•  
    Page 28 of 43 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Highest Mileage Aveo (how many miles / km on yours now?)

Thanks
      Great story.

I'm militant about scheduled maintenance, but I don't do the body work. Honestly, I didn't think it would last long enough to matter. Now I'm starting to think the body is going to fall apart before the mechanicals.
      Sad to say this is a common story around here, too (rust belt). In the long run it pays to get an annual rust inhibitor spray if you're going to look after a car and keep it a long time.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I have a 2005 1.6 liter 5 speed man with 196000 . I bought it new and will say it was the best $10000 I spent .It has the original brakes, exhaust and only now replacing the clutch. other than general maintenance this car never let me sit . Even being from pa there is no body rust just a crinkled left fender from a deer hitting me.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      2006 Aveo5 1.6 auto. 191k original motor and trans. No major services. Regular maintenance, timing belt changed twice. Due again in about 10k. Paid 200 bucks for the car because they said it had grey smoke. Changed pcv valve and did a tune up, runs like a new one.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Two 04 Aveos purchased new in 04. 115K on the stick shift , 180K on the automatic. Except for routine maintenance ( belts, pulleys, water pumps, front pads,etc. ) replaced 1 alternator, 2 valve cover gaskets, 2 thermostat housings, 2 O2 sensors & 1 AC compressor stopped working........... Not bad for two cheap little cars : )

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      2005 Aveo SVM sedan. 215,000 miles currently. Didnt know what turds these engines were with timing issues/self-destruction until I bought it. Has had the 2nd timing belt replaced about 55,000 miles ago. Trying to decide whether to have another timing belt put in or just have a fresh engine put in so I know what I'm dealing with. Anyone have an idea what a dealer would charge for a timing belt replacement? How about a fresh engine with 0 miles (assuming they're still available for purchase). Just got the car a couple weeks ago, so kinda want to decide what work to save up for.

EDIT: it has developed a "miss" or stumble the last 200 miles or so, definitely have to troubleshoot that this week.
      Last edited by Orange_Crush; 11-02-2015 at 06:40 AM.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Orange_Crush View Post
      .... Trying to decide whether to have another timing belt put in or just have a fresh engine put in so I know what I'm dealing with. Anyone have an idea what a dealer would charge for a timing belt replacement?
      I'd recommend finding a good indy shop for all of your work. Stealerships charge a minimum of 20% over other shops, and very often more. A good indy shop can do just about everything Chevy can do, and typically will do a better job as well. Shop cost for an Aveo timing belt varies quite a bit by locality, with a low end around $350 all the way up to 1K. Call multiple shops to find out what the going rate is in your area. Of course the best choice is to DIY the job, if you are comfortable with doing so. You can buy a timing belt kit for around $100, and a couple jugs of coolant will be the only other thing you need.

How about a fresh engine with 0 miles (assuming they're still available for purchase).
      I don't think you would every be able to find one, and it would cost huge $$ if you could. A rebuilt is one choice, and an engine pulled directly from a boneyard wreck is the other possibility.

That said, I would never consider replacing an engine unless a compression test shows internal damage. And even then, it may be better to repair the existing engine if the damage is restricted to the head.

it has developed a "miss" or stumble the last 200 miles or so, definitely have to troubleshoot that this week.
      First thing to do is check the spark plugs and wires (oil pooling in the plug wells can rot the wires). If they're ok, then continue the diagnosis from there. Many things can cause misfire, so it's a matter of eliminating the possibles until the actual problem is found.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Orange_Crush View Post
      Didnt know what turds these engines were with timing issues/self-destruction until I bought it.
      But they only self-destruct if the maintenance isn't done.

You'd be much better off to change your belt again than to put in a different engine with an unknown history!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

AndrewButler05 (11-02-2015)

Thanks

Thanks
      The 2007 Chevy Aveo I purchased new has 259,476 miles on it. It still runs great!

CJS
      Thanks
      WOW! That's encouraging. I bought my 2007 Chevy Aveo LS 5 in 2009, and it only had 6,125 miles on it. The prior owner was a snowbird (I live in sunny Arizona ). For over 7 years after buying the car I telecommuted, but sadly that job is history.

My current round-trip commute almost 80 miles, so I'm making up for all the years I worked from home. Just had the car in for routine maintenance and they said everything looks really good, though by the manual I am overdue to get the timing belt replaced. I plan to get this done ASAP.

It has been a great little car and I'll do what I can to see that it lasts--in addition to enjoying the car, I enjoy not having a payment!

Page 28 of 43 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast