•  

Thread: 2008 Aveo Hatchback buy or not to buy

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

2008 Aveo Hatchback buy or not to buy

Hello all, this is my first thread on this forum and I hope it's in the right place. Been looking for an Aveo and I found one and would like your opinon.

It's a 2008 with 96,000 miles and a hatchback, it has auto trans, air, steering and brakes.
      The car starts up cold with a ticking noise that goes away within 20 seconds, the brakes are low and will need tires. Timing belt was replaced @ 60,000 miles, new air condenser, plugs and wires.

The trans shifts fine but the fluid has a dark pink and black tint to it. The car shakes a little at idle while in gear then goes away after take off. The body and insides are in excellent condition. The seller is asking 4200, is it worth it?......thanks

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by aveo58 View Post
      Hello all, this is my first thread on this forum and I hope it's in the right place. Been looking for an Aveo and I found one and would like your opinon.

It's a 2008 with 96,000 miles and a hatchback, it has auto trans, air, steering and brakes.
      The car starts up cold with a ticking noise that goes away within 20 seconds, the brakes are low and will need tires. Timing belt was replaced @ 60,000 miles, new air condenser, plugs and wires.

The trans shifts fine but the fluid has a dark pink and black tint to it. The car shakes a little at idle while in gear then goes away after take off. The body and insides are in excellent condition. The seller is asking 4200, is it worth it?......thanks
      I wouldn't buy it. It's got a lot of mileage on it. The ticking noise is probably lifters - possibly a sign that the oil might not have been changed as often as it should. The shaking at idle is also not normal. However the biggest concern is the condition of the tranny fluid. Pink is not good, and black is even worse. I'll bet the fluid was never changed. Considering that a transmission rebuild is a very expensive proposition as repairs go, the car could end up being a 'money pit'. I'd say run, don't walk away from it.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      all these things, and being a fist gen body hatch, make me say maybe a year older with less miles..

none of those things scare me for the right deal, but that car (eliminating the year) sounds like $3500-4000 AVEO regardless, being a 2008 makes it slightly better. but not worth more. Thymeclock hit the nail on the head of what those issues could be, but it really depends on your comfort level etc. I for one would offer less, the price of the tranny fluid change and a brake job AT LEAST. Then i would pull the valve cover to see if it is damaged, (clean it a bit) and then run better oil and more frequent changes for a while.

but its all what you are comfortable with. will to work on, have fixed, etc. As those issues sound more like high mile car issues than aveo specific.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Pink trans fluid is normal...slightly darker is ok, as long as it doesn't smell burnt

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      The ticking noise might be a valve that doesn't close completely and needs to heat up a bit to become more flexible... Are you in for the possibility of a head rebuild? This car is overpriced, no matter the year, I would buy a 2004 with low miles for half the price instead!