•  
    Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Highest Mileage Aveo (how many miles / km on yours now?)

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      After washing it this afternoon.. 2005

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to partsguy662 For This Useful Post:

AndrewButler05 (02-29-2016)

Thanks
      2011 aveo lt 135000

Thanks
      Excellent, Keep up the good work!

Thanks
      In respone to highest mileage aveo.. I currently have a 2007 pontiac wave sedan. Purrs like a kitten. I put 90km a day on er doing 140. Only repairs since I got her at 116000km other than synthetic oil changes every 5000km, regular air filters and now am cold air intake upgrade, sparks plugs once, headlights, I did a tranny flush and valve cover seal a bit back. She now has 206404km and going strong. Anyone out there with a comparable high mileage?

Thanks
      Impressive... I'm at 206400. I hope I make it as far as you do. She's 2007 wave regular synthetic oil cold air no real big repairs. Valve cover seal I guess was the only "bad" one. Anyways take care happy travels

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

fuel pump longevity

Quote Originally Posted by Frawley View Post
      The 2007 Chevy Aveo I purchased new has 259,476 miles on it. It still runs great!
      I've got two Aveos in the family, one with 115k the other with 185k.....both up to date on all maintenance....the only thing I worry about is the fuel pump on the 185k engine........I'm thinking about replacing it just as insurance........am I needlessly worrying ???????

(how many miles have people been getting on fuel pumps especially if they are never run down below a quarter tank of gas)

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by old n' slow View Post
      ....the only thing I worry about is the fuel pump on the 185k engine........I'm thinking about replacing it just as insurance........am I needlessly worrying ??????? ...
      Yes, IMO definitely needless worrying. Worst case would be just one inconvenient day if it ever quits on you. And who's to say that one of those aftermarket pumps is even going to outlast the OEM unit that's on there now.

Now if you want something to lose lots of sleep over, how about the oil pump? By the time the idiot oil light comes on telling you the pump is dead, it's almost certainly going to be too late to save the engine. However, I wouldn't consider swapping that out either, for the same reason as with the fuel pump. Plus it's a really big job, which is not a small consideration either.

However, I have given lots of thought to teeing an oil pressure gauge off the sender unit, and running it into the cabin. That would be a modest amount of $$ and work, in exchange for possibly saving the engine somewhere down the road. I still find it hard to believe that the entire auto industry believes it's unimportant for a driver to be able to monitor the oil pressure. That's what happens when bean counters are in charge of decisions like this instead of the engineers. Just another useless rant there.
      Last edited by avguy; 03-10-2016 at 08:42 PM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      Yes, IMO definitely needless worrying. Worst case would be just one inconvenient day if it ever quits on you. And who's to say that one of those aftermarket pumps is even going to outlast the OEM unit that's on there now.

Now if you want something to lose lots of sleep over, how about the oil pump? By the time the idiot oil light comes on telling you the pump is dead, it's almost certainly going to be too late to save the engine. However, I wouldn't consider swapping that out either, for the same reason as with the fuel pump. Plus it's a really big job, which is not a small consideration either.

However, I have given lots of thought to teeing an oil pressure gauge off the sender unit, and running it into the cabin. That would be a modest amount of $$ and work, in exchange for possibly saving the engine somewhere down the road. I still find it hard to believe that the entire auto industry believes it's unimportant for a driver to be able to monitor the oil pressure. That's what happens when bean counters are in charge of decisions like this instead of the engineers. Just another useless rant there.
      Understand your point....I've installed many oil pressure gauges in my old cars over the years ( it was a lot easier on old vehicles) , but I also carried a spare fuel pump when they had high mileage and only two bolts held them on the side of the engine....... I guess my real question is, on these high mileage Aveos do they still have the original fuel pumps ????

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by old n' slow View Post
      .... I guess my real question is, on these high mileage Aveos do they still have the original fuel pumps ????
      Most forums get almost no follow-up, so you probably won't get much of any response from those who posted previously on this thread. About the only thing to hang your hat on is that you'll find very few reports of pumps actually failing (across the auto industry, not just Aveo). You can find people posting fuel pump questions, but again, no follow-up to confirm that their vehicle's pump actually was bad.

And there's one other thing to consider, and it relates to what you said about pumps being easy to replace years ago. The auto makers, almost without exception, now locate the pump in places that are not easy to get to. Some vehicles even require dropping the tank to get to the pump which is attached to the top of it. So it follows that the auto industry must have a lot of confidence in the durability and quality of these pumps, and also the current refining and storage technology of gasoline.

Not saying that fuel pumps never fail because, of course some do, just as with every other part. JMO that the failure rate is not even close to justify replacing one that's working fine.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      Most forums get almost no follow-up, so you probably won't get much of any response from those who posted previously on this thread. About the only thing to hang your hat on is that you'll find very few reports of pumps actually failing (across the auto industry, not just Aveo). You can find people posting fuel pump questions, but again, no follow-up to confirm that their vehicle's pump actually was bad.

And there's one other thing to consider, and it relates to what you said about pumps being easy to replace years ago. The auto makers, almost without exception, now locate the pump in places that are not easy to get to. Some vehicles even require dropping the tank to get to the pump which is attached to the top of it. So it follows that the auto industry must have a lot of confidence in the durability and quality of these pumps, and also the current refining and storage technology of gasoline.

Not saying that fuel pumps never fail because, of course some do, just as with every other part. JMO that the failure rate is not even close to justify replacing one that's , working fine.
      You make some very valid points, all very good but probably the best point you made was about the quality of replacement pumps....I worked in Advance Auto for a few years as a retirement job......there s a lot of garbage being sold in the aftermarket industry.

p.s. I am glad that if the pump on my Aveo fails at least there is an access hole under the rear seat : )

Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast