•  

Thread: Electrical Issues With A 2009 Chevy Aveo 5 LT:

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Electrical Issues With A 2009 Chevy Aveo 5 LT:

The other day, I had to do a battery replacement on my Aveo... However, I was not paying 100% attention when i put the battery in, and reversed the cables by accident.. Since, I had to replace 5 fuses; including the 100 amp fuse on the battery itself. I have some other unexplained issues that have also cropped up since the incident:

- Center console lights and dash backlighting are dark. (They do not turn on as it gets dark.)
      - Rear passenger side running light has burnt out.
      - Gas gauge seems to be working, but is now sitting in a different spot when completely full.
      - Shift lock does not disengage when I press in the brake pedal to shift into drive. (I have an auto.) I have to remove the small plastic cover near the shifter and use a screwdriver to manually release the shift lock.

Overall, I am concerned that I might have done a great deal of electrical damage to my car, and am wondering how deep this rabbit hole is going to go. (When I mean rabbit hole, I mean the money evaporating out of my wallet.)

Any help on the subject will be greatly appreciated!

Phil

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Double and triple check all of the fuses again, some thing piggyback of one another. When did the shifter start giving you problems? It most likely is the brake light switch that needs to be changed.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      No idea exactly how DC would reverse-flow through a system. The biggest concern is that the insulation on one or more wires is melted. If this happened to one of mine, I would replace all of the fuses and relays, including those in the interior fuse box. That won't be a huge amount of $$, and it's an easy thing to do. Then after replacing bulbs where (if) needed, you can cross your fingers and toes and hope none of the new fuses blow, or the battery drains due to a parasitic draw.

Thanks
      Thanks for the quick replies! I will again run through all the fuses to be absolutely sure I have not missed one. Also, wires with bad or burned insulation... I will take a good look at it to make sure I don't find any. Lastly, the shifter became unable to unlock after I crossed the battery cables. However.. before that the battery was WELL beyond its life cycle... It had a low charge, so I took it to AutoZone to have it charged and a stress test. Not only did it fail the stress test; apparently it started weeping acid.

Thanks
      Ok, so I did check all the fuses again and I still cannot find bad ones. however, i did find this after a bit of digging on the internet; and the forums: My question, is this relevant to my issue? It seems to be square on.. But I am unsure how to find the fix. I replaced all the fuses mentioned in this bulletin below and I still have problems.

Component Description:
      3. ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
      Bulletin Number: PIC-5092
      Bulletin Date: Feb 2009
      Vehicle: 2,009 Chevrolet Aveo

Summary:
      GENERAL MOTORS: PONTIAC/CHEVROLET HAVE INOPERATIVE IPC, WON'T SHIFT OUT OF PARK; BACKLIGHT/DIMMING INOP, SEVERAL FUSES COULD BE OPEN, INCLUDING 100A FUSE ON POSITIVE BATTERY CABLE, EMS 10A FUSE IN UBEC, IPC 15A FUSE IN UBEC, AUDIO/RKE 10A F ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10030171 )

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      your issue is not related to any service bulletin, your issue is you hooked up the battery backwards.

Based on what you did and what blew, I would say that sounds minimal, you could have fried the computer, radio and everything else.

I can't say you need to just fix this, or fix that, you need to physically find trouble spots in the wires and check the grounds.

I would say though visually looking at a fuse does not tell you its bad 100% of the time, and running electricity backwards, means if the fuse blew, the power went through the system (because backwards means fuse is the ground) which mean most of your signal wires fried. which is why the gas is reading different.

I would replace fuses, check the relays, check bulbs, and then see what still isn't working. you could have burned a ground or two.

Thanks
      I'm having the exact same problem with my car now. 2009 aveo LT. if you've found the solution please notify asap!!!!

Thanks

Battery drawdown on 2009 Aveo 5 Hatchback

Help please!! My 2009 "baby" is mad at me. She has had a slow battery draw for several months now. Using a Fluke clamp on meter, it shows an intermittent draw of .1 to .3 amp draw which lasts for about 1-2 seconds, every 15-20 seconds. This is with a new fully charged battery. If I leave her parked in the garage for 2-3 weeks, the battery is usually flat dead. I have done trouble searching by going through and pulling each fuse, both in the engine compartment and the dash panel fuses and not finding the culprit circuit. The obvious culprits such as the clock, the radio and the tire pressure system have been left disabled but still have the draw. I'm at my wits end . Any suggestions please?

Thanks,
      Rich in Marion, OH.

What do you mean there's no turbo? gclark8's Avatar
      Thanks
      Rich, 100-300mA is a lot of current with the car locked!
      My suggestion is a faulty alarm or immobiliser system with it being intermittent.
      Check door, boot, glove box switches while monitoring the current drain.
      Well done with a Fluke clamp-on!! Next a hand held infra-red camera.

A bit off topic, but the guy in the video is worth a look: https://www.bigjimny.com/index.php/f...adually#226090
      Last edited by gclark8; 08-06-2020 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Video
      no image

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gclark8 For This Useful Post:

Rich (08-06-2020)

Thanks
      [QUOTE=kpmbrink123;186330]Ok, so I did check all the fuses again and I still cannot find bad ones. however, i did find this after a bit of digging on the internet; and the forums: My question, is this relevant to my issue? It seems to be square on.. But I am unsure how to find the fix. I replaced all the fuses mentioned in this bulletin below and I still have problems.

Component Description:
      3. ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
      Bulletin Number: PIC-5092
      Bulletin Date: Feb 2009
      Vehicle: 2,009 Chevrolet Aveo

Summary:
      DID YOU FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM..I HAVE SV 09 LT MODEL AND DASH LIGHTS ARE OUT.. RADIO WON'T COME ON.. DIMMER SWITCH NOT WORKING can't tell until lights are working AND IT'S STUCK IN PARK UNLESS I PRESS THAT LITTLE BUTTON.. EMAIL ME IF YOU HAVE ANSWER STEVENMONTGOMERY8808@GMAIL.COM