion. I was buying nasty yellow headlights on craigslist for $40. and restoring them then putting them up for $150. a set. 600/800/1000/2000 grit wet sand paper. must always go opposite direction when doing so. then follow with ScratchX 2.0 and then PlastX...I do this on my aveo now too. Here's the actual right up I follow

How To: Polish the Headlights

the headlight on the left used to look like the one on the right. when wetsanding headlights if they start to look worse than what you started then your doing it right...

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by jnhalstead View Post
      wetsanding the headlights is the best method in my opinion. I was buying nasty yellow headlights on craigslist for $40. and restoring them then putting them up for $150. a set. 600/800/1000/2000 grit wet sand paper. must always go opposite direction when doing so. then follow with ScratchX 2.0 and then PlastX...I do this on my aveo now too. Here's the actual right up I follow

How To: Polish the Headlights
      You really know your stuff about abrasives.

The only reason I took exception to the word "sand" is that most people think of sandpaper as being coarser than 400 grit. In other words, those who aren't so knowledgeable might end up doing more harm than good.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by jnhalstead View Post
      wetsanding the headlights is the best method in my opinion. I was buying nasty yellow headlights on craigslist for $40. and restoring them then putting them up for $150. a set.
      Impressive and sweet side business with a nice profit. Kudos!
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Should I keep it? Merlins_Holden's Avatar
      Thanks
      In the aircraft business we use something called Micro mesh. It is a series of finer grit emery cloth (up to 12,000 grit) and it basically polishes out crazing, cracks and fading very effectively. I have crazing from a past owner using Windex (ouch)...

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Merlins_Holden View Post
      In the aircraft business we use something called Micro mesh. It is a series of finer grit emery cloth (up to 12,000 grit) and it basically polishes out crazing, cracks and fading very effectively. I have crazing from a past owner using Windex (ouch)...
      I actually looked up Micro Mesh, and the company that makes it actually has an automotive Kit!

What's wrong with my car? jimbomac1961's Avatar
      Thanks
      Save time. Go right past the wax/polishes. Go right to the bodywork section. Buy the 3M headlight restoration kit. It works exactly as advertised, from lightly hazed to the worst oxidation. They will stay clear. You won't regret it. (And no I do not work for 3M!)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast