•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car Train Horn Installation

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by carcrazed484 View Post
      Hello, everyone! I have this idea of installing a train horn on my car and I am seeking for some tips or suggestions from anyone here who has an idea on doing this or who have already tried this. Thanks.
      my friend experience that already. He installed a train horn on his car. i find it cool 'cause of the sound. it may sounds funny and weird, but it is compatible with car. If i may ask, did you attempt to installed it on your car?

best regards,

Darren
      =====================================
      Name:  horntones-mp3-car-horn-1.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  27.1 KB
      "always use genuine novelty horn on car"

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by xintersecty View Post
      carcrazed....man, my wallet is usually a determining factor. What is your goal? I looked up the frequency 400, 500 hz... (G4 + 35 cents and B4 + 21 cents) or (400, 600 - g4+35 cents, D5+37 cents). Not quite a chord but at least more interesting that a single note. With it being slightly off on both notes, it will not be too bad.

I am interested in this unit as my own aveo horn sounds like sad end to a life meanwhile I have to deal with the SUV with load music still pacing semi while blocking the left hand lane on I-85. A louder more aggressive horn might encouraging them to move.

My own boat horn died so this might be a replacement for that too. Considering that is a legal requirement and could get me a ticket. At least on this site you can listen to the horns. I listen to them all and I consider the chrome hawk electric horn and the big bang train air horn to be the best sounding.
      What you really want is an add-on set of air horns. The Hawk unit is a bit misleading in that it does have a compressor that drives the horns as soon as it is activated. (That's the cylindrical unit seen in the photo between the horns.) Most air horns made for cars work that way. You can buy a set of this type at virtually any auto parts store. The larger the horns are, the lower the pitch will be. If you want it to sound high pitched, piercing and shrill, go for the smaller ones. The much more expensive sets have a pressure storage tank to drive multiple sets of horns. IMHO, that's overkill, or more than what you need.

Usually the compressor is separate from the two horns, so that you can mount it as needed under the hood. In some cases space can be tight. The kit comes with a relay and wiring diagrams to wire it into your existing horn circuit.

I currently have air horns on two of my cars, but not on the Aveo. Unlike Japanese cars, the horn on the Aveo is adequate, IMHO. My wife drives it 95% of the time and she's not one to care, so I just left it as is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12