•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do the newer Aveos still have the problem with their timing belt or any other problem

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Do the newer Aveos still have the problem with their timing belt or any other problem

I'm considering buying an aveo. I'm looking for an inexpensive car that will last me some time. I'm looking at 2011ish aveos and I would like to know if they have any major problems. Can I expect a 2011 Aveo to last me to 150k miles with decent maintenance? If the new aveos do not have the timing belt problem, what year was it corrected? I'm looking at 2011ish aveos but if I could save some money and pick up a 2004 or 2009 aveo (specific ones I'm seeing on autotrader) with 75k miles or 55k miles respectively that seems very tempting.

Last edited by shouldIbuyAnAveo; 08-15-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      I'm only personally familiar with '05 and '06. But '04 is the same, so I'll offer up my opinion to stay away from that one. The '04 was the one with the majority of the early/premature timing belt-related failures (going beyond just the belt). And all of these early years came from the factory with a POS plastic thermostat housing. These parts are pure evil, getting hairline cracks which can create very slow leaks which evaporate on the engine block. I had this happen to my '05 and the only reason I caught it in time is that I check coolant every week or 2. There have been more than a few threads and stories about early Aveos overheating and blowing head gaskets because of this. And as a bonus, you would also likely be replacing the entire exhaust system on an '04 in the near future (they switched to stainless in '09).
      On a personal level, I'm very pleased with my '05, and also my daughters '06. But I do all my own work and stay on top of the maintenance. So without having first-hand knowledge of the history (family or friend), an '04 Aveo would be WAY down low on my list.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      my 09 has been great. it is the first year of the new engine. i agree with avguy's summation. any of them can be fine, regardless of the year if you are aware of the "quirks" like changing the timing belt on time, and replacing the thermostat housing..

04 also have a hub in drum one piece rear break that is expensive to do brakes on..

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      my 09 has been great. it is the first year of the new engine. i agree with avguy's summation. any of them can be fine, regardless of the year if you are aware of the "quirks" like changing the timing belt on time, and replacing the thermostat housing..

04 also have a hub in drum one piece rear break that is expensive to do brakes on..
      Many design changes and improvements came with the newer generation of Aveos starting in the model year 2009. One of them is that the timing belt is supposed to last 100K miles.

From everything I've read, I wouldn't want to own an Aveo that's earlier than '09. So far, in owning an '09 I've had virtually no problems with it.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      From everything I've read, I wouldn't want to own an Aveo that's earlier than '09. So far, in owning an '09 I've had virtually no problems with it.
      i feel like i can agree with that too, but i have a daewoo which is almost the same car, and found it very easy to work on and has been reliable.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      So now the belt lasts to 100k miles instead of 60 but does it still cause catastrophic damage when it goes? thanks for your help- everyone.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by shouldIbuyAnAveo View Post
      So now the belt lasts to 100k miles instead of 60 but does it still cause catastrophic damage when it goes? thanks for your help- everyone.
      Apparently so. But 100k is a long span. By that time, labor wise, you should also have all the other components located in the same area replaced: water pump, tensioner, engine oil seal, etc. It's an expensive but essential repair on any car if you expect to keep it longer than that.

Still love my daily driver classic67's Avatar
      Thanks
      Its 100k for the second gen engine. First gen is still 60k.

What do you mean there's no turbo? northguest47's Avatar
      Thanks
      what about the constriction at the maf sensor of the newer aveos, more difficult to unthrottle the intake with the maf sensor, the older iat setup seems better for that reason, no? about the only thing could think of.. unless there is a workaround for this?

Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by northguest47 View Post
      what about the constriction at the maf sensor of the newer aveos, more difficult to unthrottle the intake with the maf sensor, the older iat setup seems better for that reason, no? about the only thing could think of.. unless there is a workaround for this?
      Unthrottle the intake? Lolwut

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast