•  
    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Do people make fun of you for driving an aveo?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
      No but then most folks don't say much in the way of such foolishness to a greybeard old biker with crazy eyes .. I just purchased a 2006 Harley Ultraglide after 14 years on a Honda Shadow Sabre.. no one ever said get a Harley to me then either.
      you don't say? lol. I am also an older greybeard biker, and rode what wanted to, even rode a sport bike a few years, while having Harley chopper. I remember hauling bike parts in a Chevrolet Sprint 20 years ago, got a newer Streetbob, but have a few old chopper projects.

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      I just found this post. I know it is a very late reply. BUT...the only people to say anything 'bad' about my 2006 Aveo HB is my family!
      I USE to get a NEW car/truck every 2-4 years. All my life. And because of doing that. I went bankrupt 10.3 years ago! Just coming out of it now. "Young dumb and full of...crap"! When I went bankrupt the Aveo was financed, so I could keep it. As you all know, I only drive it like 3K miles a year. So..it now has 43K miles on it. Thats it. Still looks new, no rust, no dents, 2 door dings, and a few light scrapes on the bumper from idiots! But I HAD to keep it, couldn't get finance for a long time. By that time I was so use to the car, and NO car payments, the insurance has FINALLY dropped to under $100 a month,...on a car that is trade in value of $200!
      So...all the pluses, and cant buy a used car now, thy are ALL stuffed with automatic everything and SO many more computers, controlling all the new toys. The Aveo is MUCH simpler, all manual things, windows/door locks, a real key, no FOB! Just an automatic tranny, and A/C. So my nephew....26yo....always says to me it is an 'ugly car, get something new'.

So I tell him, and HIS 1998 Toyota Tacoma, that is SOOO old and rusted and ugly, but it has Lexus wheels!! AND he just got it, with like 200K miles on it! I say, 'go buy me something, pay for it for me, and insurance, and I'll take it'. 'You just bought that POS, and I have a car 8 years newer, looks showroom new, has 20% of the miles as your NEW truck, and I know its repair history. And you call it ugly?....to bad. I'm still broke, can't even fix the one problem it currently has in it,...so,..I should go buy another used car with 200K miles, stinking of cigarettes, rusted out, don't know its history??? No thanks!'

He acts like his Toyota is like a 2018, because of the Lexus wheels! Whoopie!!! My steel wheels are just as round, and have 4 new tires on them So others say nothing ,but my nephew...26yo.... is always making some kind of left handed 'complaint' about it. I would RATHER have had my 2002 Ford ranger Edge when I went broke, but when gas went to $4 a gallon, I had to get the Aveo. It gets the exact same MPG, as the Ranger did, 19MPG in the city!! Had I known that, I would have kept the Ranger with a 3.0L V-6, and manual tranny. But....it's long gone But strangers, never say a bad word about it, once in a while some people ask the age, and they cant believe it is THAT old! 'It looks NEW'. So..I get that compliment,once a year or so

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by xintersecty View Post
      Of course everybody makes fun of the Aveo! I even do when I am driving my Aveo and see one on the road. My response is always the same "Damn, that's a small car and I drive that?" However sitting in my Aveo I feel like a zillion bucks as I zip around everybody.
      Got to agree, the car feels much bigger and quite Zippy while sitting in it, but always looks so small and helpless when I see another, especially a stock one. 
      Most comments to me about mine, aren't really putting down the Aveo. They're because most people that know me, know me through my lifted Jeeps and large family SUT. Then they see my Large frame climb out of this tiny car. But they also understand the cost of fuel and maintenance on those Jeeps and larger SUTs. So I don't get negative comments, just more surprise. 
      I actually bought the car as a starter car for my wife, but she's become kind of attached to it, so I expect I'll be keeping it longer than planned. Time to start researching LSJ swaps.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by old_biker View Post
      you don't say? lol. I am also an older greybeard biker, and rode what wanted to, even rode a sport bike a few years, ....
      Same here, but I'm more of Bald Red Beard Viking looking old guy.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      My wife n I owned (5) cars. The Element was sold last fall, the 2008 Ram n 2003 MR2 are on the "for sale" list for 2019....and the AVEO...it stays on board, always garaged, well maintained. It does urban runabout duties.. saves wear n tear on the Sonic and her Cayenne 6 spd m.t.. It's a no- brainer that it is worth more to keep in service than to sell!!
      Last edited by kcROB; 01-20-2019 at 07:39 PM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Now that I've been driving it awhile I've gotten some comments like "more money in tires than car"

All I have is $106 of stock fitted Federal SS595 on the front, rears are Douglas tires that were on it when I bought it.

Got a lot of comment about the Aveo being crap in general mostly relating to the heavily plastic interior I believe and the FWD + small size all of which are why I bought it.

Definitely a heavy matter of opinion but I think it's great I like to think of it as a GM version of a 93 Civic hatch combined with a Peugeot 207 and some updated Geo Metro rear fenders. I like the car so much I'm selling my 90 Cressida (owned for 9 years)
      and buying a S10 to modify for my RWD summer car (preferring US located aftermarket). The Aveo will be for economy, family and winter driving.

The FWD platform is great it's like you're only paying for half of a trip everywhere you go, imo. Aveo compliments it even further especially if you can buy all their stuff locally.

Also got a set of Federal WS2 Himalaya's %98 tread for $200 on steelies, it's done great 2 winters in a row, can't drive over thick frozen snow with the lowering springs but it handles fresh snow, Ice, packed snow and plowed areas at 55mph just fine as long as you're staying in tune with driving, maybe 45 on decently curved corner if it looks icy. I prefer GY Ultra grips for winter but these were more economically available.
      Last edited by Nickelbawker; 03-16-2019 at 08:45 PM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      It does't bother me. Besides, I have other cars-- a '16 F150 and '09 JK.

What do you mean there's no turbo? gclark8's Avatar
      Thanks
      In my town, Perth, a white Aveo/Barina was a traditional seniors car, normally seen transporting 4 ladies in white hats, dresses and shoes off to play bowls! So, one was basically ignored, a neutral response.

Enter the Jimny, life changes, from some who openly hate 4x4s of any size, to others who stop and wave you out of the space in the car park, with a big smile. At 70, its a chic magnet!!!
      Last edited by gclark8; 03-20-2019 at 07:37 AM.
      no image

Thanks
      yes but i shrug it off most of the time ... a couple coworkers kept at it, so i took them for a ride. within five minutes both wanted to drive it ('07 LS). one now has a trax (for his wife) and a sonic premiere for himself (both are aveos around the world, just not north america) both with ... both have the 1.4l turbo, nice vehicles and inexpensive

Thanks
      Oh, yeah. I've heard a bit of them. My dad had an older LS model and referred to it as a toy car, all plastic and cheap. My friends refer to it as a lemon, not just because of the cheap and sometimes unreliable design of the car, but also because it's actually bright yellow.
      I call it a jellybean myself because it really IS a cute car! It's a bright little thing that doesn't make a lot of noise like all of the jacked up d*** extensions I see all over western Oklahoma. It's just a cheap, adorable little car.
      I used to own a '97 Geo Metro and BOY did it get a lot of guff LOL. This was a step up from there.

Let the haters say what they want. My car is cheaper and better for the environment than your tank.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast