•  

View Poll Results: Hmm... a diesel Sonic?

Voters
    31. You may not vote on this poll
    • What's a diesel?

0 0%
    • Bring it!

28 90.32%
    • Never gonna happen.

3 9.68%
    • I don't care

0 0%
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevy Sonic diesel for the U.S.?

Thanks

Chevy Sonic diesel for the U.S.?

You can get a diesel Sonic (Aveo) in Europe - a 1.3 L turbodiesel with a start-stop feature. I wonder what's the likelihood of GM offering a diesel for North America:

GM (N.A.) already confirmed they're going to offer a diesel option in the Cruze for 2013:

2011-07-22 - DETROIT – Chevrolet confirmed today it will add a diesel variant to the Cruze lineup in North America in calendar year 2013. Diesel versions of the Cruze are currently being sold in Europe. Additional details on the Cruze diesel for North American markets will be released at a later date.

The diesel will bolster the already fuel-efficient Cruze lineup. Cruze Eco with a standard six-speed manual transmission, is the most fuel-efficient gas-powered/non-hybrid vehicle in America, with an EPA-rated 42 mpg on the highway.
      Source: GM News - United States - News

So, yeah, pretty thin on details.

And we already know that such an engine would bolt right in the Sonic, because the 2 engines in the Sonic are already sourced from the Cruze: the 1.8L normally aspirated, and the 1.4 turbo.

I would say the answer will depend on 2 things:

1) The price of fuel.

Diesels cost more, and most people buy them for the increase in fuel economy (the fantastic torque is a nice byproduct of oil burners). North Americans have a demonstrated tendency to stop caring about fuel economy when high prices go back down (or when they get used to the higher prices).

GM will not go to the trouble of certifying/marketing a diesel if they're only going to sell 100 a month.

2) Marketing.

GM North America is flogging the Sonic as a fun car for the younger demographic. Sticking Herr Diesel's machina under the hood doesn't mesh with that marketing angle. Yet the 2012 Aveo will have a 1.3L turbodiesel in Europe, and it'll probably be the best engine (for performance and economy) and the most popular. (No 1.4 turbo petrol Europe version though.)

A diesel Sonic would make GM the only competition to the VW Golf diesel in North America.

But... if I had to bet, I'd say reason #2 makes it unlikely we'll see one on this side of the pond.

Does anyone even care? (Besides Rabbit?)

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      i personal would hope the sonic/cruze revelation (korean cars built by americans) would have sooner followed the vw market groupings (tdi, standard, two versions of sport in the vr6 and 1.8t), if they were still built by koreans.

As much as a diesel cruze or sonic would draw from the market (lets face it it has potential for 70+ mpg) i can see NA builders screwing it up.

Wants moh powah
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I voted "bring it", but "never gonna happen" is more likely the truth.
      Sorry GM, the Turbo Sonic was priced too close to the Focus ST. I gots me a Ford.

What do you mean there's no turbo? gclark8's Avatar
      Thanks
      We (AUS) are getting the Astra (Opel) Diesel later this year.
      no image

Thanks
      gclark8 - I assume you mean in the Barina (Sonic/Aveo). What will the diesel displacement be?

Also - where does the new Barina's 1.6 petrol come from - is it a carryover from last year's (previous version) model?

FYI, the 3- & 5-door Astra was available in North America through "Saturn" dealers (with the same 1.8L gas engine that's the base engine in the Cruze and the Sonic in this market now), but GM dropped Saturn as a brand, and the Astra went with it after just 2 years (of low sales). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Astra#Saturn_Astra

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by wylee View Post
      I voted "bring it", but "never gonna happen" is more likely the truth.
      Ain't it the truth....

Thanks
      They may not offer it for the Sonic/Aveo here. But, it probably won't be that hard to swap the engine if you really want it considering the similarities...

What do you mean there's no turbo? gclark8's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
      gclark8 - I assume you mean in the Barina (Sonic/Aveo). What will the diesel displacement be?

Also - where does the new Barina's 1.6 petrol come from - is it a carryover from last year's (previous version) model?

FYI, the 3- & 5-door Astra was available in North America through "Saturn" dealers (with the same 1.8L gas engine that's the base engine in the Cruze and the Sonic in this market now), but GM dropped Saturn as a brand, and the Astra went with it after just 2 years (of low sales). Opel Astra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      You have more information than I.

My son suggested the new Euro Opel Astra Diesel to me, he has one 3-4 years old, and thought the fuel economy would suit me better. I only get 330km to a tank full.

Saturn used to be a Mitsubishi Brand in Aus.
      no image

Thanks
      Has Chevy released any additional specs on the engine they're going to put in the diesel Cruze? Last I heard, speculation was a 2.0L that I think they had overseas somewhere.

Thanks
      Well, I looked up the specs on the current cruze diesel engine they have over in the UK. Looks to be a 2.0L that pumps out a respectable 162 horsepower and 265 ft/lbs of torque! Can't say that wouldn't be a bit of fun in a Sonic. Of course, Chevy hasn't announced if they will in fact use that specific engine or not.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast