•  

Thread: strange random whirling noise at 65-70mph speedometer? wheel bearing?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

strange random whirling noise at 65-70mph speedometer? wheel bearing?

I have noticed my new to me 2007 aveo5 makes a random whirling grinding noise at 60-70mph I noticed yesterday in AZ when it was hot it made the noise at 60-65 but mainly it happens at 65-70.

Originally, I thought it was right front tire or maybe the wheel bearing but it's not constant it's random, then I thought it might be the road surface. However, its happened on variety of roads.

Has anyone had a noise like this and could it be the speedometer cable? I had an old truck that did that and I lubed it but taking the dash off doesn't sound appealing to me. Anyone able to offer some help is much appreciated... btw I have 90k miles now bought at 86k.

I made an audio recording but I don't think I can add it.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by dfphoto View Post
      I have noticed my new to me 2007 aveo5 makes a random whirling grinding noise at 60-70mph I noticed yesterday in AZ when it was hot it made the noise at 60-65 but mainly it happens at 65-70.

Originally, I thought it was right front tire or maybe the wheel bearing but it's not constant it's random, then I thought it might be the road surface. However, its happened on variety of roads.

Has anyone had a noise like this and could it be the speedometer cable? I had an old truck that did that and I lubed it but taking the dash off doesn't sound appealing to me. Anyone able to offer some help is much appreciated... btw I have 90k miles now bought at 86k.

I made an audio recording but I don't think I can add it.
      Looks like this post was a moth or so ago. So maybe you figured it out by now... but if not.

Have you done any steps to isolate it down?
      If it’s a wheel bearing you may be able to put the front end on stands and listen to the wheels as they rotate.
      Or see if they have any play if you shake them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to goodtimes12 For This Useful Post:

dfphoto (12-22-2020)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Hey there, I checked the front wheel bearings it's not that, I ended up replacing the serpentine belt and tensioner to see what that would do, and it took care of most of the issue although as I said it was intermittent. I couldn't figure a way to make it happen although after the replacement, I turned the AC on and it started doing it then I turned the AC off and it stopped, then I tried it again when the car was going about 65 and pushed the clutch in and put it in neutral and it stopped again. That's why I tried the belt first. Now that I did that, I can't make it happen regularly but I heard it the other day but not as loud. Yesterday I had a big water leak and I was looking at how hard a timing belt water pump replacement is and I noticed there are two tensioners inside and I am thinking it could be them since the belt tensioner had moderate wear. Or it could be the AC compressor it didn't feel smooth spinning it but I don't have anything to compare it to.

Thanks
      Hey there, I checked the front wheel bearings it's not that, I ended up replacing the serpentine belt and tensioner to see what that would do, and it took care of most of the issue although as I said it was intermittent. I couldn't figure a way to make it happen although after the replacement, I turned the AC on and it started doing it then I turned the AC off and it stopped, then I tried it again when the car was going about 65 and pushed the clutch in and put it in neutral and it stopped again. That's why I tried the belt first. Now that I did that, I can't make it happen regularly but I heard it the other day but not as loud. Yesterday I had a big water leak and I was looking at how hard a timing belt water pump replacement is and I noticed there are two tensioners inside and I am thinking it could be them since the belt tensioner had moderate wear. Or it could be the AC compressor it didn't feel smooth spinning it but I don't have anything to compare it to.

That’s good!

Do you know if the previous owner(s) ever did the timing belt? If you’re not sure, you can check under top timing belt cover and check for wear. Wouldn’t be a bad idea since it has 90k miles on it.
      The replacement isn’t hard, but does take some time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to goodtimes12 For This Useful Post:

dfphoto (12-23-2020)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Hi thanks for the reply, the previous owner didn't do much, this car was from the North East and the salt and the snow is a problem there. A lot of rust under the car, the spark plugs were soaking in oil I replace them the coil the intake hose regular stuff then I went and cleaned out the injectors with spray and a couple bottles of injector cleaning that did a lot for throttle response.

The serpentine belt tensioner had some wear groves a little lip forming, when I was driving it across the country, in AZ it was 100 and the noise happened for a good 2 hours I didn't add it up that it could be a tensioner or belt but the noise is sort of coming from the center/right side of the dash meaning it's most noticeable in that area but while driving it's hard to tell. I didn't think to turn the AC off then around here in Los Angeles too many cars on the fwy to get an accurate reading as you are always speeding up and slowing down. But trying the AC here and there its just not the same meaning I can't get it to make the noise sometimes it sounds like the tires and certain roads but I bought new tires to take care of that. So far so good I guess

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I guess the timing belt job might happen this next week. I need to figure out if i have the time my luck the bolt will break off and I'll be stuck trying to get a helicoil on

Thanks
      I guess the timing belt job might happen this next week. I need to figure out if i have the time my luck the bolt will break off and I'll be stuck trying to get a helicoil on

It may be hard to tell but can you hear the noise inside the engine compartment when the AC is on? What about where just the heater is on?
      The reason I ask is that it could be a blower motor if it’s near the center right of the dash. Just an after thought

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      The blower motor is on most of the time but I never thought about it being the issue, but I never hear it at low speeds or idle or around town only on the fwy... Usually between 65-70 but lately I've been driving 65-70 and only heard it once harder now due to winter (well if you can call Los Angeles winter at 70-75 daytime) I have a stick shift so it revs to 3500-4k all the time and I don't hear it 65 is 3k rpm but again it is not consistent. ... I'm not as worried as I was since I know it's not my bearing like I though then I thought it was center bearing but that's for rear wheel drive I saw a youtube video and it sounded similar.