•  

Thread: Help with 2009 Chevy Aveo

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Help with 2009 Chevy Aveo

Hello everyone, new here...hoping to find some help.

A close friend of mine bought a 09 Aveo awhile back and has been having some trouble with it. She says it bogs down on her and attempts to stall. She took it to a dealer and told her they couldn't find anything but that maybe it was the fuel injectors so they just told her to put some fuel injector cleaner in and it would be fine.

She did that and it ran fine for about two weeks and everything started again. This is her only mode of transport and is scared to drive it. It only has 45k miles on it and she doesn't beat on it. So, I did some checking and found this: http://www.gmdesolutions.com/equipme...t_bulletin.PDF

My questions for you are 1)Does anyone know anything that can be done with this? and 2)Where do I look to find the engine code?

Thank You SOOO much in advance!

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      My 2011 Aveo was recalled due to a possible defect in the spark plug boots. Along with replacing the spark plug boots, they replaced the spark plugs as well. I would definitely suggest that you are having an ignition problem. The 2011 aveo wasn't the only car that got the recall or similar recalls. I know the dealer checked it out, but it could also be the fuel pump, spark plugs, fuel filter clog, fuel line clog, or ignition issues. I know that a qualified mechanic would know more, but I'm just speaking from experience. Sorry, I don't know how to find the engine code. I can't believe that the dealer just sent you off without fixing the problem. Dealers will rip you off, by the way.
      Last edited by christian; 09-13-2012 at 06:32 AM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Or it could be a really simple problem: bad gas. Maybe she is buying bad gas.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I have a 2009 Chevy Aveo LS, 4 door sedan with 5 speed manual transmission and 1.6 Ecotec egine. About one week ago I got the infamous flashing yellow engine symbol light and car began to run rough, idle rough, lose lots of power and gas mileage drop 10 mg a gallon immediately.

1) Went to Autozone after checking on this website and researching the internet for others that may have similar problem. Code reader at Autozone gave a P0303 cylinder misfire #3. Thus I bought 4 new spark plugs, Platinum NGK V power to replace the copper tipped NGK from factory. Hoping this might be solution or at least a cheap fix if lucky. After finally figuring out how to take off the black plastic cover to the engine ignition coil pack that had the four spark plugs under it, I changed out the old plugs and put in the new ones.

2) NO LUCK, car did run noticeably better but still flashing yellow engine light and slight rough idle within few miles of driving with new spark plugs. So call dealer and set up appointment to have them run their diagnostic machine check on the Aveo. This will cost you so expect to plunk down at least $75-$100 just for them to hook the machine up to your car but it is worth it.

3) Today I am $307 poorer! Yes, I have over 57250 miles on the car, all highway, so warranty of bumper to bumper was expired and no good. Apparently after doing more research, Aveos seem to all have a problem with their ignition coil or what the dealer calls coil or coil pack or coil bridge which sits on top of the four spark plugs with 4 black rubber boots that look like tits on a cow hanging down, literally. Inside those black rubber boots are the spark plug wires. Basically unlike other cars where you can just change out a bad spark plug wire for $25 or less and take out bad spark plug wire and put in good one, Chevy Aveo does not allow for that, YOU will have to buy the entire new coil pack or ignition coil pack, there is no way to fix just one or replace that bad spark plug wire, thus you have to buy the entire coil!

3) After doing much research and seeing other Aveo owners comment and checking ODB code reports, around 30,000 to 60,000 miles on Aveo there is a high probability that you may have a spark plug wire go bad inside this coil pack causing your check engine light to come on or stay on or flash or blink and it may give you the P0303 code. Thought others on here would like to know this so they do not drive themselves crazy trying to figure it out or spend lot of money on other areas trying to fix this problem that are not necessary.

4) I paid $144 for the labor and diagnostic machine reading plus $152 for new coil pack today. I got off easy I thought considering that I priced a new coil pack at Autozone and Oreillys last week and both were $762 - $815 each! I only found one other place online that had the new one for $426 for the coil pack alone. Granted it is not hard and is easy to install this coil pack, simply disconnect the connection plug on side of it, unscrew 2 Torx size 40 screws, lift up coil pack then put the new coil pack in it's place and done, then re-connect connection plug and put back in screws. Only should take 5-10 minutes at most. Key here is finding that coil pack though under $300, just was not able to do it so I took it to the dealer.

5) WARNING For those of you that think, oh what the hell, I can drive it anyway, so what if I lose a little power and light flashes or it idles rough I will get it worked on later when I get time. DO NOT DO THIS. You will ruin many more other parts or components that tie into your emission system, engine system and exhaust system which will screw up the catalytic converter, O2 sensor, and many other miscellaneous parts. The first two mentioned will run $150 for O2 sensor or more and the catalytic converter will run around $1000 or more to fix plus it could even harm engine valves and heads, not counting the labor also.

So it is not worth it. Go get it fixed immediately or stop driving your Aveo until you can have it fixed.

Had mechanic today tell me that he had worked on 3 other Aveos last year that the owners had ignored this warning light and kept on driving the car for many more thousands of miles until it would not hardly run or start at all, then try to have it fixed and ended up causing serious damage to the Aveo and having a several thousand dollar repair bill. Thus if you get one of these flashing engine yellow lights or the light stays on constantly or you go to Autozone and get a code reading of P0303, I strongly recommend you go to your dealer ASAP and or if you know where to find one of those new coil packs for less than $152 you can do it yourself.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i didnt read christians long explanation. However, I agree with the gas one. I live in pittsburgh, if she is using getgo or sheetz gas they both make my car run terrible. I also had a bad o2, but its a more severe problem when it is a problem. Which dealer did she go to?

The aveo "likes" higher RPMS like most european engine cars. so tell her to give it a little more pedal, it will also help it warm up, give the injectors etc more work and help out the system.

and now i scrolled up and read christians message. and he paid a lot of money for a repair that would be fixed under recall, and if not the recall most likely covers in the 100k mile drivetrain warranty.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Christian, Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know about that. I forwarded it to her and she it going to the dealer tomorrow because it's still under warranty. I just hope they figure it out. I am a tad concerned that they may try and take advantage of her because she is not a very forceful person and I can't be there with her. I don't want them to be putting it off until her warranty runs out.

petrified.rabbit, I ask her and she said that she uses Exxon and BP the most. You may be right on the way she drives it. This is her first car and I haven't been with her to experience it yet.

Hopefully, I will be able to update you guys later with good news. Thanks again!

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      That 2009 aveo problem was something I found on the internet. I own a 2011 aveo. Mine got fixed under warranty.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by jbowers62 View Post
      Christian, Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know about that. I forwarded it to her and she it going to the dealer tomorrow because it's still under warranty. I just hope they figure it out. I am a tad concerned that they may try and take advantage of her because she is not a very forceful person and I can't be there with her. I don't want them to be putting it off until her warranty runs out.

petrified.rabbit, I ask her and she said that she uses Exxon and BP the most. You may be right on the way she drives it. This is her first car and I haven't been with her to experience it yet.

Hopefully, I will be able to update you guys later with good news. Thanks again!
      Tell her to stop Using BP, and go for Exxon; Here's what it says on Page 6-6 of my Owner's Manual:

Use of the recommended fuel is an important part of
      the proper maintenance of this vehicle. To help keep
      the engine clean and maintain optimum vehicle
      performance, we recommend the use of gasoline
      advertised as TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.
      I've been using BP for the Past few tanks, and the LXV-Scootadrive has been getting Jerkier and more Sluggish. I normally Run Shell because of the Kroger Plus Fuel Discount. (10 Cents off for every $100 of Groceries you get!) and YES, I did have Recall 2011290 (the Spark Plugs and the Spark Plug Boots replaced) Performed Free of Charge by my Dealer.