•  

Thread: Bought used 2005 Aveo - nothing but problems so far...

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Thumbs down Bought used 2005 Aveo - nothing but problems so far...

So, the wife and I just picked up a 2005 Aveo from a local dealer with about 126k (KM) on the clock. The next day my wife was driving it around and it overheated a bit (went to the redline for maybe 30s before she shut it down). We discovered that there was little or no coolant in the system (red flag #1). We replaced the coolant and all was well.

Again, the wife was driving and the passenger side control arm sheared one of its bolts off, and she almost crashed (this car passed an Ontario safety inspection by the way...). This was red flag #2. The car was just barely driveable so we took it back to the dealer and they "fixed" it and all was well.

On THE WAY BACK from the dealer, we got the dreaded CEL, and then later on caught a flat tire (totally unrelated freak accident, ran over a screw). We also noticed that it was knocking and clanking a lot from the front end, but on the driver's side this time (red flag #3).

So we took it to a shop we've used before and it was throwing P0300 (misfire) and P0128 (coolant) (red flags #4 and #5) and the control arm has a lot of give in it, which explains the knocking and clanking while turning corners and braking etc. (red flag #6) Also once it was hoisted up, we noticed that there were a few drips of coolant on the shop floor that came from the car. (red flag #7)

So we got into it with the dealer a bit and they've agreed to fix the control arm, and do a test on the coolant lines.

I really hope it's not a head gasket...if it is, has anyone else from Ontario had the head gasket done on their Aveo? Can you give me an idea of cost? We're at our wit's end and since the car was sold "as is" we can't get our money back or anything. Did we just make a very costly mistake?

So many red flags...

Thanks all

I'll keep it and add a turbo thankful_ragamuffin's Avatar
      Thanks
      In Alberta we have AMVIC, a watchdog group that oversees dealers. Here, there is no such thing as an "as is" vehicle sold at a dealership. They all have a 30 day safety warranty. I believe Ontario has similar legislation. I would research that before spending any money. If that is a dead end, I would first look for a leaking water pump (and do the timing belt if the pump is pooched).

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I agree, I would take it back if possible, there are too many issues, seems like the car was abused.

If I were a betting man (and I am ) I would bet that the timing belt is 126,000km old and will need to be replaced as well

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by thehunterooo View Post
      I agree, I would take it back if possible, there are too many issues, seems like the car was abused.

If I were a betting man (and I am ) I would bet that the timing belt is 126,000km old and will need to be replaced as well
      Actually, I think they may have replaced the timing belt but didn't bother with the pump and the seal got broken at that time.

Thanks
      My friend bought a 2004 Aveo with 122,000 miles from a used car dealer. After having it for a month we were chasing a P0300 code and engine light flashing. I replaced everything for the ignition for spark plugs, Wires, Coil, Crank shaft sensor. I noticed there was lots of pressure in the coolant tank when I undid the cap next day. Well it just got worse and worse. I told my friend I think it has a warped head because my scan tool showed 300 misfires on cylinder 3 and over 1,000 on cylinder 4. We order a cylinder head kit for his car for $650 it came with everything to replace the head and timing belt. The only thing I had to get was a few special tools and fluids. It took me 2 days to replace it. So far it has ran like a champ and no more codes. Im pretty sure the previous owner blew the plastic thermostat housing and it overheated and they got the metal version on there and decided the car was a money pit when they traded it in. When I saw the head gasket it looked fine but I was 100% sure the head was warped near cylinder 3 and 4. The cylinders still had cross hatch pattern from the factory which was a relief.

So far I had to replace all the brakes. Which the rear driver wheel locked up due from brake material coming off the shoe. The shocks and struts, Timing belt, oil pressure switch oil light stayed on and then fade out. Two front doors due to rust. Replaced headlight lenses. Inner tie rods and if anyone else has to do inner tie rods your better off getting a rack and pinion and a new pressure hose. There is a forum on the inner tie rods being cross threading and mine were from factory. Did outer tierods at that time too. Replaced the speakers with infinity's kappas and pioneer head unit. Repaired a small rust spot on the rear right quarter panel.