•  

Thread: starts. drives a mile then lays down

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

starts. drives a mile then lays down

09 Aveo 72K has had throttle body codes before...has had new throttle body installed by chevy..had ecm re cal same time...thats been 2 yrs ago...my son has car now drove today went few miles from house it shutter a bit then loss power..he says the steering seem to be stiff while getting off road...sit a minute restarted drove again..maybe a mile then repeated same thing...restart again drove back to house...says dash lights came on while dyeing...but no CEL while running down before problem starts??? The car is 50 mile away from me what should i take to check out??? Do Aveo's have ground...Power problem??? Car does restart though??? Batt is 2 yrs old tops Any thought?? THANK YOU

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Sounds very familiar to the problems i had about 2 years ago with my 2009. I thought my problem was bad accelerator pedal position sensor, or throttle body throttle position sensor. Before i started replacing parts, i noticed that the wiring harness to chassis ground connection near the ECM was corroded. I tried to remove it, it snapped off due to all the rust. I cleaned-up that ground connection, rebolted it down, and all the problem disappeared. Worth a try to clean up that ground connection in front of the ECM.

Deano

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
      Sounds very familiar to the problems i had about 2 years ago with my 2009. I thought my problem was bad accelerator pedal position sensor, or throttle body throttle position sensor. Before i started replacing parts, i noticed that the wiring harness to chassis ground connection near the ECM was corroded. I tried to remove it, it snapped off due to all the rust. I cleaned-up that ground connection, rebolted it down, and all the problem disappeared. Worth a try to clean up that ground connection in front of the ECM.

Deano
      hey you sound like your on to something!!! Ill load tools and go check for that! Thank You!

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      While checking the wiring harness to chassis ground by the ECM would be my 1st priority, there is also a remote possibility that the symptoms are pointing to a bad coil pack (misfire on one of the cylinders). But i can't remember from my previous 2 coil pack failures if a misfire would automatically trigger a CEL in that same drive cycle. Or only trip a pending misfire code readable with a scanner. Deano.

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks
      Another direction to look may be a bad fuel pump. That won’t throw a code either. Throw a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if it’s low.
      but being that you’re from the rust belt, check for the rotten ground first.

2004 1.6 Auto Rust Free
      Thanks
      So,
      what did you find?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Eg.h2o View Post
      So,
      what did you find?
      went and cleaned ground by ecm cable end was on paint cleaned era off get all back together starts right up dies in about 1 min sitting there??? had no fuel psi gauge then ended using shop vac hose to listen in fuel tank to see if pump runs...sounds like it is BUT DONT KNOW PSI? left as is got home bought psi gauge go back nother day key on 58 psi start car....never died????? drove around country block no die???? SOOOOO had kid get fuel pump any way...100 bucks off line going today to put in looks easy THANKS for help!