•  

Thread: How to: Fix your Aveo Clock

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

How to: Fix your Aveo Clock

I read a few post on here about broken clocks, that do not save settings after the ignition is turned off. Here is a write up and a simple way to fix the clock without paying $100 (outright absurd!).

1.) Remove the clock cover. It comes off very easily with a narrow screwdriver. Just pry it up at the front (halfway to the right and halfway to the left). Then pry it up around the cover. Do not worry about breaking it. Its pretty robust and not the end of the world if you do break it. It will work fine missing a peg. Really though, do not worry!

2.) You will then see two phillips head screws holding the clock in. Unscrew those.

3.) There is a connector in the back which is easy to get off. Press at the top of the connector and and then pull.

4.) The clock has tabs all around it. again, easy to pry them up and pull the clock apart. It will be self explanatory at this point. just pull it apart!

When you get to the circuit board, you may notice some slight burn marks around some of the solder joints. If you look closer (magnifying glass if you have one) you will see tiny cracks on the solder joints. These are called cold solders and happen when someone does not solder correctly.

I must say, my clock looks like it was soldered in a high-school soldering class. It was very poorly done. It makes me wonder how the modules look in these cars. If you are having any issues with modules or ECU, etc. I highly recommend pulling it apart and checking the solder joints, before you pay hundreds for a new one. Rarely do things get shorted and blow capacitors or resistors. Though, even when that happens the repair cost is i the pennies. Capacitors usually cost around $0.12. Though, you will most likely find a cold solder.

The clock is so poorly soldered, I just went ahead and re soldered everything. You can just touch the solder joints with a soldering iron ($10 or less on ebay). I add a small amount of solder to each joint just because I had it available. Re-heating it will be enough though. Be sure to hold it there for about 1.5 -3 seconds depending on your soldering iron. I had my soldering iron at about 20 watts. If you have a hotter one, you want to hold it there less. Hold the soldering iron on the solder joint just enough to melt the solder and then give it another .5 seconds before pulling it away. Most of the crack will be found on the opposite side of the big white connector. I recommend doing any solder that looks even partially like a crack. So you do not have to do this again anytime soon!

Here are some photos of the circuit board on mine where you can see the cold solders (I lost count of how many there are):

You can see the clock cover in this photo. If you look closely you will see the two tabs in the front (bad photo is hiding them in the shadow...). This is near where you want to pry with the screwdriver. You do not need to be right at that location. Slightly off is better since the flex of the plastic will help pull it lose. I pulled mine about in between the middle and where the tabs are.
      Name:  IMG_20160917_190532.jpg
Views: 10677
Size:  316.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20160917_190548.jpg
Views: 9885
Size:  295.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20160917_190603.jpg
Views: 9531
Size:  304.6 KB

On this last photo you will notice two rows of 5 solders. The 5th and 10th solder (last in these rows) is most likely the culprit. You can see the circle in the square. This is the crack (cold solder).

Name:  IMG_20160917_190636.jpg
Views: 9956
Size:  304.9 KB

Thats it! I think you will be surprised that it is actually fixed and that you now have a skill that will hopefully save you from paying too much money for parts that you can fix yourself for free!

Last edited by pbody; 09-18-2016 at 04:20 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pbody For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-04-2018),EAD15 (11-04-2018),lemosms (01-22-2024),Markstack (11-04-2017)

Thanks
      Wow thanks for the pictures and great details!!

Puddle Jumper
      Thanks
      Thank you for this tutorial. My greatest fear was breaking the plastic cover by removing improperly. Thanks for the reassurance. My next fix it project on this car.

Thanks
      Just the solution i've been lQQking for... the digital clock in my 2009 aveo has been showing the incorrect time for the past two months, working perfectly since day one until now, i've been into electronic soldering for at least 30yrs, so this will be an easy fix for me.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      The clock in my 09 had just started "forgetting" the time recently as well (surprised it lasted as long as it did). Fix worked perfectly, was even the exact same pins.

Thanks
      Reflowing just the two upper and lower joints on the end of the ten pin plug worked like a charm, clock now shows the correct time after every startup of the vehicle, i also did the first two, upper and lower joints for good measure since they showed signs of being cracked as well, all other solder points left alone.

Thanks
      Yep the ten pin plug in had 4 pins that needed re-soldered on mine. Works great now, thanks.

What do you mean there's no turbo? gclark8's Avatar
      Thanks
      Excellent topic, I would like to have a go at mine while vision still permitts soldering. (age)

However, may I have a photo of the Clock Cover showing the Lugs that need to be released, please? Also, mine has the buttons across the bottom, I asume the same faults apply.

Edit: Price update for a new Clock, $54, see: https://www.gmpartsonline.net/auto-p...at/gauges-scat

cheers, George
      Last edited by gclark8; 11-21-2018 at 02:22 AM.
      no image

Thanks
      Great info, thanks a lot for taking the time to go over the detailed repairs. It worked for me!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to amrgym For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-14-2019)

Thanks
      It's 2023, just bought a 08' Aveo and clock was not keeping time. I also noticed that pressing the S button would reset it and when pressing H or M the light would just lightly dimm. Not anymore, all good, thanks!