•  

Thread: 2007 Aveo Ignition Key - Transponder?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

2007 Aveo Ignition Key - Transponder?

We just purchased an 07 Aveo and only got on key. The car has remote entry built into the key, but I'm wondering if it is a transponder key. I'm trying to get another key made and am having problems finding one.

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

keys

Hey, I'v had the same issue. Mabey this will be helpful to you. All ignition keys for the aveo are transponder keys. That is to say that if the key will crank and drive the car, it is a transponder key. "Valet" keys will only unlock the doors and if you attempt to crank the car with a "valet" key it will crank and run for about 5-10 seconds and will then turn off because the Valet key lacks a transponder. The transponder is a tiny (about 1mm) chip in the head of the key (not visable) that authinticates the key to the car. I have an aveo with keyless entry. I have 3 keys. 1 key with all the entry buttons ( lock, unlock, trunk release) and a transponder. The 2nd key is a simple transponder key. (no buttons) and both work to crank and drive the car. furthermore I keep a "valet" key at home that will only unlock the doors ( no transponder, no buttons). The dealer or locksmith can cut you a transponder key for realativly cheap. I think I paid about 35-40 for my simple transponder key. Just have it cut to match your original then "teach" the car the new transponder. (google search aveo tansponder duplicate) there is a step by step process to "teach" the car the new transponder. You use the orginal key and turn it to "on" but not "start" leave it for about 3-5 seconds. do that three times. then do it with the new key and finally start it once with the old key and once with new key >>may not be exact but pretty close. Check me on the order of the steps.

Thanks
      By the way, when I replaced my key with the keyless entry control buttons on it I couldnt find anything under $120-140. just FYI. i tried uploading the pics but it keeps failing so if someone can help me with that I'll get em uploaded.

Wants moh powah
      Thanks
      The key probably does not have a transponder in it, but good luck finding someone who has the blank in stock. My 2010 had the keyless entry remote built into the head of the key and a factory alarm, but the key did not have a transponder in in it.

Take the key to Walmart and they can scan it to see if it has a transponder in it....that's as far as you'll get though; Walmart does not stock the Aveo blank. If you don't care about the remote, you can probably buy regular blanks on Ebay....just don't arm the alarm.
      Sorry GM, the Turbo Sonic was priced too close to the Focus ST. I gots me a Ford.

Thanks
      I went to our local Ace and he scanned the key and it did not find a transponder. He tried cutting a key but it wouldn't unlock the doors. He ordered a Daewoo blank so we'll see how that works and whether it starts the car.

Thanks
      When I bought mine, I had the dealership order a second key without any buttons. It works fine to open to the door and drive, just no buttons. Not sure if it is transponder or not.