•  

Thread: Tool for Water Pump Pulley; Aveo LT 2011 / Opinion for for timing belt kit brand

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Red face Tool for Water Pump Pulley; Aveo LT 2011 / Opinion for for timing belt kit brand

Hello All,

Where to get the tool required to remove the water pump pulley so I can access and replace the water pump?
      (Kent Moore EN-49201 Water Pump Pulley Remover Installer)
      I have looked on ebay and they are so expensive; I found one cost $45 + $12.67 shipping and that was the cheapest, and then it goes up to $122.99. I saw a video and the guy used it says he bought for like eight bucks!!!

My water pump is not leaking but I am looking for replacing timing belt so might as well replace the water pump even though it runs separately but I thought it is a good opportunity to get all replaced.

Also, I am looking for some opinions for the parts, I looked over ebay and GM parts and found the following

First option is GM parts
      Timing belt part no 24422964 $86.93 (similar to the one installed in my car)
      Belt tensioner part no. 25185910 $82.86
      Belt Idler part no. 24436052 $38.57
      Water pump part no. 25195119 $92.30
      Total =$300.66 + $35 + taxes

Second option, Autozone kit
      https://www.autozone.com/ignition-tu...13_329038_7453
      $241.99 + taxes
      brand is Dayco

Third option which is the cheaper off ebay, Gates kit
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/292894202718?ul_noapp=true
      $166.59
      Includes timing belt, water pump, belt tensioner, belt idler.

Other options on ebay are cheaper but since timing belt is critical component, I would rather buy a reputable timing belt components. I had an incident before that a shop replaced my timing belt in a KIA spectra and after 9k miles, it broke. At the time, I was afraid to tackle the job myself but I am looking for to do it myself this time. It was too bad that I moved after and the car engine was totally ruined.

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks
      Are you sure you need a tool to get behind the pulley? I would imagine you can use an open ended wrench and get in there. No need to yank the pulley off while its on the car. Once it is out, you can put it in a vise to remove the bolts and swap the pulley over to the new pump. I haven't heard of anyone needing a special tool to swap out an Aveo water pump.

Thanks
      Hello Daox,

Yes, I think that a small Torx 45T tool needed to remove the pulley over the water pump.

Please see the picture below, the red marks are pointing toward the pulley.

Also here is the link for the video, the gentleman talks about the pulley removal starting at 3:26
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSoV...index=5&t=277sName:  IMG_0111.jpg
Views: 2163
Size:  311.1 KB

Thanks

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks

Tool for Water Pump Pulley; Aveo LT 2011 / Opinion for for timing belt kit brand

Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
      Are you sure you need a tool to get behind the pulley? I would imagine you can use an open ended wrench and get in there. No need to yank the pulley off while its on the car. Once it is out, you can put it in a vise to remove the bolts and swap the pulley over to the new pump. I haven't heard of anyone needing a special tool to swap out an Aveo water pump.
      Some of the bolts to remove the water pump are blocked by the pulley; you have to remember that the OP’s car is a 2011; which means he has the LXV engine (such a special snowflake of an engine) the EN-49201 was much cheaper when I bought mine on eBay when I did my water pump.

EDIT: sometimes a visual representation works the best:

This is the first reason why the EN-49201 is essential to water pump replacement on an LXV; every single bolt is blocked by the pulley. Also the EN-49201 has a handy external Torx driver on the other end that is the absolute perfect size for the pump bolts.

The second reason why the EN-49201 is needed for water pump replacement; that red circle points out how much room there is between the pulley bolts and the frame rail; it’s barely even 2”. Conventional sockets and torx bits are just too long for the amount of space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by 2010AveoLT; 09-08-2019 at 02:21 AM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      a small set of torx sockets and inverted set was all I needed....I went with Gates timing set.. belt, tensioner, pump, idler, and couple bolts... you will also need timing gear lock tool , cam locks and crank lock.... you do not want them moving at all.... Amazon has everything... gear tool engine specific.... nobody had this once to rent...I think only$20...

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      TCKWP338...$147, TIMING COMPONENT KIT w/ water pump...BETOOLL HW8014 $25 timing belt installation tool...1.6l LXV... mine' 09...I think all LXV engines same...I don't know fersur

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      raise engine up couple inches will give you access to WP bolts for removal

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by viciousvīc View Post
      TCKWP338...$147, TIMING COMPONENT KIT w/ water pump...BETOOLL HW8014 $25 timing belt installation tool...1.6l LXV... mine' 09...I think all LXV engines same...I don't know fersur
      if i remember correctly, the TCKWP338 was the kit I used; and i got the BGS 8697 timing tool kit; which has both the timing pulley locks and the rear cam locks.

Thanks
      Question?Did you check that broken belt?Was it old and crackedDried out?Does the word litigation mean anything to you?Next time ask to see the old parts.3rd option is good.If you are a do it yourselfer you need the camshaft locking kit and tools.If you have not done this do not attempt.Just insist to have all old parts returned otherwise go to someone who will.Peace out.

Thanks

Good replacement timing belt KIT.

Continental makes a good timing belt kit with water pump and seals. Clarion quality and the water pump has a metal impeller.Name:  20210506_161351.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  296.6 KB