•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aveo shudders and shakes

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Aveo shudders and shakes

I recently purchased a 2004 Aveo LS Sedan with 50000 miles. I understand I have to have the timing belt replaced $240 dollars parts and labor and might as well replace the water pump since we're in there another $250 dollars parts and labor, ok. my other problem is the car shudders and shakes in the steering wheel at about 55 to 65 mph, I've read that replacing the lower control arms will fix this problem, has any one else had this problem and made this fix? Are the new control arms made better than the old ones? I'm also thinking of getting some bigger tires and wheels maybe 16's hope this will also help the stability. Please help.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Re: Aveo shudders and shakes

First things first. Before going all out and replacing tie rod ends and such, check the simple stuff. Are your tires in good shape. check them for knots. Check the balance.
      I had a truck once that did that. Come to find out, it had a slow tire leak, and the idiot who owned it before me fixed it (after about 6 cans of fix-a-flat). What was happening is that the fix-a-flat was sloshing around in my tire. When I got the tire replaced, the tire-shop liked not to have fixed it because of the fix-a-flat.
      Moreover, before you try replacing parts, have them checked, tie rod ends, control arms, ball joints, steering control, etc are all easily checked at your local tire shop. Better to spend $50 to have it checked, then to spend $200 getting something replaced and finding out that it wasn't your problem in the first place.
      Work smarter, not harder, and you just might save yourself some cash.
      Hope this helps.
      4 wheels, 4 doors, 4 cylinders, 8 speakers, and 1 loose nut on the steering wheel driving the car!
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3078012

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by genefitz
      First things first. Before going all out and replacing tie rod ends and such, check the simple stuff. Are your tires in good shape. check them for knots. Check the balance.
      I had a truck once that did that. Come to find out, it had a slow tire leak, and the idiot who owned it before me fixed it (after about 6 cans of fix-a-flat). What was happening is that the fix-a-flat was sloshing around in my tire. When I got the tire replaced, the tire-shop liked not to have fixed it because of the fix-a-flat.
      Moreover, before you try replacing parts, have them checked, tie rod ends, control arms, ball joints, steering control, etc are all easily checked at your local tire shop. Better to spend $50 to have it checked, then to spend $200 getting something replaced and finding out that it wasn't your problem in the first place.
      Work smarter, not harder, and you just might save yourself some cash.
      Hope this helps.
      +1

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

My 04 shook at 55+ on stock 14" wheels, since then I upgraded to 15 x 6.5 and it slowed the shaking, and now im running 17 x 7 and the shaking is almost non-existent. A wider tire definitely does the trick.

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

I went from my stock 185/65/14's to to a 195/65/14 because I didnt like how the little skinny tires grabbed everything in the road. Much better now.
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by o4aveohb
      My 04 shook at 55+ on stock 14" wheels, since then I upgraded to 15 x 6.5 and it slowed the shaking, and now im running 17 x 7 and the shaking is almost non-existent. A wider tire definitely does the trick.
      what size tires do you have?

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Right now they are 205/40/17 but I have also had 215/40/17 but wouldn't recommend it because I believe it rubbed slightly.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

didnt somebody have this problem and the dealer stuck some rubber piece near the steering column to reduce vibration. i would check your alignment

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AVE0SAM
      didnt somebody have this problem and the dealer stuck some rubber piece near the steering column to reduce vibration. i would check your alignment
      I'm having the wheels balanced and well see if that helps, I believe that alignment is more of a pulling from side to side thing. I am curious about this rubber piece, I've bought my 04 Aveo used so don't have a dealer warranty,so if you have any more info on that i would appreciate it. thanks Aveosam =D>

Thanks

The rubber piece is probably a steering control bushing. I am not sure about the Aveo, but I know many cars that don't have power steering have issues with the bushing (wear and tear). What a control bushing is, to make a long story short is a rubber bushing (ring) that goes where your steering column feeds into the R&P. It makes the connection last longer, makes the turn smoother, and takes play from the steering wheel.
      Again, I can't guarantee that is the same thing spoken about above, but it might be. Either way, I would say take it to a tire shop and have it checked.

4 wheels, 4 doors, 4 cylinders, 8 speakers, and 1 loose nut on the steering wheel driving the car!
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3078012

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast