•  

Thread: 2009 AVeo5 new oil filter doesn't fit - SOLVED

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2009 AVeo5 new oil filter doesn't fit - SOLVED

Changing the oil on my 09 Aveo5 and the new oil filter (STP S10246XL) doesn't fit. My current filter seems to be held in place by a threaded plastic shaft which screws into the bottom of the filter housing. The bottom of the current filter has a plastic base but the top is just paper, no plastic. However, the new filter has a plastic base on top and bottom and 4 plastic tabs which prevent the threaded shaft from attaching to the housing. I've checked other stores/websites and all brands of filters seem to be the same. Am I missing something simple? How do I make the new filter fit or am I just using the wrong filter entirely?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Link to Autozone website showing picture of the new filter:
      STP Extended Life Oil Filter S10246XL - Read Reviews on STP Extended Life #S10246XL

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by nubbin00 View Post
      Changing the oil on my 09 Aveo5 and the new oil filter (STP S10246XL) doesn't fit. My current filter seems to be held in place by a threaded plastic shaft which screws into the bottom of the filter housing. The bottom of the current filter has a plastic base but the top is just paper, no plastic. However, the new filter has a plastic base on top and bottom and 4 plastic tabs which prevent the threaded shaft from attaching to the housing. I've checked other stores/websites and all brands of filters seem to be the same. Am I missing something simple? How do I make the new filter fit or am I just using the wrong filter entirely?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Link to Autozone website showing picture of the new filter:
      STP Extended Life Oil Filter S10246XL - Read Reviews on STP Extended Life #S10246XL
      The oil filter is supposed to clip into the plastic oil filter cover you took off; my suggestion is to just pull on your old filter until it comes off the anti drain back shaft. If you can, could you take pictures of the old filter as it sits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 2010AveoLT View Post
      The oil filter is supposed to clip into the plastic oil filter cover you took off; my suggestion is to just pull on your old filter until it comes off the anti drain back shaft. If you can, could you take pictures of the old filter as it sits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      You are correct! Upon further inspection, the top of the filter was still clipped into the oil filter cover. So I popped it out with a screwdriver and clipped the new filter to the cap. Just that easy! Thanks for your help.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nubbin00 For This Useful Post:

2010AveoLT (08-03-2017)