•  
    Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Add a DIC instrument cluster to a 2010 Aveo5 LS

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      I think I'm just gonna price out a G3 Cluster at work tomorrow cuz it looks cooler. And then try and find one online if the price is too steep...I believe all G3s came with a DIC...Heck from all my research the G3 came with almost every option

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Would that fit without modification into my 2008 Aveo 5 LT (5-door hatchback), too? Does the G3 cluster - WITH the DIC - include the controls for changing the display, as well? How 'bout "flashing"/relearning" to the Aveo - same codes?
      Please let me know what you find?
      Thanks!

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ResqDogz View Post
      I have an 08 Aveo5 LT - do you think mine would also have this "hidden" gem? If so, which information displays - mpg (current/live)? temps (in/out), etc?

Seems to me I saw a Chinese-version replacement for the instrument cluster in a forum/thread somewhere, but cannot find it again: My odometer is "pixelating" on occasion, and from what I hear there's no individual component replacement available: Dealer advises $200 ~ $500, depending on the number string from the back of mu factory cluster... and suggestions?

Thanks!
      It looks like the 08 Aveo5 has the old style cluster, so you probably do not have the hidden DIC. Looks like the new cluster started in 07 for the sedan and 09 for the hatch. I don't know if the DIC was even an option in the older cluster.

Thanks
      Wylee, you're correct - it's the older style cluster, with the "flattened exclamation point" nestled (bearing the turn signal indicators) between the two gauges - no flat expanse where the DIC would be hidden, as in the sedan from that year, or the hatchback from 2009 and later... sigh...

Can't even determine if I have bulbs or led cluster illumination, without removing it: That information doesn't seem to be available online anywhere...

The Chilton's free on-line DIY library shows great illustrations, but not from the back!

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      The G3 cluster will bolt right up. As far as programming it, I'm a mechanic for GM so that's not a problem. the old style cluster has bulbs, the new style cluster has LEDs making it somewhat difficult to change the color...however blackcatcustoms.com has kits for both styles to change the color. just that the new style requires unsoldering the old cluster and soldering new LEDs

Thanks
      So, the 2008 G3 cluster WOULD work in my 2089 Aveo 5 LT? Great that you can program it, but I'm in Minnesota and at the mercy of a terrible (local) dealership - probably better off to drive to Superior, WI - about 35 miles away...

What do you think the dealer will charge to reprogram/replace the cluster?

Thanks for the tip on black cat customs!

Thanks
      I went out this morning and took my cluster apart on my 2010. I cut the window to reveal the full lcd screen.

The full display worked perfect with the miles to empty above the odometer. I then thought that if I took apart another cluster and stole the circuit board button and spring loaded stud from the odometer. Then I could put them on the other (DIC) side of my cluster and be able to cycle through the other features. So I then headed to the local pick and pull yard. They had 3 2007 Aveo’s with the clusters in them. Nothing newer. The only wanted $25 so I pulled one out. The first thing I noticed was the rear plugs were way different than my cluster. But I took the gamble that the parts I needed would be the same and headed home with it.

I took the new cluster apart. The LCD screen must be unsoldered from the board to get to button (My warning! You better be pretty good at soldering before you attempt this). I then took the cluster from my car apart and soldered the button from junkyard cluster onto mine. Reassembled my cluster. Took the faceplate and laid it on the cluster upside down and seen the hole for the odometer lined up with DIC hole. So I put the two faceplates face to face and marked where to drill the hole for the new lever. Measured for the hole in the glass and drilled it. First attempt glass cracked when drill bit went through. Luckily the cluster I bought has the same glass. I drilled very slowly this time and just kind of let the drill melt through the plastic and all came out well.

I then reinstalled the cluster (held my breath as I turned the key on hoping I didn’t screw anything up). Everything was good and works just the way it is suppose to. Now I just need to get a temperature sensor.

I’m pretty happy to have upgraded to DIC for $25. My thanks goes out to wylee for his research and sharing of information.
      Attached Images Attached Images     
      Last edited by NB99Z; 09-03-2011 at 05:25 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NB99Z For This Useful Post:

MeekMark (06-20-2017)

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      Glad to hear it worked out for you and thanks for sharing your project.

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      Screw it! I'm going to try out the soldering station I got for Christmas last year. Maybe I'll even move the cruise indicator LED from my replacement cluster. [-o<

Thanks
      I moved an LED from my donor cluster and solder it into the cruise spot also. It still doesn't light up. I don't know if I just didn't make a good solder joint, if I got the LED to hot, or if there is something else keeping it from coming on. But I do know that I'm not going to take the cluster back apart just for the cruise light. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast