•  
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Funky Whistling noise in high winds!!

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Funky Whistling noise in high winds!!

It's the car with the turbo that just passed your slow ass lol.

Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

I have this same problem with my Aveo. The whistling only happens when I drive over 75 mph and on windy days. When there is no wind, it is fine. Any ideas to fix the problem?

Thanks

I have had the same problem ever since I've bought mine. It has something to do with the seal around the window I'm sure as when it starts to happen I tap the button to put the window down. (Very slight tap, maybe like 1/4 inch) Window is still closed, just doesn't put the pressure on the seal and it goes away. Sometimes that makes it have a deeper noise, but most of the time it goes away. I hope to GOD someone can find a fix for it. I have like a 40 minute commute and it's annoying as F*CK when it's windy.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

I have had this happen on a previous car and it was caused by a very strong cross wind and it was prying the door open at the weather seal. I have not had that happen yet on the aveo but it also hasn't been on the road through major winds yet. I also don't know a fix unless the car is still under warranty you can try to take it back in and tell them that the window frame around the door is warped/bent or the weather seal is defective IMO.
      2009 Chevy Aveo LT1 Silver
      2008 Saturn Outlook XE Silver W/Preferred & tow package

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

I haven't had that on my car, but I did have that on my dad's 08 Aveo5 hatch... I drove it from Seattle to Portland and hit some pretty strong crosswinds and headwinds... it sounded like it was coming from the antenna. I wouldn't know though because I don't think I drove my aveo in winds like that yet, plus I have a shorty antenna on now (very flexible kind) so I don't think it would act the same under the same conditions...
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Thanks

Had the same problem on our '07 Aveo5; out of warranty, didn't want to pay GM arm and leg to look at it.

I dropped by my local O'Reilly (Auto Parts), and grabbed a $10 roll of universal weatherstrip (not the crummy gray foam stuff, but the black rubber tubing type). Applied to the inside of the door jamb at top, and the noise is all gone. Notice the factory stripping goes all the way round the door frame; my addition is just along the top:

Larger Photo Here

YMMV, but this worked like a charm for me. There are a couple of inches of space without weatherstripping from the factory, and it seems like wind whips over that cavity to create this noise. Could be something else, but this fixed our ungodly howling.

Good luck,

Chris

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

This is a common problem with this car when the wind blows my car it feels like I am going to be knocked off the road. My friend has a solution but will not tell me until he finishes it I will let you know how it goes.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Drop it and put in some sway bars... that should help.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Thanks

I had the same noise on my Suzuki Swift. In Ontario there's a company called Leakpro http://www.leakpro.com/franchise/overview.html They fixed my trouble within 20 minutes of hearing the noise. It ended up being the weather stripping on the passenger side door seal. They removed the weatherstripping and then used some sort of silicone to reattach it to the car. They then used some two sided weatherseal between the metal lip of the door and the rubber weather stripping. They also adjusted the door a little bit. I have not had it happen since. I tried going through the Suzuki dealership to get it fixed under warranty but they could not fix it.

Thanks
      I had exact same issue... I tried the door molding cure, but it didn't help me. I put custom splash guards on my car, and the noise that seemed to come from the window went away. It must have affected the aero-dynamics enough to eliminate the sound.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/showt...Howl-2008-cure

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast