•  

Thread: The Bean / Lenny :: 2009 Chevrolet Aveo

1. Rest0redGe0Duck is offline What's wrong with my car?
      General Information
      The Bean / Lenny
      Chevrolet
      Aveo
      Metallic Black
      2LT Cloth seats, No ABS, NO TC, rear spoiler, automatic transmission,

I am the third owner. The original owner was a little old lady down the street. Any and all work was done at a local Chevrolet dealer. My father bought it from her in 2014 with 48k miles. I bought it from him as my first car in 2017 with 58k Miles. It currently has 93k miles. (October 2020.) All part replacements are as follows:

58k miles: New set of hankook tires (big mistake tires did not last even with with conservative driving)

65k miles: Power Sunroof mechanism repaired due to lack of use. It just needed to be lubricated and worked back and fourth.

72k miles: Coil pack assembly and spark plugs replaced (sudden heavy misfire one day merging onto I-264)

74,000 miles: all 4 speakers replaced with similar replacements due to dry rotting. for some reason factory replacements were not available.

79k miles: New set of Goodyear tires. (Excellent tires in my opinion.

82k miles: Passenger rear wheel bearing replaced.

85k miles: Timing components being replaced (belt, idler, tensioner, water pump, camshaft seals, crankshaft seal, timing cover gasket.) Basically everything under the timing cover. valve cover gasket also replaced was leaking for quite some time and completely disintegrated upon removal of the valve cover. (February 2020.)

both outer tie rod ends and sway bar end links replaced due to excessive amounts of play. 86,500 Miles.

87,500 Miles: power sunroof mechanism failure. sunroof worked back into the closed position and the fuse pulled so that the sunroof will not operate. I will most likely permanently seal the sunroof so that it doesn't start leaking. I don't use it that much anyway and I don't want it to start leaking and causing water damage.

87,400 Miles; sunroof sealed with clear silicone to prevent leaking. also, spark plugs were gapped correctly some plug gaps were almost double what they were supposed to be.

88,600 Miles. Full rear brake overhaul. Shoes, drums, wheel cylinders, and all hardware. original automatic adjusters were failing and causing rear wheel brakes to lock up on long drives. car now stops on a dime.

90,450 miles: Three check engine light with code P0175 For a lean condition. The integrated PCV valve in the valve cover failed in the open position causing full manifold vacuum to be drawn from the crankcase . Car was taken to a trusted repair shop to be diagnosed and repaired. Full engine power has been restored and is now running like a sewing machine.

92,300 Miles. both front wheel bearings replaced to to them sounding like lawn mowers. The antenna base also started to leak due to the rubber gasket shrinking causing water ingress. fortunately GM had a spark of genius by mounting the bolt for the antenna right over the trim for the dome light diverting any water that leaks in to drip into and through the dome light and away from the head liner.transmission fluid exchange completed as well.

93,100 Miles: heater core hose blow out while driving on the eastern shore of Virginia. I bypassed with the heater core with the remaining good hose to get home. All coolant hoses replaced to avoid any more blow outs. Upper and lower radiator hoses as well as any ancillary hoses have been replaced. The stock spring hose clamps were replaced with the tired and true worm drive style to avoid leaks and to get a little bit more clamping pressure.

94,500 Miles; front lower control arms replaced due to an extremely large amount of play.

96,250 Miles ac system service to replace failing remanufactured aftermarket ac compressor and ac filter desiccant.

All fluids have been replaced when due. Oil changes every 5k miles with Pennzoil full synthetic, high Mileage.

Modifications

TPMS sensors were removed and replaced with normal valve stems

•  

There are some minor parking lot dings but nothing major. The paint is starting to fail on the front bumper

•  

I found an OE set if carpet floor mats and installed them to freshen up the interior a little bit. I retrofitted an interior exhaust fan from a 12 volt PC fan to circulate fresh air through the cabin to keep the temperature down inside on hot afternoons. I tapped the full time power from the horn circuit and installed a simple single throw single pole toggle switch on the ground so the fan can operate with the key out of the ignition. If there is no rain in the forecast I will leave the passenger front window cracked a bit. But if there is rain I will turnnecirculation off and it will pull air through the HVAC system.

•  

The original 180 watt head unit is still plugging along. The CD loading mechanism is starting to get a bit of a temper about loading/ejecting CDs. The four main woofers have been replaced due to dry rotting. Replaced with a decent set of infinity speakers that fit nicely behind the stock grilles. I have not touched the tweeters in the A-Pillars

•  

The 1.6 DOHC Inline-4 and the Asin 4-speed overdrive automatic Transmission Completely Stock except the usual wear items that sooner or later need to be replaced. the intake hose between the mass airflow sensor and the throttle body was replaced due to a large crack around the circumference. Valve cover was replaced At around 90,450 miles due to the PCV valve failing wide open.

•  

None of the suspension components have been replaced. The rubber bushings on the front end have gotten a little bit creaky. UPDATE: creaking was fixed when outer tie rod ends and sway bar end links were replaced. the upper strut mounts could be replaced but they're not causing a problem right now. UPDATE 2: front struts and rear shocks were replaced . Aftermarket parts were installed for cost effectiveness. Genuine GM Parts would cost a fortune if they could even be found.

•  
      Comments: 0 / Views: 1648