•  

Thread: Replaced blower motor resistor 3 times

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Replaced blower motor resistor 3 times

Hello everyone.

Have a 2006 Chevy Aveo LT Hatchback that has been great for the past 180,000 miles...until recently.

Blower only works on number 4 setting.

I have changed the blower motor resistor 4 times. the first time, it lasted a year or so. that was in NJ.

then i moved down to Homosassa, FL and the same symptom occurred: fan only works on 4. so, i replaced the resistor again and this time it only lasted a couple of weeks. i replaced again and this time, it only lasted 2 days.

I've seen a lot of posts regarding changing the blower motor but could it really be that if it works on the number 4 setting, and when the resistor is replaced?

I thought for sure that I had seen some article about changing something else (a fuse???) but I can't find it anymore.

anyone have any ideas on how to fix this pesky problem, other than taking it to the (dealer) shop where they'll charge me an arm and two legs?

thank you in advance for your help,
      -charlie

Thanks
      https://www.familyhandyman.com/autom...motor/view-all

replacing the resistor with Resistor module

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by uk stomper View Post
      https://www.familyhandyman.com/autom...motor/view-all

replacing the resistor with Resistor module
      Thanks UK Stomper.

however, as i put in my original post, i have already replaced the resistor...3 times.

i am now wondering what is causing the resistor to go bad?

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Do you have the ability to continuously record the vehicle voltage while you are driving? If you have a Bluetooth OBD scanner and the torque app, you can record it then graph the data in Excel.
      It's a long shot, but maybe your voltage regulator is failing and damaging the resistor.

Thanks
      EAD15,
      no, I do not have the ability to record the vehicle voltage as I do not have a Bluetooth OBD scanner.

the idea sounds interesting enough though, except for one thing. if the voltage regulator was failing, would it not affect other electrical parts, such as lights, battery, etc.?

Or, does the blower motor have its own voltage regulator? if so, where is it located? would a non-mechanic like me be able to replace it?

thanks for the idea!
      I will wait to see if anyone else has any other ideas?

like i said originally, i vaguely remember a post (not sure if it was on this forum or elsewhere) where person had replaced the resistor multiple times but it turned out to be something else. so, i will do a bit more web searching too.

heat isn't too bad down here in homosassa so it's not a big deal. and, it works on the number 4 setting, even without the resistor.

thanks again.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      The voltage regulator is part of the alternator. The blower motor doesn't have one.

You could check the system voltage in your driveway by using a multimeter on the battery and having someone sit in the car and hold various RPM. Only reason I suggested the drive logging method as I had a regulator failing that didn't show up except when the car was on the highway, but YMMV.

Edit: As for affecting other electrical items it probably would (that's why I think it's a long shot), but I've also learned electrical problems can manifest in strange ways.
      Last edited by EAD15; 04-26-2017 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks
      Thanks EAD15.

don't have a multimeter either. I know I can get one pretty cheaply at the auto parts store as I've them there. So, something to consider.

I guess for now, I am going to try a different brand of the resistor. I've been buying the least expensive one and maybe I'm getting what I pay for. Do that probably monday of coming week as I'm going away for the weekend...on a another car.

thanks again.

Anyone else have other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by EAD15 View Post
      The voltage regulator is part of the alternator. The blower motor doesn't have one.

You could check the system voltage in your driveway by using a multimeter on the battery and having someone sit in the car and hold various RPM. Only reason I suggested the drive logging method as I had a regulator failing that didn't show up except when the car was on the highway, but YMMV.

Edit: As for affecting other electrical items it probably would (that's why I think it's a long shot), but I've also learned electrical problems can manifest in strange ways.