•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check engine code p0342

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Check engine code p0342

Hi guys I have a 2005 Chevy Aveo and the other day the check engine light came on. I hooked it up to my computer and it said p0342 code ( cam position sensor A bank fly low input). I replaced the cam position sensor and after I did that the code was still there. Any more ideas? Thanks guys buy the way the car has around 95,000 miles

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Have you done a static and load test of the battery?

Thanks
      No I haven’t do I just take the battery down to autozone or something to do his?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Shoe0402 View Post
      No I haven’t do I just take the battery down to autozone or something to do his?
      Do you own a digital multi meter?

Thanks
      Yes I do have one

Thanks
      In order to do the load test, you'll need to have a helper, unless you have extra long leads for the multi meter, so that you can read it while inside the vehicle.

Start by checking the voltage of the battery with the engine off. You should see somewhere around 12.6 volts.

Then start the engine, turn everything electrical off, and check the voltage again. You should see a value somewhere between 13.5 and 14.5 volts, and we'll call that the baseline voltage.

Next have a helper switch each electrical item in the vehicle on, one-at-a-time. You need to watch the meter carefully when an item is switched on, looking for the baseline voltage to drop down for just a moment, and then bounce right back up to the baseline voltage. (some things might not cause a noticeable drop). Have the helper leave each item on, as they proceed to the next one. If the charging system is working properly, the battery voltage will still be at the original baseline, even with everything electrical running concurrently.

If the results of the testing do not follow the above description, then post back with exactly what is happening.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to avguy For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-23-2018)

Thanks
      Checked the battery today and it was reading about 14.6 volts. Turned the car off and hen on t dipped to around 10 or so then back up turned on each thing and it would dip but come back. I erased the code started back up and the light came on re-read the code and t was the same thing. I cleaned the battery terminal off and still nothing. I tried the computer again and there is a mode to read o2 sensors so I did that and it came up: O2 Bank1 Sensor1. Could this be the problem? I’m not sure why it wouldn’t have come up under read codes unless the O2 sensors are a seperate read. Night run it to auto zone to have them check it also

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Shoe0402 View Post
      ... I tried the computer again and there is a mode to read o2 sensors so I did that and it came up: O2 Bank1 Sensor1. Could this be the problem? I’m not sure why it wouldn’t have come up under read codes unless the O2 sensors are a seperate read. Night run it to auto zone to have them check it also
      Sorry but I have no idea what you're saying there.

Thanks
      Sorry I guess I rambled to much. So I checked the battery like you told me and didn’t see anything out of the ordinary it was at 14-6 and pretty much stayed there. I cleaned the battery terminals. Then I plugged the diagonist tool in and erased the codes. The check engine light went off for a second then back on. I plugged the diagonist tool in again and when I clicked on read codes it showed up as the p0342 code. I went down a little farther on the tool and it has an o2 sensor read and i clicked that and it came up as O2 Bank1 Sensor fault. Could this be the problem and not my cam shaft sensor?

Thanks
      What is the actual O2 sensor code that was read? The O2 sensor and camshaft sensor codes shouldn't be related, but they're both electrical, so nothing can be ruled out until the actual problem is diagnosed.

How is this vehicle running, and has there been any significant drop in MPG?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast