•  
    Results 1 to 7 of 7

    Thread: 2009 Aveo oil drain plug

    1. #1
      What's wrong with my car?
      Join Date
      Aug 2018
      Location
      garner, n.c.
      Posts
      5
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      2009 Aveo oil drain plug

      I hope someone can help me out. The oil plug(T45 torx bit) broke off and the core of it is still in the oil pan. Any ideas? I was thinking drilling and trying an easy out, but wanted to ask first. Thanks



    2. #2
      Administrator Daox's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Location
      Wisconsin
      Posts
      2,483
      Thanks
      164
      Thanked 81 Times in 70 Posts
      Sorry, but I'm confused. Your torx bit broke, or the plug broke? What is broken?

    3. #3
      What's wrong with my car?
      Join Date
      Aug 2018
      Location
      garner, n.c.
      Posts
      5
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
      Sorry, but I'm confused. Your torx bit broke, or the plug broke? What is broken?
      The plug itself broke.

      https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...pkODM3bU1GVFdn

      https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...N0czU4aXNzdDB3

      https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...hsTGNERHUwWnd3





      I hope you can see these pics.
      Last edited by fenderaveo52; 11-09-2018 at 06:35 PM.

    4. #4
      Administrator Daox's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Location
      Wisconsin
      Posts
      2,483
      Thanks
      164
      Thanked 81 Times in 70 Posts
      Yikes, that sucks.

      I might try one of those bolt extractor tools like this:

      IRWIN Tools Hanson Spiral Extractor and Drill Bit Set, 10 Piece, 11119

      That, or if you can jam anything in there like a screw driver and get a pliers on it to turn it... Sounds like its really in there.

    5. #5
      What's wrong with my car?
      Join Date
      Aug 2018
      Location
      garner, n.c.
      Posts
      5
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
      Yikes, that sucks.

      I might try one of those bolt extractor tools like this:

      IRWIN Tools Hanson Spiral Extractor and Drill Bit Set, 10 Piece, 11119

      That, or if you can jam anything in there like a screw driver and get a pliers on it to turn it... Sounds like its really in there.
      Thanks for the reply, and good news, I was able to use an easy-out to get the broken plug out. Now I know that every time I change oil I'm going to put a new o-ring on the plug. I think that's what the problem was. The o-ring was so compressed that it would not seal without being over tightened. A lesson learned!!!! Thanks again.

    6. #6
      Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Long Island, NY
      Posts
      804
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      4
      Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by fenderaveo52 View Post
      Thanks for the reply, and good news, I was able to use an easy-out to get the broken plug out. Now I know that every time I change oil I'm going to put a new o-ring on the plug. I think that's what the problem was. The o-ring was so compressed that it would not seal without being over tightened. A lesson learned!!!! Thanks again.
      Glad you were able to fix it. It probably was due to it being over-tightened by someone. BTW, in olden days, o-rings weren't used on oil drain plugs. A fiber gasket or a nylon gasket would suffice to seal it and not be easily broken. Better that the drain plug might leak a little than to have happen what you just experienced.

      This thread that I previously posted might pertain, so be aware.

      https://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f108...18/#post177852

    7. #7
      What's wrong with my car?
      Join Date
      Aug 2018
      Location
      garner, n.c.
      Posts
      5
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      Glad you were able to fix it. It probably was due to it being over-tightened by someone. BTW, in olden days, o-rings weren't used on oil drain plugs. A fiber gasket or a nylon gasket would suffice to seal it and not be easily broken. Better that the drain plug might leak a little than to have happen what you just experienced.

      This thread that I previously posted might pertain, so be aware.

      https://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f108...18/#post177852
      Oh yeah, I'm an old dude(just turned 66), and remember the fiber and plastic washers on the oil drain plugs. Never had one leak either, and this is the first one that's ever broken on me!!!!





    Similar Threads

    1. Coolant drain plug
      By Daox in forum Engine & Drivetrain
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: 11-21-2017, 03:13 PM
    2. Replies: 0
      Last Post: 01-14-2017, 01:10 AM
    3. Oil Drain plug? Really?
      By djeepmyers in forum Troubleshooting and Maintenance
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: 12-21-2016, 01:25 PM
    4. Replies: 3
      Last Post: 05-21-2015, 02:50 AM
    5. Stripped Drain Plug on Automatic Transmission Pan
      By Thymeclock in forum Troubleshooting and Maintenance
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 03-27-2015, 01:31 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •