•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Junk!!

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks

Junk!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      I'm assuming the 2011 is the same as a 2009, which mine is.There is only one cat, and it is in the front of the second pipe downstream from the manifold flex pipe. There is no cat in the manifold since 2009. I know this for a fact, because I changed the flex pipe on my 2009 myself, and that's what is there (and what is 'not' there).
      if there is no Catalytic Converter in the Exhaust Manifold for the Gen III Engine; then Explain the Existence of THIS Picture:

I changed out Both the cats on my car (a 2010 Sedan with the Gen III engine), and THIS is the exhaust manifold; I look into where the flex pipe goes in, and you can CLEARLY see the Catalyst in there!

EDIT: went and retrieved my old manifold, and took a picture of the end where the flex pipe goes.

Last edited by 2010AveoLT; 10-10-2016 at 02:51 AM.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Apparently you are correct. I wasn't looking inside the manifold when I replaced the flex pipe. In other words, if you want to replace the cat that's in the manifold you would need to replace the whole manifold. But the one in the exhaust pipe downstream is visible, once you remove the flex pipe. IMO it's not a good idea to have two cats instead of only one.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      Apparently you are correct. I wasn't looking inside the manifold when I replaced the flex pipe. In other words, if you want to replace the cat that's in the manifold you would need to replace the whole manifold. But the one in the exhaust pipe downstream is visible, once you remove the flex pipe. IMO it's not a good idea to have two cats instead of only one.
      My theory is there are 2 cats because GM wanted Tier II Bin IV/ California ULEV Certification; but it's the CARB ULEV certification that was likely the deciding factor. And those Converter Nazis don't want to certify an aftermarket Maniverter, so our California members are stuck having their bank accounts BRUTALLY RAPED by GM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 2010AveoLT View Post
      My theory is there are 2 cats because GM wanted Tier II Bin IV/ California ULEV Certification; but it's the CARB ULEV certification that was likely the deciding factor. And those Converter Nazis don't want to certify an aftermarket Maniverter, so our California members are stuck having their bank accounts BRUTALLY RAPED by GM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may be right. But the two cat model should have been only delivered to California, not to all 50 states. Of course we also know that since GM was baled out by the federal government, GM now means "Government Motors".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12