•  
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Funky Whistling noise in high winds!!

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I have an '08 Aveo5 that I took the bowtie emblem out of the grille and I started having a whistle/buzz noise after that.

Banned
      Thanks
      Simple fix. Put the bowtie back on!
      - 1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 - LQ1 3.4L DOHC 24 valve semi-hemi V6, 210 HP, 215 ft-lbs of torque, 4T60e 4 speed automatic with O/D.... 123,000+ miles. Slowly resto-modding it.
      - looking for a first gen Aveo for a daily driver :D

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      I have been getting this same problem. It sounds like it's coming from my windshield, but I can never feel a draft when I place my hand near it. I will look at the door seals in a few days (got a road trip coming up in about 6 hours) Hopefully that helps.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Z34guy View Post
      Simple fix. Put the bowtie back on!

I did, I was just suggesting a noise source.

What do you mean there's no turbo? paulsaveo's Avatar
      Thanks
      For anyone else that comes across this thread, my howling (wind noise) is the result of a bad window regulator. when I roll the driver window up, it leans forward slightly (unnoticeable with untinted windows). one day while driving I noticed that if I slightly rolled the window down, the noise went away, then when I was at a stop, I rolled the window down a few inches and grabbed the glass on the top at the back and was able to lean the window forward about half an inch. since my windows are tinted, it if so bad at times, I can look at the window and see the edge of the tint that should be hidden under the rubber window moulding.

I'll keep it and add a turbo brendan.melanson's Avatar
      Thanks
      I heard this before too, it's probably just wind blowing through a small crack in some plastic somewhere making that whistle sound like if you blow into the cover of a pen.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i get it all the time, its the tops of the doors..
      the rubber is edged to point instead of rounded, so its like doing that trick where you blow on a blade of grass.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I been reading over a few old posts trying to find out a little more info on this door seal howling noise. Can anyone bring me up to speed on a DIY for sure fix or a possible GM recall for it ?

I myself haven't drove the car in a very long time since my GF started using it as a work car, I knew the car had a little wind related noise issue from day one. I figured since I bought an Aveo and not a Corvette, this was just all part of owning a cheaply made car.

I just returned from a little 400 mile road trip with my GF so I did get hear about this noise issue every time it started. For me, if that noise isn't going to make the wheels fall off or the motor stop, I can deal with it! Since she uses the car as a daily driver, I would like to try and fix the issue or at least drop the noise decibels down a few. Thanks

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      There are two possible solutions, one is to get some 3/4" D shaped rubber seal material and run it in-between the two rubber pieces on the door frame along the front half of the glass and around the mirror. The second is to take the mirror off and reseal underneath it before putting it back on.. those are the two most common solutions that seam to solve the issue.

No recall or anything, but a $20 at most and some time repair.

Thanks
      Sorry I haven't been on here lately, but I've totaled my Aveo and had to get another ride. No injuries but the BlueAveo is no more. Everyone have great Holidays and I'll see you on the flipside...BYE!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast