•  

Thread: Aveo modding/tunning

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Aveo modding/tunning

Hi everyone. Recently I've been thinking of changing my Aveo for something else, maybe a little more efficient and more agile.

However, I like my Aveo a lot, and I'd like to know if there is any guide/tutorial to get more out of my Aveo, whatever that might be (ECU reprogramming, better air filter, etc )

I have found a guide about tuning the Ecotec engine (https://www.torquecars.com/gm/ecotec-tuning.php), but there is nothing really specific about it or anything.

I'm open to any suggestions, and I'm not against spending some money.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
      Hi everyone. Recently I've been thinking of changing my Aveo for something else, maybe a little more efficient and more agile. ...... really specific about it or anything.

I'm open to any suggestions, and I'm not against spending some money.

Thanks in advance!
      Welcome!

I'm new here as well, but here is what I know so far about the Aveo 1.6l

First understand what engine you have, in earlier models the engine is the:
      E-Tec II 1.6l non vvt 100~BHP

LATER models have the ecotec series engine 1.4-1.8l with vvt 100+BHP

The first modifications you will want to do are in the engine bay and won't cost too much.
      Easiest and cheapest upgrade is a CAI cold air intake, you can find these under $100 on eBay. Search for : Aveo 1.6l cold air intake

Second is your spark plugs, copper is oe recommended on earlier engines, but I have better fuel economy and performance with NGK IRIDIUM spark plugs and NGK spark plug wires. I also upgraded my coil pack to NGK part. You can save money and use NGK V POWER COOPER spark plugs.

Next use a high flowing oil filter with high quality 5w30 synthetic or synthetic blend oil and ANTI WEAR additive package of your choice (CRT RESTORE, LIQUID MOLLY, SLICK 50, ETC)

Upgrade your brake pads to semi metallic or ceramic, you can also upgrade to drilled rotors of you drive hard.

Clean the intake valves with throttle valve spray and clean the air intake temp sensor with map cleaner spray. Replace vacuum hose going from map to throttle body.

Add an oil catch system to prevent the blowoff oil from fouling up the throttle body.

Install good suspension, KYB or Gabriel are good front and back.

Chop shifter or install a short throw kit that fits.

They sell stabilizer bars on eBay, I haven't tried them yet.

Hope this helps 😄👍

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by GR1087 View Post
      Welcome!

I'm new here as well, but here is what I know so far about the Aveo 1.6l

First understand what engine you have, in earlier models the engine is the:
      E-Tec II 1.6l non vvt 100~BHP

LATER models have the ecotec series engine 1.4-1.8l with vvt 100+BHP

The first modifications you will want to do are in the engine bay and won't cost too much.
      Easiest and cheapest upgrade is a CAI cold air intake, you can find these under $100 on eBay. Search for : Aveo 1.6l cold air intake

Second is your spark plugs, copper is oe recommended on earlier engines, but I have better fuel economy and performance with NGK IRIDIUM spark plugs and NGK spark plug wires. I also upgraded my coil pack to NGK part. You can save money and use NGK V POWER COOPER spark plugs.

Next use a high flowing oil filter with high quality 5w30 synthetic or synthetic blend oil and ANTI WEAR additive package of your choice (CRT RESTORE, LIQUID MOLLY, SLICK 50, ETC)

Upgrade your brake pads to semi metallic or ceramic, you can also upgrade to drilled rotors of you drive hard.

Clean the intake valves with throttle valve spray and clean the air intake temp sensor with map cleaner spray. Replace vacuum hose going from map to throttle body.

Add an oil catch system to prevent the blowoff oil from fouling up the throttle body.

Install good suspension, KYB or Gabriel are good front and back.

Chop shifter or install a short throw kit that fits.

They sell stabilizer bars on eBay, I haven't tried them yet.

Hope this helps 😄👍
      Hello friend. Sorry for the late response. Those are all great tips I didn't think of.

How much do you think I could get out of those mods?

I have the 1.6l 100HP version.

How much better would the mileage be and how would it improve responsiveness?

Thanks
      My car with these mods get about 22-25 mpg, but throttle response and low end torque you can feel a difference. Vehicle also runs better with 91 octane fuel.

I don't know for sure how much horsepower is added, but it feels like these mods help the engine perform much better.

The next mod I would suggest is converting a 1.6l Honda exhaust manifold to fit. I'm trying to find a cheap shop who will cut the Aveo flange pattern, chop the Honda tubes and reweld the exhaust manifold flange onto the Honda part. Might cost about $350 at my Local shop.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by GR1087 View Post
      My car with these mods get about 22-25 mpg, but throttle response and low end torque you can feel a difference. Vehicle also runs better with 91 octane fuel.

I don't know for sure how much horsepower is added, but it feels like these mods help the engine perform much better.

The next mod I would suggest is converting a 1.6l Honda exhaust manifold to fit. I'm trying to find a cheap shop who will cut the Aveo flange pattern, chop the Honda tubes and reweld the exhaust manifold flange onto the Honda part. Might cost about $350 at my Local shop.
      Have you tested acceleration times and maximum speed?

This is all very interesting. I'll definitely look into this too.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quite frankly doesn't the stock air filter bring in fresh air front front of the car I being a powersports mechanic and rebuilding more motors with a K & N air filter will never use one I think it would be more performance wise to make a ram air type intake old days called it a scoop as it raises the in coming air preassure the faster the more but does not add anything till you are moving but then tuning it would be the problem and keeping out rain water from geting into motor the best air filters are oiled paper for filtering if you live where there are a lot of trees and rains a lot there is less dirt in the air but being in the desert there's a ton