•  

Thread: How much might I get for an 04 Aveo that needs a new motor?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

How much might I get for an 04 Aveo that needs a new motor?

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. My 04 Aveo broke down yesterday. Mechanic said timing belt broke, pistons are bent, and I need a new engine. Bottom line is, my family has provided me with a car. I'd just like to sell the Aveo as is, as I'm sure someone will take it and fix it themselves. Does anyone have any ideas as to how much I might be able to get for it? I've had an offer for $500. No idea if that's good or not. Thanks.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      If the valves are bent (not the pistons, or your guy is crazy ) then you could replace the head, etc, you will spend at least $500-700 to fix it if not more, the car is worth at least $3000 depending on the model, transmission and such. I would fix it if you can do it yourself, but if you want to cut your losses and move on, just take the $500 and run with it. The belt should have been changed at the 60k mile interval, how many miles was on this belt?

Thanks
      I want to add if the car has a ton of miles, or has been beat up and such, then I would think about the $500, but really, if it is clean, low miles and not the SVM and such, then consider fixing and selling for more money if you get a mechanic to do it for a decent price.

Thanks
      Car has about 80,000 on it. To be honest, I know next to nothing about cars and had no idea about getting the timing belt changed. Oversight on my part. And you're right hunterooo, it was the pistons, not the valves. Shows how much I know about cars.

Thanks
      Only 80,000, not too bad, that means that was the stock belt at 7-8 years and that many miles

It is your call, if you want rid of it now, take the money, I would bet you could get more than $500 if you list it on Craigslist or local newspaper as it is now, just depends on how you feel. It may be good to just move on and not worry about it. I respect you a lot, most people come on here pissed off when they do not follow the 60k mile rule, that is better than knowing a ton about cars to me
      Last edited by thehunterooo; 01-08-2012 at 03:28 AM.

Thanks
      Would you think that if it was just the timing belt braking and bending the valves, I'm probably just going to need a new head? Or is there still a good chance that the whole engine is shot and I need to replace it? If it's just the head, I think it could be worth it to have fixed then sell the car in running condition.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      its a 50/50 shot of whether its just the valves or also the pistons, depends on how much "running" you did after it broke.

If you fix it, keep it. A car with a fresh top end is better than most cars you could buy in the same price range with other unknown issues.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      its worth only what some1 is willing to pay.you could keep it up for sale to see if u can get more if you have the room.you could also part it out.get 100.oo windshield...250.oo for 4 tires/rims tail light lenses,interior.....ect.here in ontario.ca there are some decent ones 500-900 with broken timing belts.