•  
    Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Add a DIC instrument cluster to a 2010 Aveo5 LS

Wants moh powah
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      F***! Sh**! Son-of-a-*****! That didn't go very well. FYI...don't disconnect the IPC unless you've got an automatic transmission or ready access to a Tech2. I've now got the wonderful DTC P080a which can only be cleared with a Tech2. I've got a tech2, but my Aveo is a GM-LAN car and requires the CANdi module which hasn't got here yet.

Hopefully my CANdi module will be here soon. In the meantime, I'll put a few miles on my V-Strom.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      ouch. what exactly went wrong? a more technical explanation?

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      Cliff notes: Plugging in the replacement cluster caused the ECM to lose the CPPS memory so the starter won't spin.

The used DIC IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster) arrived today so decided to plug it in and see how many miles were on it and verify everything worked as expected. I removed the old IPC, plugged in the replacement, turned the ignition on, and everything looked good. When I turned the key to start the car, the odometer and clock went out as they should, but the engine wouldn't turn over. I unplugged the replacement IPC, plugged the original IPC back in and got the same thing.

The check engine light was on, so I checked the codes with my Innova scanner and got a generic DTC for crank position system variance not learned (or something like that; DTC P1336 I think) and the GM specific DTC P080A.

The car will run if I start it by jumping the starter relay but I will need to relearn the Clutch Pedal Position sensor before the car can be started with the key and I will need to relearn the Crank Position Sensor before I can clear that code to turn off the MIL. Both will require the Tech 2.

What happened to the days of just using a paper clip to bypass the clutch safety crap? Long gone I guess.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      you sure it is not some sort of immobilizer issue? no one has really figured out how it works on the aveo (those that have it) just yet, but on many models, the ecu, key lock/ignition switch and gauge cluster all need to "match"

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      The immobilizer would kill the fuel and ignition but it would still turn over. The P080a DTC confirms that it is the clutch position sensor.
      Last edited by wylee; 08-20-2011 at 06:22 PM.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Any updates?

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      Updates? Weather has been lousy; I've decide to drive my Corolla instead of riding the V-strom.

Still waiting on the Candi module.

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      To elaborate a bit...

The dealer closest to me estimated $30 to do the clutch and crank relearn "if it takes" the first time. The cynic that I am, I took that as leaving the door open to soaking me for $100 bucks or more. I know I can do both very quickly once I have the CANdi module so I'm waiting. I'll post an update when I have more information for anyone else that is considering this.

As of now, it appears that a DIC IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster), an ambient air temp sensor, and the ECM relearn after the replacement IPC is installed is what is required for this upgrade. The mileage is recorded in the IPC, so that would need to be corrected if you can't find one that is close enough to work.

In my case I found a used IPC with mileage slightly higher than I already have; I just need to drive with the original cluster until I have the same miles as the replacement IPC before I permanently install the replacement.

The only thing I see as beneficial with the DIC is the outside temperature. The AVEO DIC does not give much information. No tire pressures, no oil life, and no live MPG estimate. The Aveo DIC only offers miles to empty, average MPG since last reset, and outside temperature. Had I realized how little the DIC offered, I'm not sure I would've bothered with this upgrade...when all is said and done, I will probably have the most expensive outside temperature display ever put in a sub 20k car.

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      Looks like my CAN interface should be here Wednesday. Should be drivin' the roller skate again pretty soon.

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      My Aveo already had the DIC; it was just covered up.

Found this on the web last night, opened up my IPC, and whudd-a-ya-know? There's my full display. I'm still going to use the replacement I got from the boneyard because I don't want to have to unsolder the LCD display to put the select button in, but this sure is interesting.

Forum of the support of projects hardlock.org.ua Survey of theme - activation regular BK

Looks like the Yahoo Swedish translator is not working...try this but brush up on your Russian first. Note the NON GMLAN label. I think most (if not all) of our 08+ cars have the WHB (GM LAN) option.

http://www.aveoclub.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=9084

Last edited by wylee; 08-31-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast