•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At a loss on this one?

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

At a loss on this one?

Hey gang. I'd like to think I'm somewhat a common sense type of guy when it comes to cars and fixing the things. The car "sometimes" shakes at high speeds around 55 to 70. Obviously alignment!.....Nope. Had it done and supposedly its right. Tire pressure - good. Checked the tie rods and all joints - good. Shocks are a bit shot but Im not thinking that would be to much of an issue on that? Tires are newer tread. So Im stuck. It comes and goes. I could be cruising along at 65 and having a good shake for 5 miles then smooth as a whistle for the next 10. By the way its a 2004 Aveo. I did notice the left front left wheel bearing is starting to give me that "hum" a sligh5t bit telling me that's going to need some attention soon to yet its no where close to needing opened up to give me any kind of issues like this.
      Any thoughts?

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Uriken View Post
      Hey gang. I'd like to think I'm somewhat a common sense type of guy when it comes to cars and fixing the things. The car "sometimes" shakes at high speeds around 55 to 70. Obviously alignment!.....Nope. Had it done and supposedly its right. Tire pressure - good. Checked the tie rods and all joints - good. Shocks are a bit shot but Im not thinking that would be to much of an issue on that? Tires are newer tread. So Im stuck. It comes and goes. I could be cruising along at 65 and having a good shake for 5 miles then smooth as a whistle for the next 10. By the way its a 2004 Aveo. I did notice the left front left wheel bearing is starting to give me that "hum" a sligh5t bit telling me that's going to need some attention soon to yet its no where close to needing opened up to give me any kind of issues like this.
      Any thoughts?
      Is it shaking through the steering wheel or through the seat? And have you had the wheels balanced? (It will shake at certain speeds if it’s thrown a wheel weight.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Its shaking through the steering wheel. The wheel balance. Jeez. I guess common sense isn't so common!
      It has them sticker type flat weights on it that fall off real easy that I noticed are missing on that wheel in particular now that you mention it.
      Thanks.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Uriken View Post
      Its shaking through the steering wheel. The wheel balance. Jeez. I guess common sense isn't so common!
      It has them sticker type flat weights on it that fall off real easy that I noticed are missing on that wheel in particular now that you mention it.
      Thanks.
      Are they alloy wheels or steel wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's wrong with my car? Arrakark's Avatar
      Thanks
      Does the shaking subside if you let go of the gas by any chance? Just want to rule out engine.

I have something very similar to what you described on another car due to old CV joints. How did you check the joints? Is it even possible to pull back the boots?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Thanks gang for responses and taking the time to put in any advise. This forum is great. So oddly. I'm at work and in my office and across the cubicle I hear a coworker talking to the guy across from me about how he just had a guy changed his front wheel bearings cause his steering wheel would shake and he had bad rubbing sound and all that. BINGO! My front left driver side I know has a wheel bearing going. I checked everything else. Wheel balance. CV joints. Tie Rods. Alignment. Here in Cleveland we have cool morning now (66 degrees) and warm evenings (85 degrees). Pretty big temperature swings. So on the drive in it doesn't act up so bad staying on the cooler side it seems. But when its hot and that things heats up faster it really gets shaky. Its seems like the bearing is falling out of the hub (hotter) cause when I make a turn ( I recall to the left ) it will make it shimmy bad if I don't work the wheel back and forth to the right. I got to get this fixed liked now before something bad happens to someone else and myself.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Uriken For This Useful Post:

2010AveoLT (05-26-2021)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Arrakark View Post
      Does the shaking subside if you let go of the gas by any chance? Just want to rule out engine.

I have something very similar to what you described on another car due to old CV joints. How did you check the joints? Is it even possible to pull back the boots?

Just wanted to say thanks. Your Jeopardy question was the correct one. Its the CV joints. I do have a bad wheel bearing but its just in the early stages of needing replaced. The CV joints is the vibration issue.
      Thanks!

What's wrong with my car? Arrakark's Avatar
      Thanks
      Hahah I'm glad I could help!!

As a side note, I heard someone just today talk taking apart the CV joints to clean them to extend their life? I'm going to check that out as a possibility on my aging car.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      When I bought my 2005, it had obviously hit a curb with the right front wheel. After doing some front end work, and new tires, I took the car for an alignment. When the new tires were mounted, balanced, and installed, it was determined that at least one of my wheels was sligtly warped, but not enough to replace as of yet. Because of this, I get an occasional, high speed slight shake/shimmy in the car. I don't drive it more than 5 blocks most of the time, so I haven't gotten around to replacing them yet. Sounds like you may have a rim or two that is out of round like me.

Also check your tires. If the car has sat unused for any extended amout of time, the tires could have become flat spotted, dry rotted, and/or cracked. Hope this helps.
      Last edited by Hoosiertrucker; 06-28-2021 at 10:05 PM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I was hoping I wouldn't have to return to this post as the car seemed to be fix. I did a full wheel and hub bearing change and it was golden for a few weeks. Apparently the steering knuckle pocket for the bearing was sloppy or I received a bad bearing kit (or it could have been pressed in out of runout?). We had a couple hot 90 plus degree days in northern Ohio which "we only get a couple times a year" yet I did a good amount of driving that day. Sure as ever the shaking started again. Just like before when the bearing went bad. Right away I thought the spindle nut backed off and therefor had the wobble starting but it was tight and crimped on the shaft key like before. Pulling it apart it had time to cool off but even somewhat warm I could see a small amount of play in the bearing pocket. I'm sure when it was red hot it had a lot of play due to the metal being heated up. I managed to find a new steering knuckle and another bearing and hub kit to try this again. CARid I found online in New Jersey and surprisingly they had stuff that everyone else says that they cant get and the prices seem very good. We will see when it gets to my doorstep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast