•  
    Results 1 to 6 of 6

    Thread: Ď09 coolant reservoir

    1. #1
      What's wrong with my car?
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      Hemet, CA
      Posts
      12
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Ď09 coolant reservoir

      So I replaced the coolant reservoir because of a hairline crack on the underside and Iím concerned now that a year later this new on is having the same issue. These plastic reservoirs are these the crappiest things or is my system getting too hot? Threw my code reader on and watched live data and the coolant isnít getting above 200-225 degrees F. Any suggestions on replacements or am I pretty much screwed with this being an ongoing issue?



    2. #2
      Should I keep it?
      Join Date
      Apr 2017
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      40
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
      So I replaced the coolant reservoir because of a hairline crack on the underside and I’m concerned now that a year later this new on is having the same issue. These plastic reservoirs are these the crappiest things or is my system getting too hot? Threw my code reader on and watched live data and the coolant isn’t getting above 200-225 degrees F. Any suggestions on replacements or am I pretty much screwed with this being an ongoing issue?
      2009-2011 Aveos have the engine oil cooler. When the seals inside the engine oil cooler start leaking (after about 4-6 years), engine oil mixes into the coolant. The engine oil contaminated coolant weakens the rubber in the rad and heater hoses, the water pump seal, and also softens the plastic in the coolant recovery tank. The quality of the coolant recovery tanks isn't the problem. The problem is the oil contamination in the coolant. I also was baffled why the coolant recovery tank in my 2009 Aveo kept cracking until i noticed an oily scum in the coolant recovery tank. Only after i replaced the engine oil cooler was I able to keep the coolant clear and free of engine oil.

      That's my 2 cents.

      Deano.

    3. #3
      What's wrong with my car?
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      Hemet, CA
      Posts
      12
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
      Oh man so how complicated is it to replace this engine oil cooler. I drive big rigs and had one of these go and we ran dawn soap and water through the entire cooling system, what do you think about that?

    4. #4
      Should I keep it?
      Join Date
      Apr 2017
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      40
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
      Oh man so how complicated is it to replace this engine oil cooler. I drive big rigs and had one of these go and we ran dawn soap and water through the entire cooling system, what do you think about that?

      Replacing the engine oil cooler on a 2009-2011 Aveo is not too complicated. I went slow, and it took 5 hours. An experienced person or mechanic could probably do it in 2-3 hours. (There are some old postings about this on this website) The hardest thing about replacing that engine oil cooler is you must remove the exhaust manifold "maniverter" to get access. So be sure you can remove and replace the 3 nuts on the studs that connect the maniverter to the first section of exhaust pipe before you start the job. You don't need to flush the cooling system with soapy water after you replace the engine oil cooler. Just do a regular coolant flush with clean water and coolant. I also recommend that you purchase the 3 replacement pipes (with seals) that connect the engine oil cooler to the cooling system. New pipes are not very expensive, but they are cheap insurance, and will make the job go faster.

      Deano.

    5. #5
      What's wrong with my car?
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      Hemet, CA
      Posts
      12
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
      Replacing the engine oil cooler on a 2009-2011 Aveo is not too complicated. I went slow, and it took 5 hours. An experienced person or mechanic could probably do it in 2-3 hours. (There are some old postings about this on this website) The hardest thing about replacing that engine oil cooler is you must remove the exhaust manifold "maniverter" to get access. So be sure you can remove and replace the 3 nuts on the studs that connect the maniverter to the first section of exhaust pipe before you start the job. You don't need to flush the cooling system with soapy water after you replace the engine oil cooler. Just do a regular coolant flush with clean water and coolant. I also recommend that you purchase the 3 replacement pipes (with seals) that connect the engine oil cooler to the cooling system. New pipes are not very expensive, but they are cheap insurance, and will make the job go faster.

      Deano.
      Thx for the info, canít get to it now hope it holds for a couple weeks.

    6. #6
      Should I keep it?
      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      82
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      1
      Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
      Youtube Replacing the oil cooler.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Z8VrDfy18

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NHZEnlr7FI





      Last edited by OG-Lou; 12-21-2019 at 03:13 AM.

    Similar Threads

    1. Cleaning coolant reservoir tank
      By FlaAveo5 in forum Engine & Drivetrain
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 11-14-2017, 12:57 AM
    2. Coolant Reservoir Leak
      By kulaps in forum Troubleshooting and Maintenance
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 09-25-2016, 04:51 PM
    3. coolant gushing out the reservoir when engine turns off
      By wenn_u in forum Troubleshooting and Maintenance
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 07-06-2015, 01:24 PM
    4. coolant reservoir
      By aquaef152 in forum Engine & Drivetrain
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 10-18-2014, 01:00 PM
    5. DIY by pass coolant return hose to reservoir
      By JoshII in forum Engine & Drivetrain
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 08-12-2014, 04:19 PM

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •