•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engines.. Apples To Apples....

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I have an 06 model hatch i drive everyday at least 100 miles a day 5 days a week ,,i got a great deal on a 2010 so i bought it ,,the 2010 is more predictable ,,u almost know wen u fill it up wen u will need to again ,,,but it has way less power and isnt as econmical as the 2006 at all ...however it seems 09 and 10 models also hav a lot of difference in gears ,,in the 06 sometimes ill b wanting to grab anothr gear and cant(cause im alredy in 5th,,,lol the daewoo people must love pulling holeshots)but the 09-10 models or at least my 2010 has higher gear ratio and more highway suited gears ,,,im almost sure thats why earlier models have more pep ,,,i am building a tbucket or have been for years its hanging up in my garage ,,aveo engines are kinda cheap ,,,i can see a gen one engine in it ,,mmmmmmmmmm

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Yes the 2010 models do have a higher fifth gear or final drive. That is known. Yeah... 04 and 05 Aveo's engines would be perfect for small projects. The advantage is that it doesn't have drive by wire.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      drive by wire wires in just as easily as the rest of the harness. and it allows you to have one less thing coming through the firewall for a cleaner look.

i guess 09 is where its at, higher rated hp than the etecII and closer gearing. I am always in the power curve in 5th, and ready to shift into 6th.. that i don't have. Amazing how much gearing changes the engines feel, isnt it?

i would almost like a taller 5th, but i agree, i dont think the extra power is there to have it.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      I am always in the power curve in 5th, and ready to shift into 6th.. that i don't have. Amazing how much gearing changes the engines feel, isnt it?.
      I agree. I am cruzing along and I just naturally take it out of 5th for a gear I don't have. I think a 6 speed on the aveo would rock!
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Still love my daily driver Nemasys's Avatar
      Thanks
      Having a 6th gear would make no difference since gear 1 thru 5 would be significantly shorter ratio then they are now, making the 6th gear pretty much the same as the current 5th gear.

You will gain acceleration thru the gears but the drive ratio in 6th will still make the engive rev over 3k at highway speeds.

The only way to change that is by modifying the ratio of 5th gear so that its way longer then the others, then you could achieve a 2k or whatever you want rpm at highway speeds.
      > 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
      - Fully built, GT35R, 500+ whp

> 2004 Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged [RETIRED]
      - T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
      - HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
      - FMIC with 2.5" piping
      - Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      well i mean, it would be nice to have a 6th gear in addition to the current 5th. taller.

I know even the 6 speed in the cruze is about the same as the 5th in the 5 speed.

Thanks
      Wait, hold the phone. The 1.6 Ecotech is used in the Corsa VRX turbo? If so could that be why the rating isn't as good since it was designed as a higher output engine as was mentioned? Assuming I've wrapped my head around this correctly. On that same note though that means that this engine must have some pretty strong internals, and have some good potential in terms of upgrades.

2010 Pontiac G3: Rear Lip Spoiler | Aftermarket Power Door Locks | Vinyl Side Stripes | Accented Interior

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Nemasys View Post
      Having a 6th gear would make no difference since gear 1 thru 5 would be significantly shorter ratio then they are now, making the 6th gear pretty much the same as the current 5th gear..
      I like driving at 80 MPH at highway speeds. The car settles very nicely there (actual speed maybe 76-7. It's turning 3000 RPM at that speed. I would leave all the existing gears and put in taller 6th gear. So dropping down 5th will "peak" the power for passing.

When I drive around 70 I can achieve better than 34 MPG, over that speed the wind puts my millage at 31-32 MPG. I am hoping that once I do my suspension change and drop the car and inch or two I can achieve at MPG gain. The frontal surface area has not changed but it should reduce the ground interference.

So given the power would having a 6th gear really improve the millage. Yes the engine is turning slower but does it generate enough power to overcome wind resistance?
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      both mine are hatches i like my 2010 the best its a looker for an aveo ,,one day i was at napa and a gal droppd over her harley looking at it driving by ,,,im geting ready for some funny gas nothing extreme just a 70 shot wet kit ,,im gonna plumb my purge out that chintzy lookmn fender vent

Thanks
      guys if we did hav 6 gear oh my gas mileage would be super especially in first gen cars ,,imagine 50 mpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast