•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To buy or not to buy?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

To buy or not to buy?

Currently looking at a 2005 aveo with 62,000 miles on it at a used car dealership, in the glovebox were some maintenance records showing that the timing belt, valves and head gasket have all been replaced about 1000 miles ago (I'm assuming due to the timing belt breaking as that seems to be a common issue). I'm planning to have it inspected today, but I keep reading more and more about engine issues with these cars and it's a little off putting. Should I even bother?

Thanks
      Size it up like any car, condition, past accidents?, appearance, and weigh the price/value ratio and make your own choice. Aveo's are not unique from any other 16valve dual over head cam 4 banger. Many other makes share the same components, so it's a wash IMO. Pick a car you like and pull the trigger.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      According to to scheduled maintenance, the owner manual states that the timing belt should be changed at 60,000 miles. I wouldn't fret about it.
      2004 Aveo beater car
      2005 Aveo LT. 5-speed beater car (DOA)

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Yeah, if it was changed then it is a good thing. It does seem like it broke though if the valves needed to be changed, if the repairs were done right then it should be good to go for another 59k~ miles. 60k miles needs to be followed, kind of ironic that this aveo snapped right after that

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      That sounds like the best maintained used Aveo I've ever seen. But I'd see if you can get a REAL car for your money though

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thud Slamrod View Post
      That sounds like the best maintained used Aveo I've ever seen. But I'd see if you can get a REAL car for your money though
      The Aveo is a "real" car, but do be aware that the generation of Aveos produced before 2009 have many more intrinsic problems (read: design flaws) than the later ones. My 2009 has had very few problems. If I were you I'd look for a later model Aveo, even tho it may cost a bit more.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      your best bet is to get a Vehicle History Report, and to see if this aveo has been in any accidents, if the Title has been Branded (Fire, Flood, Stolen, Lemon/Buyback, Salvage, etc) and to see if there has been any fudging of the Odometer reading.

EDIT: I almost forgot, visit your Local GM dealer with this aveo's VIN, and have them pull up the GMVIS Report, as well as the Build Info to see what information GM has in their database; like if there are any open Recalls on it, and any GM Dealer Service Records they might have. (Ignore any Warranty information, as any warranties that may apply are probably long since expired.)
      Last edited by 2010AveoLT; 11-18-2014 at 09:36 PM.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Overall the aveo is as reliable as any other car. It is the lack of gm's service support and training that makes the car "risky." Otherwise, it's perfectly fine, mine has been very reliable. Most of the nightmares you hear about the car are maintenance issues. The only thing you should consider changing that is aver specific would be the thermostat housing, switch to a metal version and done.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I think it's a good thing that the timing belt, etc. have been replaced. Since it has more than 60,000 miles on it, those should be replaced already. Although that's not necessarily the only thing you need to consider before buying it. Check for the car's general condition.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Go for it. 1) Cheap to own 2) Cheap to fix 3) Cheap to buy....did I mention cheap? I lot people here have had maintenance issues. I have had mine but overall it's still a lot better than a lot of cars. I have gone 140K miles before replacing brakes. I might be due for a clutch but it still seems to work. The shocks are overdue on mine, but I am lowering and replacing with coil over shocks.

You did not mention what price for that car.

Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast