•  
    Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will be the first Sonic owner on this forum?

Thanks
      Having owned a 04 and 06 Aveo sedan back in Canada, the 04 being wrote off in what should have been an easy fix, but the offset front collision totally destoyed it, and a 2010 Aveo here in Turkey, I can tell you there is no comparison to the "new" Aveo. I have had my 2012 Aveo now for nearly 3 weeks, and all the features, the way it drives and the saftey make me feel it was the right decision for me. All my old Aveo's had 2 airbags, this one has 8, (I believe it's 10 in North America), the traction control, stablility control, bluetooth, etc, make it a great choice for me. Also, and I know you don't get it in the US and Canada, the diesel engine. The old Aveo never had that option over here, and the mileage is truly amazing, the torque at the low end so much better. Maybe the price difference is big, but you are getting a lot more car for your buck. Just the tires they are putting on them here, Continetal Premium Contact 2 are so much more a tire then the old Hankooks. Just my opinion, but it is everything the old Aveo wasn't, and more.

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
      Having owned a 04 and 06 Aveo sedan back in Canada, the 04 being wrote off in what should have been an easy fix, but the offset front collision totally destoyed it, and a 2010 Aveo here in Turkey, I can tell you there is no comparison to the "new" Aveo. I have had my 2012 Aveo now for nearly 3 weeks, and all the features, the way it drives and the saftey make me feel it was the right decision for me. All my old Aveo's had 2 airbags, this one has 8, (I believe it's 10 in North America), the traction control, stablility control, bluetooth, etc, make it a great choice for me. Also, and I know you don't get it in the US and Canada, the diesel engine. The old Aveo never had that option over here, and the mileage is truly amazing, the torque at the low end so much better. Maybe the price difference is big, but you are getting a lot more car for your buck. Just the tires they are putting on them here, Continetal Premium Contact 2 are so much more a tire then the old Hankooks. Just my opinion, but it is everything the old Aveo wasn't, and more.
      As for what Steve B wrote previously I am in complete agreement, and so is my wife. As dependable and easy to drive as our 04 Sedan, and her 07 Hatchback were, you cant hold a candle to the new (Aveo for Steve B) Sonic that my wife purchased last week. The very first thing about the car that amazed me was how much more "solid" it seemed over its older counterparts. next was the drivability of the Sonic. Total world of difference. Drives like a much bigger car. Third was how much more room inside there is, and last was all the available options the car has. I still am very fond of my first generation Aveo and all the miles we did together that were trouble free but this new Sonic my wife has is pretty damn cool!
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I like the aveo because its like driving a "tin can" from the 70s-early 90s. there are a few reasons why some of those cars still get the "best" mpg to this day... weight, hp, correct emissions (not too much), low displacements, more aerodynamic (not raised front pedestrian crash standards). I understand the want for safety equipment being the only non SUV on the road at times, and how those SUV drivers can drive while texting, talking, checking email, yelling at there kids sitting 20 ft away from them in the back seat, etc.. but that does cause blind spots with thicker window pillars, we've all discussed.

I drove the sonic and cruze, it is definitely a different class of car. And not a bad car. I still think most cars are overpriced, because of what you can get for the price range they are in.. But the weight and feel of the drive to me were "heavy suv" like, I guess on the highway most people would find security in that. But even an A8L feels "nimble" on the highway.

(EDIT, i should say that is initial reaction due to the fact I went from my go cart of an aveo into a stock cruze and sonic for test drives.. I do not own either, so the long term ownership point of view I do not have)

I would LOVE to slam the Sonic onto the ground though...
      Last edited by petrified.rabbit; 05-17-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Hellaflush bro

Stick a rusted hood on the sonic as well and you will be styling on everyone.

Thanks
      I can attest, the 1.3 litre 75 hp diesel engine is more then capable of getting you around. There are many big hills and also mountians around where I live, some on the 6 lane highway with curves coming down and up, and a speed limit of 120 km, (a mere suggestion here, lol). The torque on the low end is incredible, I am able to breeze by gasoline powered cars going up, and the stability control, electric steering and brake assist are wonderful coming down, especially with curves. The improvements in the new Aveo (Sonic) make the diesel a extremely comfortable and fun car with a extra sense of security to drive over here, and again, the milage, couldn't be happier.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by NYChevoo View Post
      The cost of her Sonic 1LT with Connectivity and the 1.8L was $18500.00
      $18500.00...OUCH. Did you test drive any other cars in that segment? For that paper you could get a Mazda 3, VW Golf, or god forbid, the class leading Honda Fit.

Was the choice limited to only GM products?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Keep in mind the prices of cars in other countries are not directly related to prices in the US..

like a golf GTI in england starts at 25,650 pounds, which is more than $40000 us. While i the US it starts around $24000.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      Keep in mind the prices of cars in other countries are not directly related to prices in the US..

like a golf GTI in england starts at 25,650 pounds, which is more than $40000 us. While i the US it starts around $24000.
      Not sure if this is in reference to my post but I think NYCHEVOO is in the US, maybe in New York?

And I mentioned a VW Golf, not GTI, they are way more, but a Golf can be had for ~19K USD.

BTW NYCHEVOO is a one man stimulus package!

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      I was making a generalized comment as people including you started talking about pricing.
      And since Steve B is from Turkey i thought it would be a helpful comment.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Moral of the story is to only buy Honda and that NYChevoo is a blind fool who should have bought a fit because it is better than the sonic.

Last edited by thehunterooo; 05-18-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast