•  

Thread: Looking at a used 2011 Aveo

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Looking at a used 2011 Aveo

Hi guys, I;m a new guy here with an Aveo question. I was at a dealer yesterday looking at a 2010 Focus when I noticed a 2011 red Aveo LT sedan a couple cars down. I really liked the look of it and was going to take an inside look but it was locked and I didn't feel like dealing with a salesman. I came to ask mostly about 2 things: Interior room and reliability. The Focus I sat in had a large seat and lots of leg room. Is the Aveo the same way? I want a car where I wont hit my knees on the steering wheel and feel cramped (Im 6' and 195 LBS) Also, has this been a reliable car for you guys? Thanks!

Last edited by john14; 01-03-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i am happy with mine, its at least as reliable as a focus. I have seen cars of both models with no issues ever, as well as some owners who were never satisfied.

the room, i am 5'11" and 250.. i fit fine, seats not all the way back, not hitting steering wheel, but i do find my knee resting on the dash near the radio a lot. I think gm thinks since your knees are bent in the upright seats your knees stay together? its not uncomfortable or anything (unless my knee hurts that day and i "bump" it. I have friends and family who are 6'7" and 6'5" they both have sat in the car and commented its actually roomy, but again its how you situate yourself in the seat.. how did you fit in the focus? the aveo is a little more "upright" seating like an suv so to speak.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      +1 Rabbit, if I was in that price point again, I would buy another Aveo/Sonic most likely.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      interior room is about same.aveo trunk is bigger.aveos weak points would be bushings(rear axle,front strut)engine on focus feels a little peppier.but not totally sure about the new engines on both the new cars.focus has a stellar track record from 2005 and up.but i have 2 aveos and 0 focuses.my opinion is solely based on 05-09 models so cant truly say about 11s.resale value seems to be better on the focuses over the aveo.dont think any of this helps but its all i got.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I'm 5,11 as well and fit fine height wise, just as comfy as my old Lumina. The newer ecotech will net you better/awesome city mileage, I've been averaging around 25-27mpg in the new US format around the city for the most part (some loss in the winter but yeah). Get rid of the stupid resonator in the fender and you'll love the little 1.6 even more. So far mine has been good.

Edit: Also my owners manual says I need to check my timing belt every 100,000 miles versus whatever it was on the older motor. Sorry I don`t remember what it was.

2010 Pontiac G3: Rear Lip Spoiler | Aftermarket Power Door Locks | Vinyl Side Stripes | Accented Interior

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      At 6'1", I fit the Aveo relatively well as long as I don't use the left cup holder that slides out of the dash; that space is reserved for my right knee. FWIW - The focus is not in the same class as an Aveo. The Aveo is a subcompact while the Focus is a compact.

Reliability is very subjective. Here's my experience of non-maintenance repairs:

1.) @ 8,300 miles - Dead battery after sitting for 2 days. Nothing was left on and it hasn't happened since and has sat for nearly a week a few times. No repair was ever done other than a jump start, but it did leave me with an uneasy feeling about the car for a few weeks. I strongly considered installing a Priority Start.
      2.) @ 20,100 miles - The factory AC condenser had a leak after I installed the rest of the AC parts (Warranty covered it)
      3.) @ 41,800 miles - I tracked a noise to the right front wheel bearing. (Warranty ends at 36k, I changed it myself. It would've been a $3-400 job at the dealer.)
      4.) @ 42,500 miles - There is a very minor (no drips) coolant leak somewhere under the hood. (Not fixed yet, gotta find it)
      Last edited by wylee; 01-04-2012 at 07:30 AM.
      Sorry GM, the Turbo Sonic was priced too close to the Focus ST. I gots me a Ford.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
      I'm 5,11 as well and fit fine height wise, just as comfy as my old Lumina. The newer ecotech will net you better/awesome city mileage, I've been averaging around 25-27mpg in the new US format around the city for the most part (some loss in the winter but yeah). Get rid of the stupid resonator in the fender and you'll love the little 1.6 even more. So far mine has been good.

Edit: Also my owners manual says I need to check my timing belt every 100,000 miles versus whatever it was on the older motor. Sorry I don`t remember what it was.
      The 1st gen=60k miles, 2nd gen=100k miles

The only thing I replaced on my aveo was the brake light switch which was only $50 (after an expensive ticket that is )