•  

Thread: Getting real sick of this manual

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Getting real sick of this manual

My aveo is my only manual transmission car. And my god am I getting sick of this manual transmission. Traffic driving is getting old fast. There is a hill by my apartment that I dump smoke off the tires everytime unless I want to roll 40 feet backwards downhill. Driving in a parking lot requires too much multi tasking between not hitting people christmas shopping, finding a parking spot, texting, and shifting the damn ****ing gears.

That is all.

Thanks
      Here's a thought and not to be disrespectful, but don't text and drive while trying to shift gears, if you're just in a parking lot and trying to find a spot then it could definitely wait a minute or two until you are parked. Also, you should't text and drive anyways unless you're like stuck in traffic or at a stop light. Everyone thinks they can do it, as did I, until I just about hit someone while trying to text and drive. Also, I don't know if you downshift or not, but all you really need to do is get up to speed in the parking lot and then coast until you need to stop or speed up again, it makes it a lot easier.

When you stop on a hill and you are going to start going up the hill, try this:

1) Apply clutch pedal and foot brake and continue to hold
      2) Put into 1st gear
      3) Pull E-Brake
      4) Release foot from brake pedal
      5) Slowly engage clutch and give gas necessary to start moving
      6) When you feel the car start to pull forward against the applied e-brake or even if you can tell it is going to start moving forward (which you should be able to judge by now), slowly or quickly release the e-brake (depends on situation) until you are able to move on your own without the e-brakes assistance
      7) Go on your merry way!

I have this problem too sometimes and have to use this method so I dont fall back into the person behind me that doesn't realize that some people actually drive manuals that fall backwards on inclines when trying to get going haha

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      But with an auto you will not be as connected with your car!

When I supercharge my GT I will be glad for the auto when both hands are needed for the steering wheel

And stop texting and driving you noob

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by josefb134 View Post
      Here's a thought and not to be disrespectful, but don't text and drive while trying to shift gears, if you're just in a parking lot and trying to find a spot then it could definitely wait a minute or two until you are parked. Also, you should't text and drive anyways unless you're like stuck in traffic or at a stop light. Everyone thinks they can do it, as did I, until I just about hit someone while trying to text and drive. Also, I don't know if you downshift or not, but all you really need to do is get up to speed in the parking lot and then coast until you need to stop or speed up again, it makes it a lot easier.

When you stop on a hill and you are going to start going up the hill, try this:

1) Apply clutch pedal and foot brake and continue to hold
      2) Put into 1st gear
      3) Pull E-Brake
      4) Release foot from brake pedal
      5) Slowly engage clutch and give gas necessary to start moving
      6) When you feel the car start to pull forward against the applied e-brake or even if you can tell it is going to start moving forward (which you should be able to judge by now), slowly or quickly release the e-brake (depends on situation) until you are able to move on your own without the e-brakes assistance
      7) Go on your merry way!

I have this problem too sometimes and have to use this method so I dont fall back into the person behind me that doesn't realize that some people actually drive manuals that fall backwards on inclines when trying to get going haha
      i was sort of being dramatic with that post fyi.

Should I keep it? Merlins_Holden's Avatar
      Thanks
      Don't hate manuals! I only own manuals and I would never consider an automatic! Plus, the Aveo is a cheap car and manuals transmissions are cheaper to manufacture.

What do you mean there's no turbo? northguest47's Avatar
      Thanks
      can't heel and toe with an automatic but i know what you mean, camopaint.. the only transmission i would take over a 5 spd manual is a 6spd manual or CVT because its lighter
      Last edited by northguest47; 01-17-2015 at 08:46 PM.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by northguest47 View Post
      can't heel and toe with an automatic but i know what you mean, camopaint.. the only transmission i would take over a 5 spd manual is a 6spd manual or CVT because its lighter
      don't whatever you do, buy a Dodge Caliber; it has a JATCO CVT, which teamed with the 2.0L World Engine, made for a Gutless Wonder.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      engage clutch pedal and hold foot on brake as well and lift foot off clutch untill it "catches" and release brake a give gas. perfect everytime for me.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Funny, one of the joys of driving mine is reconnecting with a manual after a long hiatus